Best Contemporary Blues Album

After The Rain - Irma Thomas

Best Traditional Folk Album

We Shall Overcome — The Seeger Sessions - Bruce Springsteen

Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album

Modern Times - Bob Dylan

Best Spoken Word Album (Includes Poetry, Audio Books & Story Telling) TIE

Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis (Jimmy Carter) - Jimmy Carter

With Ossie And Ruby: In This Life Together (Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee) - Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee

Best Comedy Album

The Carnegie Hall Performance - Lewis Black

Best Musical Show Album

Jersey Boys

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Walk The Line - Joaquin Phoenix (& Various Artists)

Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Memoirs Of A Geisha - John Williams, composer

Best Short Form Music Video

Here It Goes Again - OK Go

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice set of winners except for Dixie Chicks.

Sorry I just don't like them. I hold that they had the right to say what they said, but I have the right to not like them or their music anymore. I just don't care for Natalie Maine at all and the way she way Ha Ha tonight just made me hate her even more.

• Members

:D Glad the Dixie Chicks, Mary J. Blige, Red Hot Chilie Peppers, Carrie Underwood, Madonna, Justin Timberlake & The Black Eyed Peas, along with Bon Jovi & Jennifer Nettles won.

:rolleyes: Absolutely stupid that Tony Bennett & Stevie Wonder won for best POP collaboration. Sorry that song of theirs was NOT POP, no matter how good both of the singers are. Shakira & Wyclef "Hips Don't Lie" or Nelly Furtado & Timbaland "Promiscous" should've won.

Also stupid that Vince Gill won for best Country Male. He's WAY over-rated.

:rolleyes: Just because they spoke out about W and his war I guess. But you do have your right to hate them no matter the reason since this is America and they had their right to say what they did about W and the war and THEY WERE AND ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! The country music industry should be ashamed for the way they've treated the Chicks. The Dixie Chicks deserved all 5 of their Grammys since they are the best country group of all-time, even better than the slightly over-rated Alabama IMHO.

• Members

If you notice Mulder I said that they had the right to say what they did. I believe anybody in the United States has the right to say what they want too. I do and they do. But the ones who disagreed with what they said have the right to not enjoy them or like them.

We can't have it both ways. We can't stand up and say whatever we want and expect to not have any consequences for it. They were perfectly within their right to say whatever they wanted about George W. Bush, but the country music fans or even the industry had the right to do what they did.

It is a two way street. It's a free world full of different opinions and not everyone's opinion is going to be accepted by everyone else. I agree that they have talent but I do not appreciate what they said at all - whether I agree with it or not.

I was raised to respect the Presidency no matter who was in it. I thought Bill Clinton had the right to do the things he did while in office but I thought the way he acted chasing women and not admitting to what he did was disrespectful. But I still respected him as my President. What Natalie Maine said went beyond just having an opinion about the war, and she showed what little class she had last night with the remark she made. After last night what little respect I had for her is gone.

I do not like Bush at all, but he is my President and I will respect his office for the next however months he is in there. I don't like everything he is doing, and I never will. So my dislike for them has very little to do with that. I hate the disrespect they showed, and that they continue to show.

You can think what you want, but I am perfectly within my right to feel the way I do and so do others.

• Members
Doesn't sound like you have all that much respect for free speech. Respecting the leader no matter what is what dictators expect of their citizens. The USA is better than that.... or SHOULD be. Were you as respectful during the Clinton presidency? Well?

Of course you are, and political criticism is part of that expression... in a free country.

What matters more to you? The citizens of the USA, or the public servant they elected? Bush's ratings are lower than any president since the polls were developed. If the Dixie Chicks can't reflect that sentiment what does that say for you and me, the average citizen?

Most of the greatest strides in this country have been made by those who defied authority, The American Revolution for starters. How dare we disrespect the king.

Would you have preferred Nixon stay in office? What if the next president turns out to be a Hitler or a Stalin? Does that deserve our respect too?

• Members

I have tons of respect for free speech. If any of you will look at my first and even my second post - I said anyone has the right to say what they want and they feel. We all have that right. But I firmly believe that just because I or you have the right to say something is not going to make it accepted or even liked by all.

My point is that the same right that the Dixie Chicks had to speak out in this free country of ours is the same right that the other people who did not like what they said to not like it.

The Dixie Chicks were expressing their rights as Americans to criticize their President and the war. They were perfectly in their right and I have no problem with that. I have absolutely no problem with anyone on here who says they do not like the war or they do not like Bush. We do live in a free country and that is fine.

