DAYS: Monday, Sept. 17

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I must say I enjoyed today's episode, for the most part anyway. It almost reminded me of the gothic DAYS I remember, so this could quite possibly be a pre-determination of things to come. Everything was so dark, creepy, and crazy...I just couldn't stand it! Thank God for Ed Scott, thats for sure. With that said, what I *didn't* like and *don't* like is what they seem to be doing to Marlena. She's my favorite character on the show...I was under the impression she was synonymous with DAYS. Yet, nowadays she only pops up every once in a good while. John hardly said anything noteworthy today, so he just...stood around. I didn't like that at all. It might also be making me resent Ejami in a way, despite my being a fan of theirs. The world just shouldn't revolve around these two. I believe John & Marlena need to be all up and through this feud story(however out of left field it may be), but with seemingly positive changes upon us, maybe TPTB will rectify that soon. Otherwise, it still won't be *great* DAYS for me.

• Members

I didn't see it as Marlena comparing her situation with Roman and John to Sami's. She just used it as an example of the fact that someone can have feelings for someone else while also loving the person they are with. That's all. It was merely an example to show Sami it's possible and, in some ways, not wrong and really out of her control. There was no "propping." While the disregard of J&M in this feud story has been glaring, I appreciate the attempt to finally have Marlena being more active in Sami's life. It's about time. As for John, I could care less. He is a waste and the dramatic potential of getting rid of him is endless. It could finally give Marlena something fresh and worthwhile to play, something that I can't see her getting while still being paired with John. JMO.

• Members

I think the DH fans are FIERCELY protective of Marlena, and will look for anything to jump all over as the writers doing her harm. (And not just HS, but every writer) I didn't really see the problem with the Marlena/Sami scene until I read everyone's opinions. And then once I *looked* for the problem, I could kind of see their point. But when I first viewed it? I don't know... I watched the John/Marlena/Roman triangle, and while I do *not* see any similarity or "propping" of EJ, I do distinctly remember not loving Marlena when the affair first began. Was it good drama? Sure it was. And I loved watching it. But Marlena was far from perfect and severely flawed during that storyline (WHICH I CANNOt emphasize ENOUGH... I'm much more a fan of flawed characters... so that's not a criticism or a complaint.). And I remember Marlena's intense guilt over her feelings for John. And in complete denial over what it was doing to her family. And don't get me started on how I struggled with my love/hate of John during the affair story, after such a heart-breaking death story like Isabella's (which I loved).

Again, I loved the story. But I think people forget that on an episode-to-episode basis, it wasn't always a fun story to watch. In fact, many times it was frustrating and infuriating. I always compare a story like that to the BJ/Maxie story. It was a BRILLIANt story on General Hospital. And we all look back and think of it as the ultimate soap tale (and rightfully so... it is a classic)... but let's not forget how much Bobbie was hated for her affair during it. In hindsight, we can all see it as part of a bigger picture, a story with a beginning, middle and end. But when you're smack dab between beginning and middle, it's sometimes hard to see the whole forest through the trees.

So, blah, blah, blah... my point is, I'm sure that while EJ is NO John Black, Marlena could certainly empathize with the feelings of guilt and shame in Sami. And bring up the affair in response.

OH! And one last thing... whoever suggested the idea of Marlena walking in on Sami/EJ, as bringing it full circle? UNBELIEVABLY GENIUS. I applaud you and salute you. What a fantastic idea.

• Members

How is "using it as an example" any different than making a comparison? Semantics are fun.

Sami: ... I mean, Lucas -- he makes it seem like a -- I mean, why else would I want to spend time with E.J. Wells/DiMera?

Marlena: Sami, I recall a time when I tried denying my feelings for somebody else.

Sami: Mom.

Marlena: We know what that was about.

Sami: You broke daddy's heart.

Marlena: I broke my daughter's heart. That's not why I brought that up, though.

Sami: No, mom. It's not like that at all. I love Lucas more than anything, and that's why I married him. That's why I'm carrying his twins.

Marlena: Yes, I know. But that does not mean you can't have feelings for somebody else, unwelcome as they might be.

I think that's pretty clearly making a comparison by using her situation with Roman and John as an example.

And if the scene wasn't about giving EJ and Sami the Marlena seal of approval but instead about Marlena's history with Roman and John and how that affected Sami then rather then telling us about the history and treating us to yet another flashback of the kiss for like the third time in a week and a half then why not show the flashback of Sami walking in on John and Marlena? That would give the comparison/example more meaning for fans who didn't see the storyline the first time and would be a treat for fans of John and Marlena, even if they would probably still be pissed about the comparison being made but at least they would get to see a snippet of a classic moment. (It would also set up the Marlena walking in on EJ and Sami scene I am now dying for)

Just because I'm an Ejami fan that doesn't mean I'm blind to lazy storytelling with an agenda when it comes to EJ and Sami scenes any more than I am when they are used to prop Lucas and Sami. I don't even consider myself a DH fan any more than I am just a fan of good storytelling and this show giving Marlena a meatier role because the biggest stories in DOOL history with the highest ratings have been Marlena stories for the most part and I think she's been on the backburner too long.

Thanks. :D

• Members

It's different to me IMA. She didn't go in-depth in reminding Sami of how she felt being torn between Roman and John. She merely acknowledged someone can love two people at once. That was all. I just see that as being different then saying the two situations were similar. Both characters know that can't be when EJ did what he did to Sami and Marlena's situation was created by Roman's disappearance.

