Paris Hilton sentenced to 45 days in jail

R!ck

• Members

Paris Hilton going to jail for 45 days By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer

8 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - A judge sentenced Paris Hilton to 45 days in jail Friday for violating her probation, putting the brakes on the hotel heiress' famous high life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hilton, who parlayed her name and relentless partying into worldwide notoriety, must go to jail on June 5 and she will not be allowed any work release, furloughs, use of an alternative jail or any electronic monitoring in lieu of jail, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled after a hearing.

The judge ruled that she was in violation of the terms of her probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.

"I'm very sorry and from now on I'm going to pay complete attention to everything. I'm sorry and I did not do it on purpose at all," she told the judge before he announced the sentence.

She was then ordered to report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood on the set date or face 90 days behind bars.

As a city prosecutor said during closing arguments that Hilton deserved jail time, Hilton's mother, Kathy, laughed. When the judge ruled, Kathy Hilton then blurted out: "May I have your autograph?"

Paris Hilton was among a series of witnesses who took the stand during the hearing. She maintained she was unaware her license was suspended and thought she was allowed to drive for work purposes.

She said that when an officer who stopped her in January made her sign a document stating her license was suspended, she thought he was mistaken and did not actually look at the document.

Hilton arrived at the courthouse 10 minutes after the scheduled 1:30 p.m. start time of the hearing.

The heiress arrived in the back of a black Cadillac Escalade and swept into the Metropolitan Courthouse with several men in suits, ignoring screams of photographers lining the route into a rear entrance. In addition to her mother, her father, Rick, also came with her.

Wearing a gray jacket and white shirt over black slacks and with a black headband on, she said nothing and appeared serious.

The celebrity case brought an unusual scene to the austere courthouse south of downtown in a commercial area. As if at a red-carpet event, dozens of photographers and reporters lined up at the rear entrance. Yellow police tape substituted for velvet ropes.

Hilton, 26, pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. Police said she appeared intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. She had a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent, the level at which an adult driver is in violation of the law.

She was sentenced to 36 months probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

Two other traffic stops and failure to enroll in a mandated alcohol education program are what landed the socialite back in court.

On Jan. 15, Hilton was pulled over by California Highway Patrol. Officers informed her that she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging that she was not to drive, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies stopped Hilton on Feb. 27 and charged her with violating her probation. Police said she was pulled over at about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off.

Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz, said at the time Hilton wasn't aware her license was suspended. A copy of the document Hilton signed on Jan. 15 was found in the car's glove compartment, court papers say.

Hilton was also required to enroll in an alcohol education program by Feb. 12. As of April 17, she had not enrolled, prosecutors said.

Hilton, heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, first gained notoriety for her hard partying as a teen. She attracted worldwide attention when a sex tape she made with a boyfriend was released on the Internet.

She stars in the reality-TV series, "The Simple Life," now in its fifth season, with Nicole Richie. She appeared in the 2005 film, "House of Wax" and recently finished filming "The Hottie and the Nottie." She also is a handbag designer and has a namesake perfume

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow you guys are too shocking....all this hatred for an around 26 year old woman? I'm laughing but at the same time deeply disturbed by it. Paris won't even sweat it. I'd be howling like a hyena as soon as I heard that verdict just like her mother. This is such a media ploy its lol worthy. Its only 45 days and then she'll be out partying again like shes supposed to. Like me and my friends will be doing at Mrytle Beach this weekend. Why should girls like her and Linds be punished for doing what every other young adult in America is doing? Because they're famous/popular? Seems to me like jealousy is the problem with America. People wish they had her money and her good looks. Or maybe the fact that she is not burdened with normal everyday concerns? Its not her fault she was spoilt rotten since the day she was born. So what shes used to, "The Simple Life". I'd love to live that life and I wouldn't do anything different if I were her...except maybe yell at the media more and fight back against all these pathetic people (most of them 40 years old and above) who seem so intent on judging the lives of people half they're age.

How is this justice at all? They're are WAY more important things to cheer about and go "wohoo" than some girl going to jail. I feel really sorry for you guys if this actually makes your day. Next thing you know Paris is dead and you all will laugh hysterically. Really people in general need to stop the obsession. She really could care less but I do since this is a human being we're talking about I don't see how anything shes done is "wrong". Why don't you go round up all the REAL bad guys including our idiotic leader (I refuse to acknowledge him as a president) and then worry about Team Paris.

Back to studying for finals. THATS HOT!

