OLTL has a Y&R feel

• Members

I just commented on this in the OLTL Episode Discussion. Hasn't anyone noticed lately, that with the use of the Vets, and some classic stuff, OLTL has that Y&R feel. I am really liking the show right now. I think Kay Alden is doing her thing at OLTL. If I didn't know any better, i'd say Jack Smith was in on this too. The show is rockin!!! hopefully Jack or Kay will become Head Writer, because we all know hoe LML just "Took Over" the Y&R

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First off....the show has the Y&R feel of Jack Smith and Kay Alden. Not the Y&R that we've become accustomed to under LML and Scott Hamner (or whatever his name is).

Secondly, Smith is in CA working for GH.

Alden was working both AMC and OLTL, but now appears that she's being focused only on OLTL. Why do I say that? Because a few weeks ago, it was noticeable that someone other than the usual writers were writing AMC. Now that feel is gone and it's back to the same shitty crap that we were used to before. OLTL on the other hand, despite it's flaws, is a much better show than it was two months ago. That is obviously due to Kay's influence.

OLTL appears to have gone back to it's days of using the veterans in frontburner storylines. We're just beginning to see them again, because in a few weeks (and I know I've seen the spoilers) it becomes more and more about them. And I'm loving it.

Y&R fucked up when they let LML fire Kay. She's a godsend.

• Members

Yep. I watched OLTL all this week and have noticed a huge change from two months ago. The same was said for AMC (my mom loves AMC but noticed a huge change when Alden "took over"). I hope they have Alden totally take over at OLTL.

I'm assuming that's what will happen. Smith takes over at GH (or at least co-headwrites) and Alden takes over at OLTL.

• Members

Argh! I know AMC was getting so good because of Alden's influence and since she's I guess gone now its went back a few steps. I guess they must think 2 weeks of Alden can make up for 3 years of McTrash... and those two weeks will all of the sudden make it better? I don't know. I think my judgement on AMC is clouded now since Dixie's senseless death. I will never look at the show the same way again.

• Members

I don't think your judgement is clouded at all.

Leave it to ABC to completely screw this up. AMC needed (and needs) the most help, but it received the least.

Maybe Alden was allowed to pick one or the other and who can blame her for picking OLTL. It had more to work with.

I'm certain that come May 1st Megan McTavish will still be AMC's headwriter and the damage will contine. Not that I think it's all her fault.

OLTL is no longer the bastard child of ABC anymore like it was under Angela Shapiro. With Frons, AMC holds that position.

• Members

I think it's highly likely that neither one of them has had time to get acquainted enough with any of the ABC shows to have had any effect on them at all yet.

But I still say I don't know how either one of them can even stand sitting through any of the ABC shows. They're all horrible. GH has been horrific for way too long now. But now the other 2 are awful as well.

• Members

I am beginning to agree with that statement more and more. OLTL and GH are still getting attention and things are trying to be fixed. AMC gets the shaft once again. I want to know why all that talk of Megan's dismissal was started anyway. Were TPTB considering it and then decided at the last minute the show wasn't worth saving?

Like what on earth goes through the minds of these idiots.

Alot of people say AMC is dead. Its so not true. Its just waiting there to be brought back to life. Mind you its lost alot but it can still be a great show worth getting invested in. If the right people with the right vision came along. Someone like Burton Armus could have been that person, or [S.W.S.N.B.N.]. I never got an explanation as to why things just stopped in terms of a regime change because SON reported one and then backtracked. So that tells me there were plans in motion. Then of course Jackie fueled the fire with all her "inside" information. Got all our hopes up for nothing.

ETA: Sorry, I kind of hi-jacked this thread. I think its wonderful you OLTL fans are getting what you want. Maybe I'll have to start tuning back into OLTL.

• Members

I have to agree. The OLTL vets have been getting a lot more airtime recently, as have been several other underused OLTL cast members.

We have been seeing a lot more of Viki, Clint, Dorian, Lindsay, Bo, Nora, and Asa. We are also getting a lot more of Marcie and Michael. And Carlotta, Addie and Roxy have been popping up a little more often as of late as well.

While John, Natalie, Evangeline and Cristian are still on quite often, they are no longer heading every single storyline the way they were only months ago.

I too think they are focusing a lot of their attention right now on OLTL and GH. I don't watch OLTL or GH, but I know that OLTL has a lot of major stuff going on for sweeps.

OLTL has really improved from what it was last fall. There are still things to fix, but this show is in a lot better shape than it has been for quite awhile.

Archived