cassadine1991

Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

896 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, juniorz1 said:

Ok, THIS I take issue with.  Y&R was NEVER an umbrella story kind of show.  Never, never, never.   And yes, they DID have stories.  But they moved VERY slowly, which helped them to be able to balance 5 or 6 stories.  There were days where not much happened in a story.  And they certainly were never a show where Monday wrapped up the prior week's story while kicking off that week's story, Tuesday-Thursday build to Friday tag- Y&R NEVER ran that way.

ONE story would climax, while story B was building, story C was in the middle, story D hadn't hit its first arch, story E was starting, and seeds were being planted for story F.  That was the classic Y&R structure.

BUT rarely was there an umbrella story, in the truest sense of the word.  The one that I would say came closest was Victor's "Death" in 1993, only because his return impacted so many characters and stories (the climax in the Collonade Room is one of my fave sequences EVER on a soap).  Even that wasn't a true umbrella story- those were always more of an ABC and P&G style, never the Bell soaps or even Corday.

THIS.

7 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

I don't think CK is a bad actress. However, I think Lily is a nothing of a character whose only purpose is to play sex kitten. Don't like it. 

She's a bad actress too

2 minutes ago, frequentsoapfan said:

She's a bad actress too

Yes she is. That preview of her for this week is just horrendous/bad.

CAUGHT UP!!!

It's been a while since there has been a Victor/Jack confrontation so I didn't mind it at all and as a Friday cliffhanger.

Just when Hilary was going to leave well enough alone, Cane had to get in her face.

Guess who's back tomorrow? hehe.

I thought last week ending strong. And today's episode also started strong with a nice mix of stories...most of which (Dina-which btw I agree story is stalling, B&S, and Nikki) are the ones I want to see so good. First Monday that felt like it is continuing on from last week versus jarring...which the last two Mondays have been.

The Victor/Jack scenes were disappointing. :-(

I really enjoy Hillary, she's much like a young Jill.

Killing off Diane will always be a mistake, and even worst was casting her with Maura West. Alex Donnelly will always be Diane to me. I liked Susan Walters too, but she could never match the intensity.

I like that Lily is willing to forgive Cane, because as much as I can't stand them together, they are pretty solid and Lily did cheat on Cane.

They've done wonders with Sharon. I hope they keep it up. I loved her showing Nick the door for being evasive. 

Yeah, Jack/Victor did pepper out at the end, but I started well.

Oh...how I miss Alex Donnelly. She...and her feud/catfights with Nikki...are what stood out for me as a kid. Never...other than Viki/Dorian have I've seen such hatred between two women.

Loved that moment with Sharon as well.

On 2017-06-22 at 9:57 AM, Vizion said:

I've been watching Y&R since about 1988 so that answers that question and there were plenty of stories. And no I don't watch Game of Thrones but what the hell does Thrones have to do with Y&R?  

So Jack marrying Nikki to get back at Victor on the same day that Victor was intending to propose to Nikki wasn't a story? And then Victor making a deal with Jack that he'd give the Abbotts full control of Jabot if he stayed away from Nikki and the kids forever wasn't a story? Or on the day that Nikki is about to tell Victor that she will leave Jack for him she finds out she's pregnant - that's not a story?  And then Nikki falling off her horse, having a miscarriage and getting addicted to alcohol and pain meds wasn't a story? WHAT?  Let's go to the Winters family - there were no stories there? Is that the claim lol? 

If you disagree or just love Sally that's fine, but lets not pretend that there were never really stories during the Bill Bell era. There are full episode clips from that era in the Classic Y&R thread for your viewing pleasure that prove otherwise. 

Sure. There's a bunch of tv shows I have enjoyed - VEEP, The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Carmichael Show, Fargo....what do any of those shows have to do with my dislike of current Y&R?

There is entirely too much singing. Even the snippets of music is too much frankly. 

I wasn't talking about the actress playing Tessa, I was talking about the character. But if you think it's riveting for Nikki to spend her once a week scenes counseling some boring moping street kid and playing Casio keyboard in a dirty bar - by all means lol. 

