AMC: Dixie and The Satin Slayer

• Members

Hello All,

Most of my posts on this board usually have me pro-Megan McTavish, but I'd like to put those feelings aside for the moment and state the obvious: Both Megan and Julie Hanan Carruthers have GOT to be out of their minds to let go of Cady McClain and the Dixie character. Granted, Cady only signed a year contract, and the Dixie character got lost in the shuffle during the spring/summer months of her big return last year... but here's the thing: Just recently, Dixie IS Dixie once again (likable!) - the Dixie we know and love, and there is SO much upcoming story potential with Kate being thrust back into Tad and Dixie's lives... Dixie knowing that Krystal is pregnant with Tad's baby... the eventual reconcilliation of Tad and Dixie... etc. Plus, Megan adores the Dixie character and the Tad and Dixie coupling.

SO... methinks something is not right with this picture, and that a huge twist is about to come to light (hopefully in the not-to-distant future!) I've placed this in the spoiler section because hey, if I'm right, this is indeed a huge spoiler! :) I'm feeling this way because things are just not adding up. Why would Julie/Megan get rid of their very popular leading lady? It's no secret that they jumped through hoops to get Cady back; Cady is here and didn't want to go anywhere (from what has been stated in the press); I've yet to read Cady's interview in the new SOW about why she was let go, but weren't "creative decision" reasons cited? Again, that seems like a lame excuse. Creative decisions? Then why bring Cady back in the first place?! And even worse, why kill off one of the show's most popular heroines when your ratings are tanking? Well, to answer the last question I posed - I can tell you why soap head writers/EP's sometimes kill off a major character: for ratings. Yes, as much as we fans complain, we often DO tune in to see our beloved character(s) get killed off (an example would be the Tammy/Jonathan storyline on GL). BUT what's so bizarre here is that Cady DIDN'T want to leave.

So this brings me back to what I was saying initially: In my opinion, something is fishy. We have "exclusive" interviews with the soap mags where Julie Carruthers is very candid as to why the Dixie character was sacrificed. Cady herself candidly "admits" that it wasn't her idea to leave. I don't know, call me crazy, but this screams publicity stunt to me! One doozy of a plot twist! Can you imagine if after the dust settles... it's revealed that Dixie IS ALIVE after-all?! And Cady and the soap mags were in on the ruse? Hmm. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But I just can't shake the thought that ABC/Frons/Julie/Megan would NOT BE THIS FOOLISH. Wouldn't this be the ultimate ruse for a possible ratings surge if Dixie IS NOT dead after-all?

Hey, if I'm wrong, so-be-it. But it's sure nice to hope that I'm right!

ChrisL

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what it is, but for some reason, I have the same feeling. Like, this can't be real...something has to be up. I think this isn't the real Dixie. The real one is somewhere and this Summer odd, slutty and icy Dixie that we got during the summer is a fake. I would totally buy it.

Remember we ALL saw Frankie murdered before our eyes and Alice Barrett was back eventually. I remember hearing back then that it would have been revealed that she was Frankie somehow, but then they canceled AW :( Mayb this Dixie thing is the same thing only without the cancellation.

• Members

Hey AMCGio83!

Looks like we're on the same wavelength here. Glad I'm not the only one. :P

This reminds me of the glorious twist on DAYS back in '82: Everyone went nuts when they thought the beloved Marlena character was killed off by The Salem Strangler. Fans picketed the studio, NBC news did a news report on the topic, and actress Dedrie Hall had to keep mum. "Marlena" was actually killed on-screen, strangled to death. How could this be happening?! Thankfully, it wasn't happening, and Marlena's twin sister Samantha was the victim.

Could something similar be going on with the Dixie character on AMC? Hmm - poisoned pancakes anyone? C'mon!!! <_<

ChrisL

• Members

Actually Chris, if my soap lore and by that I mean my Soap Opera Encyclopedia serves me correctly, Dedrie Hall came out to the gate to reassure fans. :) could be wrong...that book is WORN out. Anyway, if we're right and this is some AMC hoax I might have a new found respect for my soap.

• Members

Your soap lore is indeed CORRECT, AMCGio83. Deidre DID come out to the gate to reassure fans. BUT while she greeted them, I don't think she actually revealed that Marlena wasn't dead. Instead, she alluded that "things are not what they seem," which is basically the same thing, LOL. Now, getting back to AMC, I'm totally with you... my respect for the show would be at an all-time high if this is all a big fake-out. I just bought the new SOW and read Cady's interview. Granted, it does indeed sound like she's kaput. But things still don't add up to me. I sure hope we're right. ;)

ChrisL

• Members

I'm hoping with all of you that it is a ruse.

Need more reason to believe? I have heard no mention of mourning, funeral arrangements or the like in the spoilers. Let's hope!

The writers would be better off to cancel a couple of days to reshoot to keep Cady then to let her go!

~HotMom

• Members

Howdy HotMom,

I, too, picked up on your observation. Upcoming spoilers indicate business as usual as far as stories go (of course, the continuation of The Satin Slayer mystery). Then again, perhaps the same day is taking precedence for a week or so, meaning that the funeral wouldn't be taking place yet. But I dig your optimism! Let's continue to hope - at least until we're proven wrong!

ChrisL

Archived