DAYS: Monday, Sept. 17

• Members

Since I can't sleep... here's today's DOOL thread.

Monday, Sept. 17

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

kate_2.jpg

I'm pretty sure this pic is from the era that Kate was supposedly working at a fashion company. LOL.

Not that I would really call this "classic" but your clip of the day: Shawn and Belle chill out... the first time.

Now an actually classic clip that I would embed if I could would be this of Sami telling an unconscious Carrie that she doesn't think she can ever love her mom again after walking in on Marlena and John's affair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4vHOAyQRw

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK... overall this was an entertaining and exciting episode full of drama and the great lighting and editing I've grown accustomed to under Ed Scott.

-Why did Benjy have a gun and bring it to the funeral? How did he know Stefano wasn't really dead? Or was he just that angry he wanted to empty some rounds into his corpse? So stupid that they went ahead with the funeral that no one thought was real. But still I did find it intriguing that after all these times of Kayla not having the guts to pull the plug when she visited Stefano in Italy, Sami not being able to pull the trigger at DiMansion, Roman having his gun out and thinking about shooting him last week that it was a DiMera who was the one who finally had the guts to pull the trigger, even if the Bradys wound up thwarting him by putting that bulletproof vest on Stefano. Still pissed Celeste isn't at this funeral. But I love Stefano's freakout and the power outage, especially the end with Grandpa Shawn blowing out the candles. Frank Parker was stellar.

-Enjoyed the Lucas-Sami-EJ conversation. I am amused that Lucas is so at his wit's end about EJ and Sami that he doesn't even think about what a bad idea it is to argue with her in front of EJ nowadays. Kind of crappy he is calling her "crazy" and questioning her mental state over and over so I was also glad that Sami stood up for herself somewhat until she finally told EJ to leave and I was glad he didn't. Also loved the touch where you saw EJ's hands in the corner of the frame playing "She loves me... she loves me not" with the rose petals. Don't know if that was in the script, James Scott's idea or the director's, but whoever came up with it, I adore them for it. I didn't like however them putting the line in EJ's mouth that he saved Lucas's life TWICE. He has actually saved Lucas's life three times in the past 13 months if EJ is going to take credit for the beam lifting and the freezer truck rescue as he also rescued Lucas from the fire in his and Carrie's apt., and given this was a script written by like the one writer who actually was working at DOOL last summer I expect her to know that and present that truth, even if it goes against the current characterization of EJ as completely selfish and manipulative. But that sniping aside and even if EJ has already confessed his love for Sami before (when Lucas made him promise to move out of his apartment), it's nice to hear it again if only for the way that James Scott is perfection as he delivers those lines all quiet with his bedroom eyes... *swoon* Lucas doesn't stand a chance.

-What is up with Hogan Sheffer's obsession with people being trapped in the cold or heat and stuff exploding? I don't know if there is some parallel we are supposed to draw from EJ and Sami being trapped in the sauna by Andre and EJ getting injured and wheeled away on a gurney trying to help them escape when pretty much the same thing happened with Belle and Shawn in this freezer or the show is really just THAT redundant. But yay for Hope having the Salem brain and knowing to look at the pub.

-Memo to Bryan Dattilo: VENdetta, not VANdetta.

-Why didn't Roman tell anyone where he went? So stupid. Is it wrong that I am kinda sorta rooting for Andre a little bit at this point? He's just so good at punishing the idiots of Salem. Love the evil laughter and that he stole the chauffeur's uniform.

-But why did they have Andre take Kate's clothes? Was it just more misogynistic sexual degradation masquerading as light humor in Sheffer's world? Was it to have Kate and EJ interact in front of Lucas to embarrass him with a reminder of Kate's prosmiscuity? Or to remind us of EJ's lecherous past. If it was supposed to remind us of the EJ-Kate debacle as a sign they are not whitewashing that then that leads me into...

-As much as the Marlena-Sami conversation helped advance EJami and the idea that Sami has feelings for E.J. and as much as I normally like scripts written by Jodie Scholz, I still didn't like today's scene between them. AT ALL really. Not that we really have that much of a barometer for what a normal Marlena and Sami conversation SHOULD be like given how strangely undeveloped that relationship is after all the years of them both being on the canvas but so far removed from each other's orbits, I still think it just doesn't make any sense on either of their parts. I don't understand how or why Sami had her big epiphany last fall that she should completely and totally forgive her mom's affair and embrace John after she had that FANTASTIC anti-Brady drunken scene at Carrie and Austin's wedding other than it possibly having been somehow tied to the revelation that EJ was a DiMera but I don't get why that would trigger that 180 in her. I also HATE the way they are ignoring the way that Marlena should hate EJ with every fiber of her being after she not only is supposed to believe he raped her daughter, but also is supposed to think EJ shot John putting him into a coma and then orchestrating the hijacking of his kidney. You know, besides being the son of the man who kidnapped and tortured her for years because of his obsession with her. And I just don't get where this whitewashing is coming from after just a month or two ago they were going to such great pains to make what happened between EJ and Sami in the car even WORSE than it actually was with the spurious claim being thrown around by the characters that EJ forced Sami to have sex with him at gunpoint and all the dialogue about EJ and Sami was raperaperaperaperapehijackedkidneyraperaperapehijackedkidney after they had failed to have Sami act like a rape victim the first five months of the year. This show needs to stop giving me whiplash with their dropped plotpoints and lack of convictions.

