SOAPnet's GH Mobile Marathon!

• Members

Um, how can I keep up with what is going on with GH when all I see in big, bright letters are

SPINELLI IS QT. I HOPE HE MAKES IT!-LALA, PLANET MARS

SONNY AND CARLY MAKE MY SUN RISE AND SET. KEEP THEM TOGETHER.-BEN, THE NUTHOUSE

EM + NIK = HOTNESS.-6 YEAR OLD USING MOMMY'S PHONE, FL

AWWW. ROBIN MAKES ME SO SAD. HIV MAKES ME MAD-KAREN, SF CA

Like, what is the POINT of this marathon exactly? I could see if this were a music video channel or something like that, but imagine what will happen if this catches on? Would our classic marathons run the same way? Picture it...that annoying, overbearing scroll across the screen during an I LOVE LUCCI Marathon:

ERICA LOOKS SO YUNG BACK THEN! NOW SHE LOOKS LIKE MY MOM.-BEKAH, WI

WHO ARE THESE OLD PEOPLE?-ELLE, SD

WHERE IS GH? WHAT IS THIS ON TV RIGHT NOW?-GH LOVAH4ALWAYZ, PC NY

Brian Frons should never work in daytime again. He doesn't GET that cheap stunts like these make people think our industry is a joke or trying to be something it's not.

This isn't TRL, or MTV. This is a soap opera channel. For once, treat it like it is!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a 41-year old who would never participate in this...

I don't see why all the disparagement?

1. G4TV had one of its' first bonafide hits when the allowed viewer real-time chat commentary on the screen during episodes of classic Star Trek (TOS). They have now expanded this to The Next Generation (TNG).

2. The younger audience universally craves interactivity. MTV has it everywhere, but from social networking sites to cell phones with texting to American Idol to online videogaming, there is CLEAR evidence that the younger audience PREFERS such interactivity.

3. Thus, finding a way to include interactivity on the soaps is one realistic potential route to increasing the young audience.

4. It has been widely established that the dying off of the older audience without finding a way to increase younger audience is at the root of the impending death of soaps. Thus, an experiment like this is inspired.

5. I find this Sunday approach very smart. It doesn't interfere with the viewing experience of those who prefer the classic approach (they can watch regular broadcasts), but it offers an interactive venue for those who will find it appealing.

6. Thus, while I would find participation in such juvenile chat unbearable, I think I'm not the target gender or demographic. I applaud this kind of marketing creativity, and hope that it causes a slow and steady increase in GH's viewership.

7. In the end, I see this as "no harm, no foul". I'd like to understand why some would have a negative opinion of this, if it does not infringe on their traditional viewing methodology.

• Members

Becuase there's a possibility that it could. If it catches on, every weekend marathon will follow this pattern, not to mention what would happen if they decided to do this every day and then rerun what was on the mobile viewing that night. It's just superdistracting.

And we find the same problem all over again...stunts and gimmicks to reach young audiences instead of merely resting on the laurels of GOOD STORYTELLING to raise the younger numbers.

And I don't WATCH SOAPnet for MTV-like stunts. I watch SOAPnet for the soaps.

This would be like ESPN doing text messaging live during the game...

THAT INCOMPLETE PASS BLOWS. TIGERS SUCK!-DREW, OHIO

They would never do something like that for a sporting event. Don't do it to the soaps, either.

How is this "inspired" exactly? It's pretty much a ripoff of TRL. I halfway expect to see fanmade videos popup during the show before the year is over, with fangirls saying, "OMG, like, I so love, like, Jason and Liz, like *LOUD GIRLY SCREAM*"

And the best way to remedy a problem is to see why the older audience is "dying" off, because not everyone who watches soaps are literally dying in a nursing home. Soaps have to compete with cable during the day(when it is FIRST RUN) and they need to have compelling storytelling to do it. I'm sick of these silly, stupid stunts.

• Members

Agreed. Please let us not have text messages during the show. One can hardly see what is happening on screen when they show the text messages. It it something of an distration that occurs when an network puts on one of those lousy pop up advertisements that advertise a program they plan to air later. I wouldn't want text messages during programs like the soaps or anything else either. Movies, sporting events, nighttime programming, etc. No more text messages. That is ,unless, you want to have splitscreens where while they run the program that you are watching on one screen they then show commericials on the other screen.

• Members

I can kind of see where they are coming from, but then it falls on it's face when all you are reading is text messages from a bunch of fangurls declaring their Carson or Liason love and that gets old QUICK. Anyone with anything intelligent to say probably won't even make it onto the screen.

• Members

You know, as silly and juvenile as the whole thing is, if they picked up ATWT and did this with it, I'd be using it every single day just to push the pro-vets cause.

Whenever a certain cast member joins the show in a few weeks...

WHO DA [!@#$%^&*] IS DIS BYTCH? - AMS, SONland

Whenever Brad and Katie have sex on the Snyder farmhouse floor (because you know it's going to happen)...

WHEN EMMA GON' GET DA SHOTGUN FO' THEY ASSES? - AMS, SONland

Archived