'Restless' wins for 1,000th week

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a phenomenal feat for Y&R to accomplish. I don't believe there is ANY show that has been ranked #1 as long as Y&R has. Shouldn't they be included in the Guinness Book of World Records?

Congrats to my favorite soap opera in reaching such a great milestone.

• Members

Well JP I can answer that somewhat for you. When Tad/Dixie reunited in 1993 (I believe it was), AMC beat out Y&R for the first half hour (In most markets, Y&R airs from 12:30 to 1:30 with AMC airing from 1-2) for maybe just that one week or for a day. I recall DAYS getting close to overtaking them in 1997 (they were only three tenths away)...but the next week, they took a nosedive

• Members

Y&R was tied with GH for #1 in households for the 87-88 season, GH had a slight lead in total viewers. However, during the 88-89 season, Y&R took the lead outright dethroning GH and taking over the #1 spot in both total viewers and households, a feat it still holds to this day.

In the beginning, some soaps came close, but Y&R always had a consistent grip on the #1 spot. Other soaps like AMC, DAYS, and GH would come close but they could never keep consistent ratings and usually fell fast.

In December of this year, Y&R will tie ATWT for spending 20 years in the #1 position. In terms of total weeks spent at #1, Y&R already has that record. In 2009, Y&R will be the only soap to spend more than 20 years at #1 position.

And YRBB, I agree, Barbara Bloom pimped Latham so much, and just now she's thankful to the Bell's? Well, at least Latham is gone now and Bloom has finally seen the error of her ways.

• Members

This is an amzing accomplishment for Y&R and, on the whole, totally deserving of it. Lucky that LML and her cheerleaders at Sony didn't reverse that achievement, huh. Or maybe they should be thanking B&B... GH... ATWT for failing to make the grade!

Still. Outside of Days and B&B, this is the one show that cherishes and utilizes its vets. Yay for them! They deserve the top spot.

• Members

Congrats to Y&R. If I remember correctly, just before the streak began in Dec 88, AMC hit #1 one week in December with the Ross rape trial and the Erica/Goldie/Sliver climaxes. When AMC was burning up the ratings in the early 90s, there was talk about moving it to 12:30 to compete directly with the whole hour of Y&R. A lot of people were saying that with the extra TVs turned on during the lunch hour, AMC would surpass Y&R. The plan was also to move the always-struggling Loving to 1:30, to cradle it between AMC and OLTL. None of that ever came to pass, of course.

• Members

The 12:30 timeslot would've hurt AMC IMO. Ryan's Hope, Loving, The City, and Port Charles all failed there, it would've put a dent in AMC's ratings IMO. ABC has never been lucky with that timeslot. Even when AMC was the #2 soap for most of the early 90's, Y&R was still beating it by around 2.0 households for the most part.

• Members

I think it was felt during the early 90s that AMC was so popular that its ratings wouldn't have suffered with a move to 12:30, and that the only reason it wasn't number 1 was because of the fewer sets turned on from 1-2 as opposed to 12:30-1:30. Ryan's Hope had always done pretty well in that 12:30 slot, at least from 75 thru the early 80s, when the quality of show began to seriously erode and some viewers started defecting. RH was still doing okay until ABC decided to move it to 12 to make way for Loving, which was really struggling at 11am. I know that Agnes was behind this move. Of course, RH's numbers dropped by 50% with the time slot change thanks to decreased clearance, thus beginning its slide toward cancellation, while Loving never caught on in the 12:30 slot. Not to take anything away from Y&R, but if its timeslot was moved to 1-2, and didn't have the lunch crowd, I think we'd see somewhat of a drop in its numbers, possibly to the low to mid 3's, maybe even lower.

• Members

The "few sets" argument isn't totally true. GH had been #1 for 9 years prior to Y&R dethroning it in 88. GH has traditionally been shown at 3:00 PM across most markets. Also, even when Y&R usurped GH in 88, GH remained the #2 soap until 1992 when AMC claimed that spot outright. By 1996 DAYS would claimed the #2 spot from AMC, but the whole ABC lineup was in some sort of decline by the late 90's. Y&R still beat its competitors (AMC and DAYS) significantly in households from the 1:00-1:30 slot.

Also, it's important to note that 12:30-1:30 isn't Y&R's main timeslot across the US. In many Southern and Mid-Western markets, Y&R airs as late as 4:00 PM and is the lead-in to afternoon local news. The CBS soaps tend to do their best in the Southern and Mid-Western markets as well.

Archived