I care how small the B&S office is. The entire premise of B&S being in the basement of Jabot was stupid, and yes the fact that it's a terribly cramped set just adds to the reason why Brash & Sassy doesn't work. 

I'm getting my opinion on people phoning in their performances from actually watching the show. It'll be fun watching actors (besides maybe Greg and MCE) struggle to find anything worthwhile to submit for Emmy consideration at the end of this year. They shouldn't even waste their time frankly. Also let's not act like a ton of people in the cast haven't been bitching on Twitter and Instagram and very few have been overly enthusiastic about anything on the show in the last 6 months. 

No comment on the Y&R ratings/demos and Sally's difficulties with it or her needing a co-HW? I figured. Look, I never had much faith in Sally anywhere. She's pretty much failed every place she was given a solo HW position (JFP even fired her from Hollywood Heights) but I was hopeful that she'd write an interesting show and perhaps turn things away from the ugly ugly downslide that started for Y&R ratings and demo-wise in September and October. She hasn't actually managed to do one positive thing in terms of viewers or demos and that's because again it's a boring show where nothing happens.

There are so many people saying this is classic Y&R and this is just like the old days of Y&R (I frankly think that is an insult to Bill Bell but if we're going with that)....am I to understand that people think it's a good thing for a show, in 2017, to be written the same way it was written in 1989? 

Games of Thrones would go into long stretches without showing characters, which seems to be something you have a problem with.

You're right, Y&R had stories, I just framed it incorrectly. I meant with Y&R it always felt more about conversations, rivalries, and dialogue. Basically, it was more character driven. I'm indifferent on Sally. Like you, I can simply nitpick about everything on Y&R and television, but it's not worth it to me. If Y&R gets boring again to me, I will simply tune out.

Basically with some people you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just now, Taoboi said:

Yeah, Jack/Victor did pepper out at the end, but I started well.

Oh...how I miss Alex Donnelly. She...and her feud/catfights with Nikki...are what stood out for me as a kid. Never...other than Viki/Dorian have I've seen such hatred between two women.

Loved that moment with Sharon as well.

Yeah, it just goes to show that Jack/Victor work better apart these days supporting other stories.

I wonder what Alex is up to these days? And yes, her battles with Nikki were always fun. The music, lighting and everything in there scenes were always on point

11 minutes ago, StepBack said:

Games of Thrones would go into long stretches without showing characters, which seems to be something you have a problem with.

You're right, Y&R had stories, I just framed it incorrectly. I meant with Y&R it always felt more about conversations, rivalries, and dialogue. Basically, it was more character driven. I'm indifferent on Sally. Like you, I can simply nitpick about everything on Y&R and television, but it's not worth it to me. If Y&R gets boring again to me, I will simply tune out.

Basically with some people you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Yeah, it just goes to show that Jack/Victor work better apart these days supporting other stories.

I wonder what Alex is up to these days? And yes, her battles with Nikki were always fun. The music, lighting and everything in there scenes were always on point

So, so true.

What was up with the scene where Chelsea asked Victor for advice on her fashion design company?

The entire discussion lasted about 20 seconds, she thanked him for the advice, and that was it. Does a fashion designer REALLY need to be told that if she sells cheap knockoffs it will hurt her brand??? She needed VICTOR for that???

33 minutes ago, ranger1rg said:

What was up with the scene where Chelsea asked Victor for advice on her fashion design company?

The entire discussion lasted about 20 seconds, she thanked him for the advice, and that was it. Does a fashion designer REALLY need to be told that if she sells cheap knockoffs it will hurt her brand??? She needed VICTOR for that???

It was pretty silly and unneeded. I wonder where they are going with that though, since ethical clothing is a pressing issue. I hope it doesn't end up like the Fenmore story, bringing a late but relevant story to the forefront only to have it dwindle away. It's funny because Sears Canada just did creditor protection.

Edited by StepBack