ALL: Can you let go?

• Members

We've been blessed to have our soaps on for decades. Not many shows can say that. Not to mention all the wonderful stories, characters, and performers. As a whole daytime has left a huge mark on the entertainment industry, and realistically nothing lasts forever. Sooner or later the soaps are going to be nonexistent, but we will always have our memories. I don't see it as much as a bad thing. They have all had a long and successful run. I guess what I'm rambling about is that I think I can ultimately accept when it's time for one of my soaps to go. Of course I'll be devastated, but it's inevitable. In the end I'd rather Y&R, ATWT, and GH to leave on their own merits, but if they do get cancel one day, they sure have one impressive history to be proud of. Plus the *glory days* are far behind us, and honestly, I don't think there ever coming back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back when I was a suicidal teen, the only reason I didn't kill myself was because I knew that "Days" didn't air in heaven or hell.

Is it strange of me to think that the saddest part of death would be no more soaps?

To answer your question... no. I can't let go.

• Members

Thanks for making me laugh, Kenny. I know your comment is serious, but this Passions cancellation news has made me very sad. I used to watch so many soaps (Australian, New Kiwi), and eventually I stopped watching most of them except for Passions.

It's hard letting go, but it's life.

• Members

That's a hard question for me, because in a lot of respects, I have let go. I stopped watching AMC on Jan. 30th of 2006 and minus one day when I cheated, I haven't watched again. Nor do I plan too. For months, I acutally hurt, I missed it so much. :( I missed coming home from school or work and turning it on. I missed seeing Erica Kane and her big brown eyes batting at the lastest man of the week. I just missed having it as a part of my life. That's gone now, though. And mostly, I'm just bitter, and there's a part of my heart that is missing without.

But to think that AMC could be gone...it's almost unfathomable. AMC was on in the delivery room when I was being born. LOL, I took my first breath during an Erica Kane scene. So imy mom has always said that AMC is in my blood. I may not be holding onto it anymore, but knowing that it's not there anymore...I guess I'd be forced to let go completely.

So yes, I guess I can and for all intents and purposes I have. But I don't, and never wanted too.

• Members

I don't think I'm going to be able to let go. I'm just glad I've found alternatives to the US soaps since I love this format, and the US soaps are now falling victim to their years of mistakes.

But the one thing the US soaps have, or used to have, was that sense of it being your family. You grow with many of the characters over decades, the European soaps - not so much. They just launch new families on their shows every 3-4years or so. Growing up as a child it was always the Abbotts, the Newmans, and the Forresters. And after getting into Days in my teens, it'll be weird if suddenly the Bradys and Hortons are not there. Just like its getting weird with Y&R having only one Abbott.

• Members

it's sad the networks cant have a little faith in the viewer though. I thought for sure last year I was done with Days of Our Lives for good. Even with JERk finally was fired it was still hard for me to sit through the improved Milstein episodes because I was just physically repulsed by it based on memories from how bad it had got. If I can come back after that ... anyone can, if the show steps up its game and fixes whats wrong.

• Members

Soaps are SUCH a huge part of who I am and have been since Marlena was possessed on DAYS. I remember picking up a Digest with Deidre Hall in MarDevil form, buying it, reading the article and going, "Wow, there are people who actually WRITE THIS STUFF?!" This may sound odd now, considering I bash the man to high hell, but up until PASSIONS, Jimmy Reilly was my hero. I staunchly refused to watch any of the ABC/CBS shows because they were too "girly and romantic." In fact, the first ABC soap I watched was THE CITY, because it looked cool. And, of course, GUIDING LIGHT, because of all the wacky, dark shenanigans on that show. Little did I know that now, those elements of soap(romance and passion) would be the ones I look for more than anything on soaps.

Soaps definitely saved me from a life of awkward times during puberty, when the boys played ball and I didn't know just where I fit in.

Soaps will still exist one way or another, but it won't nearly be the same as it was when I first started watching or even in the 70's and 80's(the so-called "Golden Era" of soap).

My hope is that MyNetworkTV will succeed in primetime over the summer or they give the network another shot at telenovelas next fall. I'd rather have a bunch of telenovelas in daytime than no soaps at all.

Sop, to answer your question: no. I can't let go of a genre that has so much potential. I can't let go of a genre that has entertained me to this day.

I will hold onto my DVDs and Videocassettes. I'll trade, I'll buy. But I'll never give up on soap operas.

• Members

I didn't know it would be so hard to let go of Erica, but like I said above, it physically hurt to do so. She and AMC had become such a part of my life. Coming home to watch the show was just as natural as coming home at all. There was no question, it was just something that I had to do. I didn't feel right if I didn't. It wasn't easy to let go, and I haven't completely walked away, I don't think I can do that until AMC is cancelled. But I don't watch anymore, and that in and of it's self was like de-toxing.LOL The people of PV were like a second family to me, and when my own family were driving me crazy, I'd escape to PV and let them make me crazy for awhile.LOL I miss it, but letting go is freeing to in away.

If you all know only one thing about me, it's that Erica Kane was, is and always will be the to me the best character ever created. I "got" her the first day I saw her. And I have everyday since. So that's the part I'm going to have the most trouble with. At least not watching, she's still there, and I know that she lives on, in away. When AMC is over...she's gone. That's unfathomable to me. AMC I can learn to let go, Erica...that's gonna be rough.

AMC and the other soaps I've watched throughout the years all had a place in a my heart, seeing them end, is truly like losing a good friend. :(

• Members

Life goes on. I didnt think Id be watching soaps or ABC for that matter after PC was cancelled. I loved that show so much, but surprisngly I took it better than I expected despite that it never had a real conclusion. I got over it and Im sure people will get over Passions

Archived