CW Network Pulls The Plug On "Reba"

Rhiannon

• Members

Exactly Roman....CBS cancelled Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Mayberry RFD all because they were all too contrified. As critics at over the years have noted about it "CBS cancelled every show with a tree in it."

That was stupid, and so is this. Reba is their highest-rated comedy, yet they want to cancel it? That's good, sound logic right there. :blink:

I knew it was the kiss of death when they stuck it on early Sunday evenings. I think the only reason that the CW renewd Reba last season was so the successful show could help draw ratings to and keep them from going under.

I only hope that Reba may not still be dead yet. Perhaps someone else will pick it up, or it will go into first-run syndication. I hope and pray it's not completely gone for good.

Reba is a very good and funny show, and the CW is an idiot for wanting to get rid of it. :angry:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tell me about it, Scotty!

There is a demand for something OTHER than New Yorkers, which we see enough of on TV every day damn day.

"Reba" provided us Southerners with a funny, surprisingly well written and FRESH sitcom, with an actually funny and talented cast. It's a diamond in the rough. It's a little rough around the edges because of the accents but who cares? It was FRESH AND FUNNY! And well written! They're IDIOTS!

• Members

This show was the best! I liked it better when it was on the Friday time slot. When it changed times, I don't think a lot of people caught on. The writing was on the wall when they cancelled it in May but brought it back. The CW sucks IMO. It's becoming UPN all over again.

• Members

Frankly, I think Southerners should protest outside CW offices with signs that say they're anti-diversity and that they discriminate against Southerners. That was the ONLY reason they canceled the net's HIGHEST RATED SITCOM.

Honestly, with the net's treatment of that show (promotion and otherwise), I never would have guessed it was their highest rated sitcom, that it was a hit. They TOTALLY considered "Reba" their black sheep just because of its roots.

• Members

ITA agree....who cares about the accents? I don't. Not everyone in the countries talks like people from New York or LA anyway. It has such a great cast. And the show is hilarous.

The big CBS 'rural tv cancellation' was in 1971. Seems like since then anytime a so-called 'country' sitcom manages to get on the air, it is ridiculed, laughed at, looked down upon and critized.

Just look at the Dukes of Hazzard, Hee Haw, and Mama's Family.

• Members

Haha. I'll agree. The Campbell's thing was ridiculous. But honestly? I think The WB MADE them do that. Remember when the show was losing money in the 10th season the WB? That's when the Campbell's thing happened. It lasted two whole episodes too, if I remember right. But it was product placement, and you can bet that the show raked in money in hopes of offsetting the financial situation.

The show in its 11th season on The CW, I believe, had a shaky start. But now, things are picking up. Things are slowly getting back to normal. They had to cope with the budget, the loss of key characters (Simon and for a long time Ruthie) and somehow add other characters in the mix so things wouldn't seem so isolated. Now, T-Bone, Sandy and the other one (can't remember her name), the Camdens' new charity cases, have sort of taken off. I think the show, now, is in fine shape. And if it's true that it's the #1 show on the network (I couldn't believe it when I read that somewhere), then they must be doing something right. Besides, it's a Sunday night time slot. It's great for the churchgoers. Go to church, then watch "7th Heaven!" It's like the "Touched by an Angel" thing in the '90s. I was hesitant at first, but I think the show is okay on Sundays. IT makes sense.

AS for "Everwood," I enjoyed that show too. It was killed before its time. We agree about that. But it's just a bad situation. It's like the "Another World"/"Passions" debate. I loved both shows but I fell IN love with "Passions," so AW's loss wasn't so hard on me. "Everwood" was given satisfying resolution and good closure, so I'm not bitter about that either. But I agree that the show should have made it.

And really, why must we blame "7th Heaven?" There really was room for both shows.

Frankly, I think we should ALL blame that horrid "RUNAWAY" for "Everwood"'s demise. "Heaven" and "Everwood" would have paired perfectly with each other. I understand the need for new programming, but frankly, I believe they could have built a network on just UPN and WB programming. Each show would come to its natural conclusion, thereby not alienating fans of popular series, and they could slowly add new programming to the lineup.

• Members

Reba was one of the BEST current sitcoms. I'm so sad it's cancelled. I knew CW would, even though, on Sundays at freaking 7:30 it still manages a good 3 million viewers, more than the Monday comedy block.

Also, Everwood should of absolutely been brought over instead of 7th Heaven (which I USED to love, just to clarify).

CW is in a tough spot because it has a lot of aging shows. Gilmore Girls isn't a sure bet for next season, Smallville is aging but still in great shape and gets fantastic ratings. One Tree Hill and Veronica Mars give modest performances, but even they are iffy.

CW is definitely in a bind.

• Members

I only saw a few episodes of the show, but this makes no sense. For some reason TV networks thinks all viewers are hip and trendy and only want to see shows featuring glossy people wearing expensive clothes, having sex left and right while making pop culture quotes and tossing out sarcastic insults. And if it's not that, it's shows that attract those annoying fanboys and fangirls who whine and scream if the show gets off the beaten path.

The networks don't get it. Why do they think shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, Reba, etc. were so popular? They featured real-looking people facing situations that could have been pulled from real life. Not everyone wants to watch shows with pretty people set in big cities where they live in big houses. You gotta have some balance on TV, and if that means showing "podunk" families in "podunk" towns, so be it. :lol:

• Members

This is the same reason why The King Of Queens never had the best relationship with CBS. They have moved that show and had it on two different nights, and was going to cancel it outright last season until the two stars agreed to lower salaries for this, their final season.

It just makes me sick that Reba, which was a good show on the occasions that I watched it, gets canned so that they can keep some of the stuff they have on that network.

Archived