Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Damn, what's going on with Zverev and Tsitsipas?? There were photographs of Zverev's father with tears in his eyes, apparently after being verbally abused by his son Sascha.  Apparently Boris got some of the abuse too.  Now this.  These guys are behaving very badly. Not a good look at all. I'm actually feeling sorry for their fathers. 

• Members

TBF, Zverev had problems with DFs and his game for most of last season, way before the exho. I mean, some people's biases are clouding the central issue.  Zverev has had problems with these issues for quite a long time.  Tsitsipas has always had temperament issues which he has barely concealed up until now.  Circumstances have unmasked issues that were already there.

It's fine to have biases and preferences for your favorite player(s), it's human but don't let that cloud your judgement on the essential issues. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I saw this yesterday and got a chuckle.  People at the All England Club must know that people change their minds and evolve their thinking over the years.  When Serena made this statement, 38 was a lot older physically than it is today, with evolved training techniques and changed technology in racquets and equipment.  Just like the attitudes about married players having viable careers have changed.  Remember when people used to believe that a married player's career would immediately go downhill? 

The folks at Wimbledon would probably chafe at being reminded of some of the things they've said and done (or failed to do) over the decades. 

• Members

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/daniil-medvedev-handed-code-violation-after-striking-the-umpires-chair-with-his-racquet/news-story/09c844087a80c82d888871c2374f2e20

Daniil Medvedev handed code violation after striking the umpire’s chair with his racquet

We haven’t even reached the Australian Open but we already have a contender for outburst of the summer. Watch the incredible footage of Daniil Medvedev striking the umpire’s chair with his racquet.

A chastened Daniil Medvedev said he will wait to find out from the ATP if he is in line for any further sanctions after he twice struck the umpire’s chair with his racquet during his ATP Cup win over Diego Schwartzman.

After a verbal confrontation with the Argentine, which Medvedev said occurred when his opponent failed to acknowledge winning a point from a let cord, the Russian then took out his frustrations on chair umpire Mohamed Lahyani. Or more specifically, the chair itself.

Medvedev said he was initially frustrated when he was trying to find out whether he received a warning for the incident with Schwartzman, before Lahyani ultimately handed down a point penalty.

“The second code violation for sure was deserved, so I don’t argue,” he said of striking the chair.

“In fact, why I got the second one was because I was arguing with the first one because I didn’t hear it.”

Medvedev said it was “not for him to decide” whether the highly unusual incident would be taken any further.

“Nothing happened to the chair, nothing happened to anybody, I didn’t break my racquet,” he said.

“I would say I got a code violation. I will get a fine. Usually when you get a code violation you get a fine for code violation. I don’t think there is anything else to do.” After winning the first set Medvedev went on to lose the second following the incident but bounced back to claim the match, taking out the decider.

With Karen Khachanov winning his singles Russia claimed the tie and moved through to Saturday’s semi-finals.

'Tennis isn't normally like this, we swear'

WATCH: @Channel9
STREAM: http://9Soci.al/hv9n30q6Hao #9WWOS #ATPCup

Embedded video

• Members

A whole bunch of people should've been DQed this week.  If Pliskova didn't get DQed for smashing a hole into the chair umpire's station, I doubt Medvedev was going to get more than a fine.  In addition to having these obscure rules about footfaults, 'not up' balls and the like, tennis needs to have some clarity on constitutes abuse, in all its forms. Don't allow spectators to verbally abuse or goad players, which I've seen, have some specific guidelines that penalize players who hurl verbal abuse at officials including ball persons/kids (and in the case of minors, intimidation or coercion should count as a form of abuse), other players and even members of their team who are in the stands.  Tennis ought to develop some type of awareness campaign of the penalties for causing damage or injury to anyone in the umpire chair, a linesperson (e.g. Nalbandian) because I always get the sense that the players are only guessing at where the "line" is, and they end up crossing it often.

That the rules are not evenly applied is something of an understatement.

Edited by DramatistDreamer