It just bothers me that everytime Marlena is in a scene with Sami the last year or so it's met with the same reaction. It's either she is propping EJ or whatever. I almost get the feeling some liked it better when Marlena acted as if she had one daughter (Belle) and we never saw her with Sami. I just noticed how nearly every Sami/Marlena scene this year has had a similar reaction whether it was propping EJ, Lucas, or Sami herself.

• Members

Today's ep is ANOTHER reason why I'm confident that DOOL is here to stay! :D They should have tapped more into the heart & soul stuff (Sami/Marlena). Is there an effort to get rid of Deirde Hall? If so, why on earth would they conceive such an unwise idea? Keep Hall in Salem, y'all!

• Members

If a lot of people have that same reaction each time maybe it's because each time they see it as propping. I can't speak for other people, but my objection to this has nothing to do with wanting Marlena to act as if she has one daughter of her own. It is because I don't think the Marlena-Sami reconciliation was treated with any depth or realism and it is that because Marlena has no story of her own and only shows up for once a month heart to heart convos with Sami about EJ and Lucas and Belle about Shawn and Phillip so it always comes across to propping as me rather than natural mother-daughter reaction.

I do know that part of the Marlena-Sami issues is the failure to establish what a normal Marlena and Sami relationship is supposed to be because despite them both being around 14 years and involved in big stories they never had the two of them interact that much over the years because Marlena and Sami were either estranged, or Marlena was possessed or programmed to be a killer or on an island or under hypnosis or whatever, so there is going to be some awkwardness or disappointment for fans whatever they do, but I just happen to think it can be better.

I suppose some Marlena fans hate Sami so they will be unhappy with any scene between the two of them, but I am definitely not one of those people.

Because the relationship as it was presented today just didn't ring true for me.

• Members

I see your points IMA and I know you aren't one of those people. It's just those people that irk me because they just don't seem to like Marlena having any interaction with Sami. I don't know what it is but I have yet to see a time of late where a Marlena/Sami scene was met without resistance from fair amount of fans.

• Members

Fantastic show today from the characters that were on, the visuals, a lot of the dialog and the feel of the show. Stefano's reaction when he realized he was in a coffin was priceless! Benji's intensity and determination made me realize how much he could have added to the show over the last year. And Frank Parker has been riveting.

Loved the interaction between Sami, EJ and lucas (and the cop guarding Sami's room who actually seemed to be more on the ball than the average officer with the Salem PD). Sami mouthing "no" to EJ before he said he loved her was cute, and I'll admit I swooned over his expression when he said it. The looks Sami gave lucas were great and so was the fact she finally stood up for herself. Also loved EJ telling lucas the exact things so many of us have been saying about his behavior (childish, barking orders, Neanderthal, etc). Liked the scene with EJ, lucas and Kate too: good thing Sami made EJ go along or poor Kate might never have gotten those clothes! For what it's worth, I figured Andre took hers to slow her down and give himself more time to get away with Roman.

The graveside service was just plain eerie -- awesome but spooky. A misty night time burial?? and Andre's taped laughter was the perfect finishing touch. Anna cracked me up when she answered that Andre is "sick" (after John asked why he didn't just show himself). She is such a great addition to Days, and they really should use her more.

Marlena's talk with Sami didn't do anything for me, but that's not new. Most of their scenes together hit me as forced and lacking in emotion; but the more recent scenes between Marlena and Belle have hit me the same way. It's almost like something happened during the Alex North storyline that altered how Marlena talks to her daughters. I'm a huge fan of hers, but something hasn't felt right. Maybe it's nothing more than the fact she's not getting much airtime; and same for John.

As far as the John/Marlena/Roman aspect of their talk, I do see the parallels to a point, but mainly with the early John storylines - as in before everyone thought he was Roman; when Marlena was totally attracted to him, terrified of him and yet couldn't stay away from him. When they were falling in love and bits of his past started coming out, including his ties to the DiMera's (being an assassin etc.) The sense of duty, confusion and loving both men also relates in a general way, but it didn't hit me that Marlena was making a comparison.

I do, however, believe that Sami has been sacrificing what she really wants because of her insecurities, and those insecurities are tied to Marlena's affair and to being trashed by lucas for so many years. She thinks she has to be someone other than herself in order to be loved and accepted: that she has to be the obedient and perfect daughter, mother and wife. She thinks that their approval will make her happy, and it looks like she might be realizing that's not how life works. I love it!!

And the promo looked awesome!! Hopefully they'll show it a lot because it will make the less eventful days a little easier to tolerate...

• Members

Bingo! That is the point. Marlena doesn't have anything to do. She's put on a chair in the pub and listens to letters about Sami's look alike dead aunt. The one time a month she's not doing that is when she's talking to Sami about EJ and Belle about Philly.

I love Marlena/Sami interraction. I don't like Marlena in scenes with Sami when everything she's saying is to support Sami's story or feelings, or to approve of what the writers are trying to present as the other option or whatever. Maybe you should read posts from when their scenes together weren't about that. What kind of fan wants to see their favourite doing nothing but propping up another character? Esp someone with as rich a history as Marlena and who is already so underused as it is.

Archived