• Members

Its the principle of the matter. Here we have a spoil little princess who is used to getting her way and now someone FINALLY busted her little bubble and brought her pathetic ass back to reality. Why are we so happy that she is going to jail? Because she deserves it. She thought that she was once again going to get away with it by tossing her name and status around but thanks be to this judge, he is pumping ol girls break's. I don't know why you are so "deeply disturbed." It seems to me you are making an even bigger deal of it. Fact of life" Not everyone likes spoiled little princess. I'm not jealous of her. She shows a very strong pattern of having Histrionic Personality Disorder, not to mention she is not a nice person. I don't care about how much money she has. I can live without it. I'm living good now, I have no complaints. If she doesn't like the media in her face, she needs to quit whoring for them. The media is her pimp and she is out there on the corner turning it out for the camera's. Its that simple. She is nothing more than an attention whore and now it has hit its peak.

Its justice because she is not above the law. I don't know how many times that can be said before it starts to sink into some people's minds :rolleyes: . Duh! She was on parole. All she had to do was follow the conditions of it, do what she needed and she would have been done but no, she wanted to go out and act a fool and she got caught. Now reality has slapped her in the face and it was well deserve. You may feel that there are more important things to cheer about but its free speech, so if I want to celebrate her going to jail, you can bet your bottom dollar that I damn well will. I don't need you to feel sorry for me. No one is wanting her demise, but for her to pay for what she does. I bet if she was just some ordinary girl, there would be no hoopla made over it and people would want her to do the time for what she did. So why should Paris be different? Because she is made of money? Nope, not happening this time. They aren't purposly picking on her. Maybe if she wouldn't put herself into situations like this, she would have to go through all the ridicule but she makes stupid decisions and now she has to live it. And bringing the president to make a point is just not working with me. It still doesn't take away from what she did. Trying to put the spotlight on someone else, who by the way has nothing to do with her going to jail, is not any winning points. She f*cked up and she gets to wear a pretty little orange jump suit. Life is a b*tch sometimes!

• Members

Who said I was trying to win any points? This isn't a popularity contest....

And you're absolutely right. You're entitled to cheer and celebrate Paris going to jail. But I'm just as entitle to laugh at how foolish it is. Because thats exactly what it is. The "principal of the matter" excuse is overplayed. People are jealous of her and her status in society. I'm not. In fact I'm happy for her and I wish her success in whatever she does. I loved her first CD and "Stars are Blind" is one of my Top 25 songs right now. And honestly I do find the situation sad not because shes going to jail but at your reactions to it. I don't think shes above the law and I don't think she shouldn't have been punished. But I do think her punishment was a little extreme. I don't expect you to pity her but if we're really honest here its not about justice. Especially for the majority of people. This is about people feeling that Paris Hilton has somehow "wronged" them and is ruining America somehow so she needs to disappear. Well I don't buy that bs and I'm not going to jump on the "Lets all hate Paris, Nicole, and Lindsay bandwagon" because they do things that we wouldn't ever do\ and consider "inappropriate". Bottom line is that some people are obsessed with them and its quite pathetic.

PS IF you had the media hounding you all the time you'd probably realize at some point that its better to be their friend than their enemy. She knows the rules of the game and shes just playing by them. I'm not going to blame her for giving them waht they want. They are the sick people who have dedicated their lives much like certain losers in our society to following people around and revealing in their daily activities. Who cares if Paris is a partier and drinks a lot? Whether you like it or not she did NOT sign up to be a role model and she does NOT have to act PC to please people.

• Members

Didn't say this was a popularity contest, just simply pointing out that the talking points you tried to use wasn't taking the spotlight away from what she did. Let me remind me that you do not know me and making assumptions is not a very wise thing to do. I don't hate her but her actions I do not like and if I believe that she deserves to be punished for it, so be it. I find it rather sad that we are getting a lecture on how we shouldn't say anything bad against her cause you like her. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I'm glad you are a fan, but not everyone is and that is just a fact of life. That is just something you are going to have to get past, especially on a message board. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. I can only defend myself, and like I said before, I don't hate her. I don't care about how much money she has, and I'm not jealous of it either. If I was meant to be rich, I would have the money but I don't and I'm not shedding a tear or hoping to live her life. I mean she didn't even get her diploma for crying out loud. I'm happy of the life that I have. I have no desire to live the lifestyle that the 3 of them live. The only thing pathetic is them. They constantly stay in the spotlight because they like the attention and of course when you are in the public eye, people are going to talk. I don't have the time to be obsessed with her. I do have a life. My life doesn't begin and end with Paris Hilton. The world doesn't revolve around her and her be sentence to jail is proof of that. It isn't all about her, never was and never will be. If you don't want to buy into the reality of the situation, that is fine, no one is saying you have to. What I'm and other people are saying is that the punishment fits the crime, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE. No one is above the law. And that is keeping it real!

Archived