Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

JER's DAYS Discussion

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Nate4

Nate4

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

I didn't really watch then, but I have watched a lot of clips on YT. It was all very good. 

What was your favorite JER storyline and least favorite?

Something about JER interests me...

JER Head Writer:

April 29, 1993 - January 5, 1998

August 18, 2003 - August 9, 2006

#2 Winchester91

Winchester91

Jason Quartermaine.

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Whatever story that had Charity Rahmer involved with moving in with Phillip, and that whole Jan/Shawn mess.

Edited by Winchester91, 09 June 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#3 theherowithin

theherowithin

Recurring

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I liked his first run on DOOL except Mardevil. Mardevil was okay but I knew longtime DOOL fans were going to leave. I did really enjoy Aremid and watching Bo & Hope (Reckell & Alfonso) fall in love again. That doesn't happen often. I loathed his entire second term on DOOL. I really don't know what NBC was thinking when they thought he could write for both DOOL and Passions at the same time.

#4 cassadine1991

cassadine1991

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I kind of wonder how it would've been like if JER wrote GH, Douglas Marland wrote OLTL, Claire Labine wrote AMC

#5 Winchester91

Winchester91

Jason Quartermaine.

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

GH would be the same it is now, maybe with Sabrina being a hermaphrodite romancing Sam and Patrick at the same time. OLTL would be slow moving and character-driven. AMC would be boring as hell, and would make Marlene McPherson's work look like Iron Man 3. Labine's work in OLTL sucked ass. 

#6 cassadine1991

cassadine1991

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

GH would be the same it is now, maybe with Sabrina being a hermaphrodite romancing Sam and Patrick at the same time. OLTL would be slow moving and character-driven. AMC would be boring as hell, and would make Marlene McPherson's work look like Iron Man 3. Labine's work in OLTL sucked ass. 

I don't mean JER's Passions, I'm more along the lines of his stints on Days... well I'm more in tune to Labine's GH and Ryan's Hope... but yeah Marland at OLTL, would've been cool

#7 Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Recurring

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I started watching during the first JER era, specifically Sami's bulimia and the buildup to Carly buried alive. Something must have been decent to hook me.

My favorite storyline was Maison Blanche. I of course didn't know the John Black retcon at the time, which sours it a bit, but it was pretty good. The hurricane where all hell broke loose were some of my favorite scenes. John emerges from the house in shackles and is spotted by Kristen and Tony John chases Stefano to the river, sees Hope in the boat, fishes her out of the water when it capsizes and carries her to the first place he sees. That just happens to be the hotel with Bo and Billie and them about to consummate their relationship. John dumps the body on the bed, runs back to a blazing Maison Blanche and Tony goes back in and is blinded. And it all worked.

JER unfortunately had no idea how to manage the aftermath and the hospital stuff was weak, but getting there was quite fun.

I hated MarDevil at the time, but have found some appreciation of its sappy insanity.

Parts of Aremid were quite good and parts awful. Paris was bad.

#8 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

I admit as an AMC fan at time--I was in middle and high school, I resented DAYS at the time.  When I tuned in, I found it relentlessly slow moving and with the same scenes repeated over and over.  Two things I think JER got only worse at. 

#9 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Labine was an extremely poor pairing with JFP but her OLTL was beyond dull, as you say.  I remember the first week was a strong change--though all I remember was Carlotta having a fantasy about Hank in leather--and the we got a ton of... nothing.  (Oh and Todd talking to his parrot sidekick...)

#10 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I actually loved all of JER's first run on Days, but I see now it did some damage as it turned into plot driven and many characters suffered.

I think 1993 - 1994 was his best year. The affair with John and Marlena, Maison Blanche, Carly being buried alive, Sami's bulimia, the return of the DiMera's. I didn't like the way Roman was written, but that happened long before JER was head writer, I thought he did a good job of showing why John and Marlena ended up having an affair.

#11 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I also have to say Mardevil worked for how it affected other storylines such as Tony/Kristen and Sami/Carrie/Austin/Lucas, although showing the devil was such a bad move and only brought the story down to a cheap B movie level. I did think it was a cop out to make Kristen bad and Marlena was so out of character during that time. Marlena should have gone to John in private and told him the truth, then kept up the ruse for the sake of the baby. 

I wish JER had mixed more of the psychological elements into the show, especially where Kristen was concerned. I do like that she has become a more three dimensional character under this current regime. 

One thing I also wished is that Carrie and Austin were played out differently. I disliked the way Carrie fought so hard to get Austin back in her life then cheated on him with Mike.

