NBC Execs. Kevin Reilly and Jeff Zucker discuss PSNS & DAYS

• Members

Part of this article talks about Today and part about PSNS and DAYS. I have bolded those portions of the article.

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=muse

NBC Universal Says `Today' Will Expand to Four Hours (Update2)

By Michael Janofsky

Jan. 17 (Bloomberg) -- NBC plans to add a fourth hour to ``Today,'' the top-rated U.S. morning show, in September to bolster the U.S. television network's mid-morning ratings.

The network will cancel the soap opera ``Passions'' to make room for the additional hour of ``Today,'' NBC News President Steve Capus said today during a presentation at Television Critics Association meetings in Pasadena, California.

The extension of the show, which currently runs on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., may help NBC retain female viewers who tune in to earlier segments of the show, said Karen McCallum, a television advertising buyer for Esparza Advertising in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Advertisers like to target homemakers because they make many day-to-day spending choices.

A fourth hour ``makes a lot of sense,'' McCallum said. ``They reach a consistent audience with discretionary income that influences purchasing decisions.''

Kevin Reilly, president of NBC Entertainment, said ``Passions,'' one of NBC's two daytime soap operas, would run through June and possibly August if its producers agreed. ``Days of Our Lives,'' the other, which has aired for more than 40 years, would run through the end of its current contract in 2009, he said.

``The daytime part is extremely tough,'' he said, referring to the network's ability to make a profit. ``The margins are just brutal. Economics will mandate what we do.''

NBC expanded ``Today'' to three hours from two in 2000. The network expects most affiliates eventually to add the fourth hour, spokeswoman Allison Gollust said. The show attracts an average of 5.8 million viewers a day.

``After we added the third hour, it aired in about 65 percent of the country,'' Gollust said. ``Now it airs in almost all the country, about 97 percent.''

Ratings Winner

NBC, controlled by General Electric Co., is required by contract to provide four hours of daytime programming to its affiliates, she said. GE shares fell 13 cents to $37.98 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

Fewer women are watching soap operas, said Jeff Zucker, chief executive officer of NBC Universal Television Group.

``It's just the economics of soaps airing on network,'' Zucker said, referring to ratings declines. ``More women are working. There are fewer viewers and there are more options.''

``Today'' generated more than $600 million in advertising sales last year and produces about $250 million in profit annually, the Wall Street Journal reported today.

Capus said primary roles in the fourth hour will be played by Ann Curry, who reads news in the first two hours of ``Today,'' weatherman Al Roker and Natalie Morales. Meredith Vieira and Matt Lauer host the first two hours of the program.

``It's a ratings winner,'' said Brad Adgate, director of research at the ad firm Horizon Media in New York City. ``More and more people are watching the show and of course it can serve as a platform for promoting prime-time schedules.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael Janofsky in Los Angeles at [email protected]

Last Updated: January 17, 2007 16:28 EST

• Members

Kenny, you bastard! lol...

Come on guys don't take this so hard, it's just without more women watching the ratings are staying low. Plus in NBC's case they don't own the show so if DAYS manages to make profits it's not all NBC's profits - that's why they've always been cancel-happy. I can understand why you're all upset though, the soap providers (networks, nielsens) don't seem to really value you - it's like you're woman over 49 (or 17 these days, lol).

• Members
Lol, you know you wanna turn me Kenny. You wanna get credit for making me switch teams. But it ain't gonna happen baby!!

Damn right. You know I'm going to be the one to make you switch teams baby! :lol:

You guys are a mess! You all are too much! :lol:;)

• Members

God I hate them both.

UGH-GOD DAMN ASSHOLES :angry:

Seriously, I hope Today tanks now. I also hope if Days finds a new home that a miracle happens and their ratings grow big time and make NBC look like a bunch of [[email protected]#$%^&*] faced fools.

I have never been so mad in my life. Since when is it all about women? What about men? What about the teens NBC desired so much? They are just looking for anyway to justify this.

They did mention economics mandating what they do so if Days does well they still may be able to stay. They are facing an uphill battle and that is one hell of a longshot.

Archived