EastEnders: The Louise Berridge Era

• Members

I'm an EE fan here in the states. One of the local PBS stations here in New York runs EE Fridays between 12 and 1 am. They're currently showing episodes from way back in 2002. I've been dreading seeing Berridge's name in the credits, as I heard so many negative things about her time as EP with the show. It finally happened with this week's batch. One episode had John Yorke as EP, and the next had Yorke and Berridge as co-EPs. The next episode had Berridge alone. And so it begins. So, EE fans who watched during her era, how bad does it really get? Without giving away any spoilers to NY viewers, I know that certain long-term key actors will soon be axed and the Ferreira family that will soon be introduced turns out to be a total nightmare. Will things be as bad as I've heard? Already, the transition from Yorke to Berridge was a bit jarring. In the final Yorke episode, Lynne and Garry make up after her affair with Jason. With the next set of eppies, with Berridge as EP, no mention is even made of their reunion as the Slater drama abruptly turns to Little Mo's upcoming trial.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I'm in the minority, but I really didn't find Berridge's era to be ALL that bad. Maybe it's because I keep comparing EE to American soaps, where, even on its worst day, it's a quality show. There's lots to like about Louise's run. By the time she was gone, it was time for a change again, but I remember being really glued to the screen through much of the run.

And, IMHO, the Ferreiras weren't ALL bad. Although I much prefer the current Masood family.

• Members

Thanks for your responses. Maybe it won't be as bad as I've been led to believe. I wasn't a huge fan of the Matthew Robinson era, but many people loved that., so different strokes for different folks. I started watching EE here back in 1989 when they were still able to keep apace with the Britain airings. The first episode I recall was Pauline being hit by a car driven by Rick-aaaay and his girlfriend and some sweet Sharon/Michelle scenes (this was right after Den was presumed dead and Ange left for the US), and I've been hooked ever since. The show seemed so gritty and real. The show has glammed up a lot and I do miss the grittier, smaller, more character-centered stories back then, but it's still a good show. True, even the worst of EE is miles ahead of best American soaps.

Archived