Days: E.J.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My definition of whitewashed is not mentioning all the evil [!@#$%^&*] he did last year.

Now, The Hack will have him be this misunderstood hero who Sami will fall in love with........until Lucas returns and turns bad trying to get her back.

• Members

Is it really a problem if Days white washes it's characters? Isn't this the same soap where Tony was stuck on an island for over two decades, John Black was brainwashed and Philip was white washed over his actions against Shelle? This happens all the time and characters in general change at the drop of a hat. I don't remember Lexie, Tony or EJ ever being this close either or Victor being so involved in his grandchildren's lives. White washing and convulted storyline telling happen all the time on this soap. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• Members

Todd Manning is a character on OLTL who's gone from gang rapist leader to "tortured soul". Though his actions haven't been whitewashed. They throw what he's done (and he's done a LOT of [!@#$%^&*]) in his face.

Tony being stuck on an island isn't whitewashing his character. Neither is what happened to Phillip and John. They explained Phillip's actions for why he was so anti-Shelle. He loved Belle, was bitter she was with Shawn and was bitter that he lost his family. He owned up to his mistakes, and tried to move past it.

Whitewashing is acting as if what EJ did wasn't bad or he was "misunderstood"....kinda like how AMC began to whitewash Babe after the baby kidnapping. Suddenly she's a saint and blah blah blah (and this isn't a bash at you btw, I know you're a Babe fan like me, I was just making a point).

• Members

You're probably right Roman. I get tired of all the stuff that gets swept under the rug never to be mentioned again. No matter how some feel about EJ, he still did a lot of bad things early on. (Yes, I know, so did Sami, Lucas etc. but they have had many years to evolve, not a few months).

• Members

I don't think anyone is forgetting the evil things EJ has done. Characters discuss it, bring it up, EJ has admitted he's done terrible things--some people, such as Marlena and Caroline, are cautiously beginning to believe that he has truly changed. They are slowly forgiving him, and it's being done gradually, over months. DAYS is a soap teetering on the edge of cancellation; they don't have the time to spend a decade reforming him. Anyway, it's done all the time. I remember being stunned at how quickly Lexie was forgiven after she turned all evil Dimera and made Bo and Hope's lives a living hell during the baby switch storyline.

The reality is that some people will never accept or forgive EJ, no matter what "whitewashing" or "redemption" he undergoes.

• Members

Oh Lord. I feel this whole storyline...going south REAL fast!!

CAROLINE: E.J. and I share a connection.

SAMI: What? He gives you your osteoporosis meds? Well, you might share that with him. But I have his heart.

CAROLINE: You shut your mouth, you lying tramp!!

*bitchslap*

Yeah....REAL rational......

• Members

ok, Thanks :)

Hopefully they won't make EJ a saint, though. I see it as a gradual thing with him, and they did throw things in his face a lot (to the point it seemed to save the writers a lot of time/effort because they were using the same lines over and over again). The shift in how others saw/treated him, imo came when people like Bo started calling him EJ; but I don't think everyone is going to welcome him with open arms just yet.

and ITA with whoever said that a writer shouldn't write a character into a corner - something that HS apparently either didn't know or didn't care about.

Archived