GL: Actress to jump to ABC?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am amazed at this endless speculation that Ms. Ehlers would jump GL to the ABC soaps. She is the top two actresses that GL courts on the show (along with Ms. Zimmer) and the rumors always swirl at the time when their contract negotiations start. It is rather silly to speculate or say a rumor about how Ms. Ehlers feels. Just because she is sad about RPG leaving the show does NOT mean that she's leaving the show, she's been through the ups & downs on GL for decades, and IMHO she's got it made.

Why jump to ABC soaps when she would start as #5 or #6 top actress when she is usually either #1 or #2 on GL????? If she does it is a DEMOTION for her to be on any ABC soaps especially coming from GL. In fact all these rumors running amok might currently worry the GL Powers-To-Be that they will throw more money at her direction which is exactly working in Ms. Ehlers' favor. To my personal belief and gut reaction, she will re-sign with the show.

• Members

Bc Guiding Light is a sinking ship? Face it things have been going downhill for a while and you can tell just by looking at the poor production quality. They are on a tight budget over there. I guess it dpends on how her contract negotations go but she might end up making more at another soap than GL. Laura Wright was one of the top actresses on GL and is now one of hte top actresses on GH. Theres no guarantee that BE would be demoted if she were to jump ship, especially if she had a supporter in Frons

• Members

ITA! No way BE would be stupid enough to go to another show where she wouldnt be one of the main stars anymore. Especially the ABC soaps, which have their very set star system. Heather Tom went from a big star at Y&R to a supporting player at OLTL, I dont think Beth Ehlers would make that mistake too.

• Members

GL is a sinking ship? It's a matter of "your" opinion because in reality ALL soaps are sinking along with all the primetime shows' ratings as we speak. When Laura Wright was on GL she was probably #4 or #5 behind Zimmer, Ehlers and Chappell, not quite the top dog as you indicated. She had a chance to stay in the role that was written for her but she opted to go to GH to play a recasted character, so technically she's a soap lifer! It's her choice and she will live with her choice, I could care less of the actresses who played Carly because Sarah Brown is "the" Carly and no one else. ABC soaps is known to pay their actors and actresses cheap historically because they throw in mandatory appearances for fan clubs, Soap Disney events, hosting jobs, and etc on top of their workload. The actors at GL does NOT demand more money as past reports have shown that since ratings are down across the board they are willing to take a pay cut because getting a job in television industry is very, VERY competitive and limited.

People need to stop making GL look like they treat their actors like crap or whatnot, and that ABC is gold mine (pass the cheese please). Remember AMC's Julia Barr, Vincent Irizzary, Marcy Walker, Cady MacClaine, OLTL's Dan Gauthier, Heather Tom, Roger Howarth, Nathan Purdee, Timothy Stickney, Fiona Hutchinson and GH's Genie Francis, Stuart Damon, Jacklyn Zeman, Brad Maule, Kristina Wagner, so on, so on, so on. Enough said!

• Members

ABC owns their soaps and they brand it to an ABC model which is kind of hard to decipher between the shows since they crossover a lot. DAYS, Y&R, B&B, ATWT and GL are renewed by their respective network year-by-year whereas it's the same fashion for primetime shows in broadcast network and cable except shorter time period. As many network executives said in the past, they don't know what the state of the soaps will be ten years from now and this is why GL is changing it's format to reach out to new and younger viewers. (I.e. radio to television (50s) and television to internet (early 2000s) and now studio taping to digital taping (2008).

• Members

Beth Ehlers being just 2 years older than Kelly Ripa, isn't too old for Hayley, but isn't right for Hayley IMHO. She definitely isn't too old for Cassie, but completely wrong for the role, Cassie would be 40'ish. Too old for Kelly maybe, since she's a few years older than Heather Tom, but I beleive she was playing older than her real age(Gina Tognoni is older than Tom I believe,but younger than Ehlers.). Beth Ehlers is 40.

I think Ehlers would be wrong for Liza. Nothing like Marcy Walker.

Archived