But at the same time the people who went out and burnt their Dixie Chicks CD's and the radio stations who banned their music were expressing their right as Americans to do so.

Both are rights. Neither of them are banned by the constitution or by laws of the USA. My problem is that the Dixie Chicks wanted to express their right to say what they said and then expect everyone to be happy about it. And when they weren't they wanted to throw up that their rights had been violated. And they got angry at their fans for turning on them. They wanted people to understand their right to say what they said, but they failed to understand or accept the fact that their fans had rights too - rights that they freely expressed too.

Brandeis I have full respect for the freedom of speech and all the freedoms that we are given. And I would never say that any celebrity or any person does not have the right to do or say anything. But at the same time when we say something we need to realize that others might not like it or accept it - and that is their right too. And for a celebrity many times it might cost them a fan or greatly affect their career.

The Dixie Chicks made their statement at a time of great patriotic resurgence in the US and especially in country music. It is sad that it influenced it so much. She was perfectly within her rights to do exactly what she did and what she said, but for their fan base and their genre it came at a bad time.

As to your other stuff, yes under Clinton I continued to respect his office. And no I was not silent the whole time but I am not silent about Bush either. I have given Bush just as much flack as I did Clinton. But I have still kept my respect for the office under both of them.

And as to the Hitler thing I see that as something totally different. Neither Clinton nor Bush are anywhere near Hitler or Stalin so I don't see the comparison to free speech.

I agree with you about political criticism being part of the expression of freedom of speech.

I don't consider:

"Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas." and being spoken to a London audience as political criticism. It was an attack at the President - not political criticism. That is what I had a problem with.

Not once have I attacked either Bush or Clinton as a person. My criticism was always about their policies, the demeanor they bring to the office, etc. That is political criticism. And this country thrives on it, and has been built on it.

If the Dixie Chicks had just said something about the war or about the policy, I would have had a totally different reaction and I am sure others would have too. It was the thing they said, and then the way they have acted just like on the Grammys last night that have added fuel to the fire, and made it worse.

I will reiterate in the end.

I am pro-free speech, and I am anti-Bush.

I am pro-war for now because we are there. I want it to end on a good note. My brother returned from Vietnam and he said coming home from a War that you lose is the hardest thing ever. When our soldiers came home from WWI and WWII they came home to ticker tape parades and they came home heroes. Not the soldiers from Vietnam. If our soldiers are brought home now they face the same thing. I am praying that a plan works and our soldiers can come home the heroes that they truly are.

And Brandeis I know there is a fine line between respecting the office and freedom of speech. Political criticism can be done with the office still receiving respect. When you start attacking the person and not his job performance then that is disrespecting the office.

And I fully believe that a person in the office should have a great character and elicit respect from his nation. I fully believe that both Clinton and Bush failed on that. I have no respect for either one. Clinton greatly abused the office he was in, and brought disrespect to it. And I think Bush has too just by many of his actions. I am ready for a person to come back and restore the respect that the office of the President of the United States used to have. For 16 years now it has had none.

• Members

We'll have to agree to disagree, and I believe you are capapble of that.

I see no comparison between Bush and Clinton, I see Clinton as having been attacked personally rather than professionally, an approach you have seem to be against. Clinton was called all kinds of names for his personal conduct but at their highest his approval ratings were higher than Reagan's ever were and never sunk as low as his. The Republicans wasted years over a blow job, personal conduct, while the country flourished in spite of it.

No criticism of Bush has ever been so personal, it's all been about policy. If you want to chastise anyone about respecting the oval office you might want to start with Kenneth Starr and the whole Republican party at the time.

None of the impeachment process had anything to do with policy, it was all personal, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth especially now that we are involved in yet another stupid rich persons' war. Dick Cheney's family will get rich and people who have never been outside of the lower 48 will think he's doing them a favor.

• Members

I agree with you 100% on what the Republican party did. I think they attacked him as a person and I had a problem with that too. I didn't say I didn't. I didn't bring it up because we were talking about the Dixie Chicks attack on Bush.

I am not comparing the two and saying which was worst as I don't see a worst in the two. Both were bad. I have said many times I have no respect left for the Republican party but at the same time I have no respect for the Democratic Party either. Both stink if you ask me. The way they both have conducted themselves over the last few years has been terrible. That is the reason I am registered as an Independant now because I don't want to associate myself with either party.

