AMC: How do you think Charles Pratt Jr. will do as AMC HW?

• Members

I'm going to reserve judgment until his stories start showing up. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. Yes, AMC has been somewhat more watchable of late, most because the vets are front burner. But the stories themselves are inane, and there's really no vision for the show. For good or for bad, he seems like a very focused writer. By the way, I wouldn't necessarily blame him for the changes at GH. A lot of those things were at Frons's mandate.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You better believe that Frons is going to be even more involved with AMC now. He and Pratt are very close friends and go way back to their days at Santa Barbara. Pratt only got this job because he's a friend of Frons, had someone else been head of ABC Daytime, we would've gotten someone else, I'm sure of it. Since both Pratt and Frons are LA based, AMC is sure to be even more Frons influenced than before.

I do wonder if Pratt could steal some of those fabulous script writers from GH and bring them over to AMC though. It's probably very doubtful since most of them are very close to Pratt's BFF, Guza...

• Members

I'm going to wait and see, like someone said give him like 4 months and if the show is the same or worse then I'll be the first in line to say "off with his head"(LOL not really but you know what I mean ;) )

Hogan sucked at Days but was good at ATWT, there are just some shows that a writer is a good fit for and some they're not a good fit for. For all we know Pratt might be a good fit for AMC.

I hope he learned something from consulting for Desperate Housewives and Ugly Betty

• Members

I'm conflicted.

I adored AMC. AMC was my ABC soap, I watched GH, but AMC was special, it was different. The tone Agnes Nixon set (which was carried forth by every headwriter until Frons came on full force) was different. Like Bill Bell, Agnes managed to give her show an identity. I think of it as very Main Line Pennsylvania, very old money with all the eccentricities that come with it. If I could compare it to food I'd say AMC I loved was like strawberries, sweet, fun and interesting to experience. Always satisfying.

And I love Charles Pratt from his decadently over the top run at MP, another show I loved. MP was nasty, it was wild and it was unapologetic. MP didn't give a flying damn about being relavent, MP was all about being delicious. It was junk food, like a good bag of chips or a chocolate bar. Bad for you...but who cares...it was good! And it was addictive.

I also loved the trashterpiece known as 'Titans'...which...in retrospect...was smarter than anyone gave it credit for. If Charles Pratt decides to give AMC an injection of 'Titans'...it might work. There are precious few clips of 'Titans' on YouTube...but the ones that are there illustrate my point a little bit.

Pratt and AMC is a mystery to me. I hope he works out. I hope he is a blessing in disguise.

• Members

lol let's just call Pratt flawless and say the GH travesties are all Guza's fault

if we can talk ourselves into believing that, then AMC will be perfect ;) LOL

hahaha

you could cut the sarcasm in this post with a knife :P

• Members

I think AMC becoming like Titans is not that bad of an idea. It is at its core what it should actually be: Family Drama, Feuding Families, Growing Families.

Of all the soaps AMC is especially supposed to be about the core families. That is when the show has been most successful. As long as Pratt works on this idea, and does not introduce crazy unrelated new characters, I think he should be fine.

I have high hopes for his vision if the Execs forced him to write a story breakdown three months in advance.

But I guess I should pray for the best, and brace for the worst anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder what storylines he is planning . It better be good. It looks like Jesse return from the dead hasn't help the ratings at all. Does anyone have any clues to what he might be doing ? :unsure:

Archived