AMC spoiler from yahoo news...

• Members

Transgender applies to anyone who biologically is one sex, but identifies as being another sex, or someone who used to be another sex biologically but received surgery and is now another one. It's really complicated b/c a lot of people fall under the category, I guess. Like if you have a "gender crisis", I guess you would fall under the category too.

I have a few friends who are transgendered. One of my best-friends was born a female and is attracted to females, but wants to get a sex change to become a man and would be straight. I have 2 other friends who have already started taking hormone injections and look like men (they used to look really feminine), and identify as male...and they're both straight, since they like women.

My old roommate used to be a girl (when we lived together, she was Nicole), but now she goes by Nic and is kind-of gender-neutral, I suppose. I know a few people who are male-to-female, but they're not really my friends...just acquaintances.

I think the storyline could be really interesting. I just hope that the writers do their research beforehand. I don't watch AMC regularly anymore, so I'm not going to bash the writing or anything...but it's obvious that the issue is extremely complicated. I know a lot of people who are transgendered, and honestly, I don't understand most of it myself. So I can't imagine what someone who has little or no knowledge of the issue is going to think. :blink:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So kissing a lesbian makes him want to cut off his "twinkie" so he can be with a WOMAN?????????????? :blink:

I am confused already.

I'd love to see a story about transgender, but is AMC really the show that can do it justice?

I don't think so to be honest. I smell a publicity gimmick, but that's just my opinion. I hope

they prove me wrong.

• Members

There is NO WAY that they can continue this story post-surgery.

Why? Jeff Carlson can't play the role then. Remember the Phantom Erica story? The whole reason they had her wear that stupid mask was because of the time and money involved in creating that scar on her face each day of taping. So there is no way they are going to make Carlson into a woman each episode. Not to mention, since the actor isn't undergoing surgery, he would make a ridiculously-looking woman.

And they aren't going to suddenly bring on a female to play the role. That too would be ridiculous.

Since the story cannot and will not continue post-surgery, it's a gimmick.

• Members

It seems like an excuse to put two "shocker" elements together no matter whether or not they fit. I think it would've much more courageous for a previously "straight" character to fall for Bianca, or for a younger member of a family, whether it was Petey or Colby or whoever, to discover they were transgender-oriented. This just seems shameless.

• Members

I would've rather had Bianca suddenly have bisexual feelings than this. ITA that it is exploitative of a very serious issue. Additionally, I hope it does not create a perception that a lesbian has "powers" that can make a man change into a woman. I wish there was a better set-up. For example, if they want to bring a TG character on a have the Zarf be a friend of Bianca and she helps her through the process -- I think that would be cool -- and more in-line with the nature of Bianca. Just give the gal a true girlfriend and get over it. People loved Lena and Maggie. (I mean, this is the same show that *raped* Bianca so she could have a child. There were so many other ways to do it in a responsible manner.) I'm disappointed in AMC. They've gone from social trendsetter to trash. I pray I'm wrong.

• Members

No. Actually, it was because Erica is so vein that she couldn’t go in public or look in the mirror with a cut up face. As much as a thought that story was silly, it actually was in-character for Erica to wear the mask.

And as others have said, Julia (after the tornado) had a scar for along time.

Archived