I had problems with some of Clinton's policies and that is what I expressed. But as to my last statement, I think both have brought disrespect to the office around the world and within the country. They both just do it in different ways. Bush does it by the way he appears unprepared and his screw what the country or the UN wants attitude. It does nothing for the office, and brings disrespect. As to the blowjob and all the womanizing and Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman" brought a different level of disrespect to the office. When the country and the world is talking about your President's sex life and he is laughing about it, the office loses respect. He is perfectly within his right to have a sex life, but just the way he acted about it brought disrespect to the office that shouldn't have been there. Maybe I hold the office of President to a standard it shouldn't but to me when a man agrees to take on the office of President he is agreeing to lead this country - to present himself as above reproach, a person to be looked up to and respected, a person that can be admired. For me both Clinton and Bush failed in that big time. But yet while they are in that office I will not attack them as a person but I will attack and speak out about their policies and even the way they are handling the office - but never the person.

So yes we can agree to disagree. I just don't think we are disagreeing a whole lot. I am just not making comparisons. I see both just as bad while you only see Bush bad. I don't like either one of them, and as far as either of them as a person or as a politician I have no respect for either. I don't see apples and oranges - to me both are rotten apples. LOL

• Members

I won't even go there with the discussion. It is not about that. This started out as my remark that they had the right to say what they said, and I and others have the right to not like it I will leave it there. I will not discuss or compare The Dixie Chicks to the Republican Party. I just don't see the gain in doing so.

I said what I wanted to say. Those who have no problem with what they said will always see it one way. That is their right. There is nothing to be gained in further discussing it. Your points have merit and I said that. And so do mine. I understand that and that is all that matters. Disussing further which was worst the Dixie Chicks or the Republican party will do nothing to further the top IMO.

The bottom line is I don't like The Dixie Chicks any longer. But I have no problem with those that do. The same can be said for the Republican party. I don't like them anymore either but I don't have a problem with those that do. It is a right to like who you want to like.

I respect your right to see The Dixie Chicks as better than the Republican party or like Clinton more than Bush. All I ask is that you repect my right to not like any of them.

• Members

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the Dixie Chicks (I'm more into vintage rock and British Invasion stuff and Motown - yes I was born 25 years late), nor am I a big fan of either Clinton, and my opinions about Bush are obvious. And I understand your personal objections; I have many ranging fromn Tom Cruise to Mel Gibson.

What I don't get is why so many "country" stations blacklisted them. I thought blacklists went out with HUAC.

• Members

I don't think anything is out as long as it is what the fans wanted. Here in Tennessee the decision was made for the local stations by the fans. There was such an outcry from the fans that even if a station dared to play the music it would have cost the stations worlds of revenue.

The same thing with the Janet Jackson thing. Even if the FCC had said it was okay there was such an outcry. It goes to what I have said many times in regards to soaps if the fans hit the networks where it counts, they have to listen.

I think the country stations for the most part was scared to go against their audience. I have a buddy who works as a DJ for the local country station here and he said they had to hire people to just answer the phone after the statement came out.

Motown is some of my favorite music too. I like the modern music of all genres but now my favorite stuff is the rock music of the 70's. I could listen to it all day and night and never grow tired.

Back to the statement I don't think in the climate of today that the statement would have caused as much of a response. There would have still been those that didn't like it. But the biggest influence was that America was still in that Patriotic mode that they got in after 9/11. And country music especially was filled with so many songs that attracted that segment of the population. Look at Lee Greenwood's God Bless The USA - it became a hit all over again. You would have probably not seen as many stations ban them either.

I think there are alot of people who have even gotten over it, and many more that would have gotten over it, but the comments like Natalie made last night do not help it. When you do that you only further turn them against you. I guess she feels that she doesn't need them back and that is her right. And I do not agree with the ones who threatened their lives - that is way too far. But the average fan did not do that. And last night for the ones who might have been on the borderline of accepting them back as a favorite she spit in their face.

I was a big Dixie Chicks fan and I do love their music, but I do not like them any longer or respect them. I still own several of their CDs. I did not burn them or destroy them - money is too precious for me to do that. LOL But I just view them in a completely different light now. I guess you could say they just lost my respect.

• Members

I'm not getting into the Dixie Chicks debate! :lol:

Really pleased that Madonna won a Grammy: her most recent CD was terrific!

John Mayer and Christina Aguilera: both could release any piece of [!@#$%^&*], and still win Grammys. :rolleyes:

Archived