And what was up with Marlena questioning Sami about her thoughts on whether Lucas might fail her? I mean there is such RICH history for Marlena to think that's a possibility and Sami to be insecure about that given Lucas and Sami's history so if you are going to throw out lines like that why not use it? Ugh and they have Sami sobbing and Marlena saying that Sami has become the woman she always thought she could be? Marlena always thought Sami could grow up to be an emotional wreck? What the hell was all that about?

I think I'm most pissed though because I have long thought there was a Roman/Marlena/John quality to this triangle but they are just bungling it all so much that it is robbing this story of the emotional impact it SHOULD have. If Sami is going to forgive Marlena for John it would have made sense if she did that AFTER she had an affair, not before, unless she was lusting for someone other than her husband from the getgo and if that was the case they should have shown it to make that clear that's why that happened. Also, it was so awkward the way they just had Marlena talk about Sami's feelings for EJ in comparison to hers with John so clinically and out of the blue, even if she is a psychiatrist, as there just seemed to be so much emotional detachment talking about it and it's such a waste because this could be a BIG story for Marlena, too, if instead of them manufacturing a heart to heart between Sami and Marlena this way... what if just like Sami walked in on John and Marlena at the office that 14 years later it was Marlena walking in on her daughter sharing a kiss with someone that wasn't her daughter's husband in finding her with EJ. Marlena wouldn't be able to judge her daughter for that infidelity at all given her past so that would probably keep her quiet, but at the same time she would have to feel hugely betrayed by her daughter kissing the man who hurt John the way he did and confused/worried given Sami's rape accusations about the man she's kissing and so we get great Marlena angst as those things eat her up inside.

Yeah it would be dark and angsty and complicated, but it could be very good soap. I just feel like this is the show letting themselves off the hook way too easily for the biggest mistake of a story arc in DOOL history that they set up that last week of December last year and the way they are writing Marlena today makes me wonder if the real reason they are writing out John is that they can't seem to find a way to reconcile what they showed EJ doing to John with their plans for EJ in the future so they are just trying to make John disappear. I'm a huge EJ fan and could give a crap about John for the most part, but even I don't think that's right if that's the case. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Now all that said... I did love when Marlena yelled "SAMI!" when she was freaking out over Roman and Marlena just gave her that cold stare. I sort of got a flashback to the Marlena of old, the Marlena of the 90s who I loved and didn't take any crap from her daughter or suffer fools gladly, the Marlena before SSK and Melaswen and Alex North damaged the character so much. Damn I miss her.

• Members

Really good show today! I thought it was very edge-of-your-seat dramatic. There were some silly things that didn't make sense (Andre taking Kate's clothes), but I'm trying to just overlook those things and enjoy the good stuff--and there was a lot of that today.

So evidently not even Benjy believed Stefano's death was real. Good thing Roman thought to put the bullet proof vest on him! Andre is clearly several steps ahead of the Bradys and the Salem PD. He seems to have a well thought out plan. I'm hoping Kate remembers at some point that Andre was taping her conversation with Roman, because I think Roman's phone call to Bo was actually not him but the editied recording.

Frank Parker has done such a wonderful job with his scenes. Not much dialogue, but he's doing great stuff with his facial expressions and his eyes. The flashback revealed the surprising twist that Santo's wife is still alive--or at least Stefano said she was. Is he telling the truth and Santo is deceiving Colleen? Or does Stefano not know his mother has died? Or is Stefano lying? I have a horrible idea of where this may be leading, and if I'm right then I can understand Grandpa Shawn's despair and deep hatred of Stefano.

I was glad EJ called out Lucas on his treatment of Sami. Loved those scenes, especially EJ in the background with the flower. Very cute and a nice break from all the heavy drama today.

• Members

Yeah, I think the Kate's missing clothes things was a little odd but it appears that we are going to see what happened in the pub between Roman and Andre after the fact (not by the preview) so maybe that will explain it.

Another great episode very packed with everything you want. Marlena's stare down of Sami was excellent.

• Members

Perhaps there was a scene cut out today that had Andre ordering Kate to strip in front of him, as a way to remind her of her past. Who knows? If so, we didn't need that scene at the end with Andre in the alley with an unconscious Williams.

Today's episode had this creepy feeling to it today. Very edge of your seat stuff. It reminded me of DAYS when the SSK was in full force. The cemetary scenes were real good as were the funeral scenes. Only on DAYS would you have Stefano wake up in the middle of his own funeral and wonder what the heck he was doing in a coffin. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing happen on a soap.

Ed Scott is doing a real good job with DAYS production wise.

• Members

Superb show today. Loved the gothic feel. Very creepy.

