Y&R: What's with his successors re-writing his stories

• Members

ETA: By "his" I meant William J. Bell, I just forgot to put his name in the title. DOH.

Kay Alden

• Making Ashley a sperm pig
-Thus completely ruining the character beyond repair.

Jack Smith

• Makes Jill and Katherine mother and daughter
-Okay, so I've heard that this idea was tossed around some times, earlier on in the Kay/Jill feud. This was a stupid mistake and dumb way to end 30 years of rivalry. Especially considering the major MISS in the aftermath.
  • Makes Malcolm Lily's father
-Bill Bell has said that he regretted writing the Malcolm/Dru stuff but always intended that Neil be the father. What was the point of changing that? Just to cater to Shemar Moore.

Lynn Marie Latham

• Resurrects Phillip
-It was a mistake to kill him off, but will be another mistake to resurrect him. The worst thing of all is that LML is trying to make Amber into Nina 2.0. It's not working.
  • Brad plot driven past
-Yes, Brad had to hide that he was Jewish because he's the only freaking Jew out of over 6 billion people in the world. Not to mention she could have done ANYTHING. Seriously, it was RIGHT THERE. But what does she do, give us a history lesson on art. Not to mention it totally wipes out Brad/Lisa.

Out of all of them I think that Kay Alden atleast respected William J. Bell history the most. Although she had her problems, she never really did anything that couldn't be fixed. IA that she had to leave though as HW back in 2002, but I guess she wasn't so bad in comparison to what we would later get.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I almost barfed in another thread where LML gushes about Bill Bell's legacy, blah, blah, blah. Yet, she has repeatedly trashed and disrespected it.

I agree about Kay Alden. The only gripe I ever had with her was, at times, I felt she made the female characters desperate and weak, but she wrote some classic stories and stayed true to Y&R and Bill Bell's legacy. Bill Bell knew what he was doing when he handed the reins over to her.

• Members

How can you not mention the greatest crime of all, the rape of Sheila Carter and mistreatment of the Great Kimberlin?

But, we've had this argument before. All i can possibly say is... this is Kimberlin's revenge. Karma is a [!@#$%^&*]. :P:P I'd be very excited to see this show get cancelled. Bring it on. :P:P:P:P

• Members

I don't think the writers realize they're ruining it. They think they're enhancing it. They think they're making it better.

Y&R is the number one show on daytime, and has been for nearly two decades... they want to leave their fingerprint on it. They want to be known as the writer that forever changed the show's landscape. They want to be known and something. And if that means ruining the show to do so, they'll do it. Honestly though, in the end, I don't think they realize they're causing the show to lose its identity.

• Members

I also have to comment on the Michelle Stafford/Pheila storyline.

It's really boring me now. It's at a standstill, with the same dialogue every single day. Do something, get this moving. Michelle is doing a great job, but this story is very "ugh" now. And Sheila/Lauren is SO played. How many times can they have Sheila return to the same place over and over and over again? There's no character growth, and it's a shame.

In addition, Michelle Stafford recently had an interview in which she referred to this story in past tense... it "was" fun, it "was" insane... which might lead one to think that the show has already finished taping this story. On one hand, it's good to know that it seems as if there will be some (rapid) story movement in the coming weeks (don't you love it... stall, stall, stall, then rapid release). But on the other hand, they've completely raped Sheila and made it impossible for Kimberlin Brown to ever return and for fans to take the character seriously... and for WHAT? A month of story? Not worth it!

And what is the point to this, anyway? It appears that Pheila will never get out of her cell and never get to make Lauren's life hell, nor will she be able to take over Phyllis's life as planned... so what has been the POINT? Just one last rape of the character for kicks and then a sudden goodbye? Whatever. It's stupid.

• Members

May b it will be told meore later. This is it seems the pattern has bee. I am behind Y&R in like 3 weeks behind. I am just now getting to the news day party. I just kant belive. Pual? What th hell is he doing? I want Jack to be brought down NOW> That is the only thing that is keeping me watch and once that is done Lord only knows

• Members

I'm there with you Dru ROcks. I wouuld Change the PHILLY story ASAP. That would be the first line of buisness. I would rehire back Ashely and Heather TOm while I'm at out. I would make JI MIN be Keemo or if not find a way for JI MIN to stick around. Ima have to ut it together on paper and then bring back to you OK?

• Members

There is only ONE way Y&R can redeem itself in my eyes, and make me forgive the show for all of its other weaknesses.

Have Pheila be revealed as a Sheila IMPOSTER planted by Sheila herself, and maybe Diane Jenkins too, to [!@#$%^&*] with Paul, Phyllis, Michael and Lauren. Make the imposter Isabella.

I want Kimberlin back, goddamit. And maybe to see Sheila get a new cohort like Diane... that would be good.

If i had my way, DruRocks would never get her pampered ass in the headwriter's chair, because that chair is MINE, BABY.

Archived