New York City Bans The N-Word

R!ck

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what you need to clarify. You said I didn't let you clarify/explain your thoughts. I can only respond to what is posted on the board.

On topic: I'm not a big fan of the N-word. Or the F-word. Or the other F-word. In any context. Anytime.

• Members

I don't understand how the city can do this without violating the 1st Ammendment. :blink:

As horrible as the word is to say, isn't it an American's right to say it? If words like faggot, b*tch, spick, chink, honkey, cracker, towel-head, etc. aren't being banned, why is that word?

• Members

It's not enforceable, so in essence it means absolutely nothing.

Sure it's their right to say it. Why they'd want to say it is beyond me. The reason why it's being "banned" is two-fold. One to tell the community to stop using it so that the white community won't (like that's REALLY going to happen <_< ), the second is to work harder for racial equality <_< . Now, keep in mind, it's taken the US this long to even somewhat acknowledge that there's a race relations issue between the black and white community. Getting the other minority groups involved would REALLY send them in a tailspin.

• Members

You keep saying that the reason is to make it so that the white community doesn't use the word. No one needs to say it, black or white. Not all white people desire to use the word. It's just hypocritical for blacks to tell whites not to say it one minute, and then walk down the street and greet a friend by saying, "What's up, my nigga?" And don't even give me the shpil about there's a difference between "-er" and "-a." I don't buy that garbage. The word is the word. Period.

• Members

1. I hate it when anyone uses it, period. I don't buy the "-er" vs. "-a" either. I do not use it, nor do I care to use it.

2. That being said, the gist is that if the black community gets its act together internally, that in turn will tell the white community to stop doing it too. The problem is that the the white community is going to do whatever it wants regardless of what the black community does because the use of the word is just one small detail of an over all bigger problem. What good is it when one white person stops using the n-word, but then turns around to attend a party in blackface or says something like "Oh, well you're not REALLY black"? The mentality is still there and banning the use of the n-word isn't going to change that.

Archived