EJ calling out Lucas was nice and I enjoyed them finding Kate naked. It was likely just Andre having fun so I don't see a need to have them show a scene explaining that. It would be unnecessary IMO. Loved EJ mentioning he had seen Kate naked before. Cute, flirtatious moment there. Lucas's reactions were funny.

Kate in the Pub hanging from a noose was freaky. Good dramatic scene though with her, Roman, and Andre.

Sami/Marlena was good too and very needed . Loved her yelling at her. Dee and Ali were great.

I also enjoy how Bo and Hope were all over the place today. This is why I disagree with those who say they have very little to do. Sure, it's not their own story because it is an umbrella story but they are very active. Loved it and the resolution to the Belle/Shawn cliffhanger was well-done. It wasn't over the top and there were no crappy SFX. Loved Bo's reactions throughout the episode. You can tell Peter is playing it like Bo knows he screwed up :lol: .

The funeral scenes and cemetery scenes were awesome. John and Abe together again was nice (even though Drake was a total downer) and I enjoyed seeing Lexie/Marlena interact and helping Benji. The Benji scene was great, as was Stefano waking up and threatening everyone. The scene with him and Abe was very good. Frank Parker also shined today too. Loved that flashback. The feud story is getting a chilling feel to it. You can just feel this thing building to something big now. Ed Scott is saving it big time. Loved Andre's laughs, Anna being over dramatic, and the way they ended the show with everyone wondering about Roman.

Oh, and about Benji, he knows his father tends to "rise" from the dead so he probably brought it to shoot him and make sure he stayed dead this time. Simple enough for me.

The show is on a roll. Based on things I have read, it looks like the vets are back big time because they are even appearing in the B-C story shows now.

• Members

You actually expect them to write something for Marlena that includes real history - her history, actual screentime and dialouge? Wow, you're better than me, I certainly don't.

You do realize that Sami is now the "heroine" of this town? Saving everybody by sacrificing her true desires to be with the man she loves so she can end some made up 50-60 year old vendetta.

Again, you're expecting them to write dialouge, story and something other than the words "Colleen" and "Sami" for Marlena. It ain't gonna happen.

It would be dark, angsty, complicated and it would be BEAUTIFUL if it was written right (because no one does angst like ms Deidre Hall).

I miss the Marlena who was actually onscreen. I miss her unique voice, the emotion that comes from just a look or a word. I miss Marlena. The feisty, stubborn, intelligent, sassy, gorgeous and fiercely loyal LEGEND of daytime television. Someone said once that Deidre raises the bar in every scene she's in, and that's true. She's got the famous IT quality. The show is lacking something without her, and IMO it's the emotion and the heart. Even when it was campy, it had heart.

• Administrator

Yeah, I didn't like the Sami/Marlena scenes at all. I couldn't believe they compared the great John/Marlena/Roman triangle to this current triangle. I felt like they were using Marlena to prop up EJ and how they wanted us to think EJ is the John in the triangle. Didn't work. :angry:

Everything else was pretty good though. I hope there's not a break in action because I didn't see Andre or Roman in the previews!

• Members

And do you want to know why? Because the Roman/Marlena/John triangle was unique and that's why it worked. It was brilliantly written, the chemistry was fantastic and none of the characters were altered and changed into someone they aren't to suit the triangle. ALL three had flaws and they were all shown. Roman loved Marlena, but he chose his work over her and the kids all the time. John loved Marlena, but he could have been more respectful, he went after a married woman - as much as he loves her and she is his soulmate, that was wrong. Marlena loved Roman and was in love with John, she was the married one and should have left Roman after trying to make it work for a long time. However, what made it different was the history. John wasen't some random hunk who either got obsessed with her or that she met somewhere, he charmed her and so she slept with him. They were married, in love, they were committed to each other in such a deep way.

It's sad when Marlena - I mean, it's Marlena! - is being used to prop anything, especially something like this.

• Members

It didn't work, but what is so heartbreaking of it all is that if they had really played this as a real and fair triangle from the beginning without making EJ so so dark and one-note villain to prop Lucas last fall/winter and would have had Sami sleeping with EJ of her own accord but just freaking out afterward because she found out he was a DiMera and running back to Lucas then this could have been a FANTASTIC triangle and they wouldn't need to prop EJ now with lazy scenes like today's.

Because I think EJ *could* have similarities to John if they wanted to write it that way in that he does represent the lust and excitement factor that draws Sami to him, just as John did for Marlena and that Sami can be somewhat of a saving grace for EJ that Marlena always was for John in his tough times, and if they demonstrated some more of EJ's history to show how he is one of Stefano's pawns that would tie into the EJ-Sami history as well.

But I guess what today showed me is that if the show cares so little about Marlena-John history to not include their characters at all in the feud storyline at all then I'd rather they just stay away from their history.

And it's a shame this had to distract me from the rest of what was a truly fun and exciting episode.

As for a break in the action... Toups did you see the DOOL promo they aired during the show? Because it sure makes it look like the action will keep on coming.

So true. That is what has been missing from this. All of their flaws presented for all to see with no propping and no twisting the characters into a pretzel to suit the plot. I hope Ed Scott and the writing staff do a better job of this going forward.

Archived