ATWT: Van and Jake issue statement about GLAAD controversy.

• Members

http://www.afterelton.com/node/15002

I contacted the actors' representatives who gave AfterElton.com the following statement:

We were honored to have been asked to appear at the GLAAD Media Awards on Monday night. As actors, it is such a privilege to be part of this important evening. It was our choice not to kiss each other on the red carpet. While we love and support the characters we play, we attended the Award show as actors, not characters.

Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that's what happened, then they are right. They have no obligation to kiss, and they are not a real-life couple.

If it is true, tho, that they were instructed not to, then that's :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Despite the fact that they were there as actors, they were also there for a nondiscrimination award! Had they chosen to do it then they should be able.

• Members

LOL people were upset that they didn't kiss on the red carpet and there was a rumor that the show told them not to. Van and Jake put out a statement saying it was their choice not to. They kissed Tala Ashe on the cheek on the red carpet though.

• Members

Talk about "much ado about nothing"

I'm a big supporter of the Kiss Campaign too... but this whole GLAAD award thing has gotten WAAAAAAAY out of hand. The fact that Jake and Van had to issue a statement at all is beyond ridiculous.

• Members

Some people take soaps WAY to freakin' seriously. It's a freakin soap opera - ya know with characters who are portrayed by ACTORS. The ACTORS attended the event and had NO obligation to kiss for the fans who were there. Some fans need a reality check.

IMHO

• Members

As I understand it (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), a photographer or someone asked for a kiss on the red carpet, and they declined. The rumor that started was that the show ordered them not to kiss prior to the event, and the hard-core Nukers jumped all over that to add to their kiss campaign.

ETA: "Hardcore" was the wrong word. There are a lot of hardcore RATIONAL Nuke fans out there, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. No offense was intended to the Nuke fanbase. I love Nuke too. :-)

• Members

Sigh.

Anyone getting extremely tired of this war? No kiss? So what! There is a young, gay couple on a soap with ties to the other characters and they have a story! Just let it be, give it some time and there will be a kiss.

• Members

It's unfortunate that the actors felt like they had to issue this or any other statement. But I understand where an expectation might have been set. Fans of HBO's "OZ" will no doubt remember the seriously hot kiss Chris Meloni and Lee Tergesen planted on each other at the 2000 GLAAD ceremony. I think that a lot of people want to see all straight actors playing gay characters exhibit the same willingness to raise a middle finger to expectation. But that's unrealistic and unfair. However one feels about "Nuke" or the actors who portray them, I think that these two (very young) actors have shown enough bravery and willingness to throw themselves into the fray. This is the time when we the audience needs to tell them "Sit back fellas. You've done your part. We'll take care of the rest."

• Members

I am a straight black woman. But I really identify with Nuke fans desire to see Luke and Noah portrayed the same way as any other soap couple. The whole "just let it be and one fine day we'll gather together on the mountaintop" argument doesn't play.

I'll tell you what I am tired of. I'm tired of the AFA. The Phelps squad should stick to what they do best: masturbating with a noose around their necks.

• Members

I just think that we have come a long way. I know there is much more that needs to be done - in all TV - for the representation of gays. I myself am a gay man and would like to see the two kiss. But I don't think the lack of kissing sets the movement back. The story is helping things move forward. Just my opinion, hope I don't get eaten :unsure:

Archived