GH: The ShrewCarly 4.0 UNappreciation thread

Cat

• Members

I *know* I am probably one of the very few but -- amid all the high praise, the "OMG, it's like Sarah Joy Brown never left!", all the SOW/SID love -- I just cannot get into Laura Wright's portrayal.

I say this as somebody who loved SB's Carly, loved TB's Carly, it-took-time-but-eventually-grew-to-admire JB's performance.

I don't know what it is, but I don't *feel* Carly any more. I see 4.0 on my screen and it's all posturing: the ranting, the sub-ghetto "Nuh-UH!" head rolls, the lower lip jutting out in sneering disdain, the complete failure to wring any real tears out in "emotional" scenes.

Sure, SB, TB and JB's Carly would get up in people's faces -- but they also communicated the underlying vulnerability and uncertainty inherent in the character. Carly was all bravado, and that baravado was relatable.

Here, I feel like I'm watching ShrewBarbie, entitled, bullying, and inserted into almost every SL on the show.

:(

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMEN!!! Laura Wright [!@#$%^&*] sucks! She adds no vulnerability to Carly and plays the role as if she's entitled to something special. God, I hope the Emmy's bypass Laura again next year, it will be a sad day if she got nominated over Nancy Lee Grahn. Carly during her previous incarnations via the other actresses was bold and tough, but you understood the reasoning via the other actresses, Laura doesn't do that for me.

• Members

Just watching yesterday's episode, in between the glory of Genie Francis, Tony Geary and Jane Eliott's performances, "Laura Wright character" (as Dru puts it) just really sticks out. It is almost unbelieveable when you consider that this is an actress who has acted as lead on three soaps now over the past 15 years.

I can't help but compare it to, say, Sarah Brown or Tamara -- both of whom had NO Daytime experience. That scene in 2000 after Jason discovers that Sonny & Carly have slept together, Carly tells Sonny to not tell anybody what happened. She then reflects on how much they hate each other and then, in a totally improptu move, playfully tweaks his cheek. It was so ad-libbed and yet so right. I think I actually laughed out loud when I saw that.

Now I see LW using the Copyrighted © Carly mannerisms and everything just looks so acted, so stagey. Even the scenes when ShrewBarbie is meant to be keeping it real, declaring her love to Jax, etc., it just screams "Look at ME! This is SO Carly! I'm kicking so much ASS!"

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ugh, she's such an a*shole.

Count me in with this society, i'd like a full uniform and badge so i can tell the world loud and proud how much i despise the de-volution of a once compelling outsider to mainstream-heroine-joke. Its hilarious how all 4 Carlys have been completely different characters to each other. Kind of says it all really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

ITA with all of you. I CANNOT stand Laura Wright's portrayal of Carly. She is so overrated. She went to the diva school of acting. She is nothing like the 3 other Carly's. Say what you will, but I believe JB rocked at the end and the motherfuckers at GH made a huge mistake getting rid of her (that is just one of the many mistakes they have made in the past 2 years). Carly #4 is a caricture just like someone else said. She is NOT Carly.

AND I HATE THE IDEA OF CARSON GETTING BACK TOGETHER!!! But maybe they deserve each other ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Friday. 3pm. <click> switched on the TV.

There was Laura Wright's Character Iforgetthename with Jason, and Laura Wright's Character Iforgetthename was all snarly and "Well, if Sonny thinks he can play games with me, he's got another thing coming! Jason! Are you even listening to me?!" and--

<click> TV off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

God there is no other character on this show I hate more than Carly!

I liked SB, TB because even though I they made me hate Carly that was there job of that character and i liked the actresses but LW's Carly makes me what to throw something at the TV every time.. ALL she does it moans, groans, whines, and shrieks! Can't stand it, she is literally muted on my screen and reducing jax into a loser... like really, the day they kill of this character i would cry tears buckets of joy. ;)

Archived