#12 darraholic

darraholic

Comin to snatch your babies.

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

I loved JER first run.

Maison Blanche, Buried Alive, MarDevil, Aremid & Kristen/John/Marlena were my favorite storylines.

His second run was horrible.  I can't think of one thing that was good.  I guess I liked parts of Zach's death, but then it just became a Hope/Bo/Billie triangle again.

#13 titan1978

titan1978

Recurring

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

For me he peaked with Maison Blanche. I loved the reveal of Hope and the storylines before it. Carly buried alive and early Sami and Marlena being tormented by her passion for John.
The puzzle box and letter to Bo proving Gina was Hope was one of Days all time great endings to a mystery storyline. And I felt Bo and Hope were totally in character, and Billie wasn't being played as villainous. Yet.
It's hard to say what JER on GH as head writer wold have been like because he kind of took that gothic energy he was creating on Days and went for it. His storylines might not have sent him in those directions on GH. I do know he was the right writer at the right time when he hit Days, and I believe Labine was the right fit for GH at that time.

#14 soapfave06

soapfave06

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

I would've loved to have seen his 90s-style writing at OLTL personally. They hit a long snag in the late 90s and I think some of that gothic energy and Maison Blanche-like stories would have been perfect. I can't really see JER anywhere else writing. And I just don't know what happened after Passions and his second stint at DAYS. It was just horrible.

#15 cassadine1991

cassadine1991

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

I would've loved to have seen his 90s-style writing at OLTL personally. They hit a long snag in the late 90s and I think some of that gothic energy and Maison Blanche-like stories would have been perfect. I can't really see JER anywhere else writing. And I just don't know what happened after Passions and his second stint at DAYS. It was just horrible.

James E. Reilly at OLTL??? Interesting..

#16 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,692 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

I loved Bo & Billie, Peter & Jen, Kristen/John/Mar, bad girl Sami going after Austin. 

The Billie/Jen/Kristen friendship was the best. 

#17 daysgoby

daysgoby

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I was watching Days for several years before the JER storylines began but what I remember vividly about his first run was how he set up some storylines years in advance (When Stefano was in hospital in 1993 he already mentioned being responsible for Kristen and Peter's mothers death but this didn't come up again until Aremid/1996).

His first run worked because he essentially had a 5 year plan. By the time his run came to an end he pretty much brought most of the storylines he created to a relative conclusion (John/Marlena were together; Sami was exposed, Carrie/Austin together) as they sequed into the next writer (Sally Sussman Morina - I think!). I think if he had stayed on at Days we would have been treated to an endless recycling of his greatest hits storyline-wise (which was pretty much what he did in his second stint).

Best storylines: the introduction and evolution of the Sami character; Sami shooting her rapist in the groin; Marlena/John in the boardroom at Titan and her pregnancy, Carly Buried Alive, MarDevil, Kristens schemes and her many other characters), some of the Sami/Austin/Carrie/Lucas saga - the best being that Lucas was Will's father; Tony shooting himself and framing John.

Although the constant flashbacks, repetition of scenes and slow moving plots were noticeable there was just something about how it was written that made it addictive that you just had to keep watching every episode. The payoffs were huge when the reveals happened so it made the slowness worth it.

However I watched this as a teen and when I see some clips now I realise how juvenile some of the dialogue was and I can understand why many long time viewers were saying it had become a cartoon. Sadly most of the men were portrayed as dumb (Austin and John) and the women as victims (Marlena).

He gave Days the much needed ratings boost but his style of storyline writing just opened the door for a further 11 years of idiotic plots. Although not under his regime the absolute worst have been John/Hope sub-sex, the far too long Princess Gina storyline, anything Tom Langan ever wrote, the incorrect aging of the younger teen set in 1999; Garden of Eden, Carrie/Austin/Sami redux more than once - that storyline just needs a complete rest never to rear its ugly head again! Cassie/Rex landing in a UFO - ughhh!

Edited by daysgoby, 10 June 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#18 Soaplovers

Soaplovers

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

JER wouldn't have worked on OLTL.

The first two years of his stint at DAYS was awesome, but then from 1995-through 1998.. the show devolved into a  campy mess.  Watching it, I wouldn't have been surprised if it came out that 6 year olds wrote the show.

Imho, the show has never completely recovered from that era.  It's funny, but the show appears more outdated in the 1990s then it did in the 1980s when Sheri Anderson/Leah Laiman/Thom Racina wrote the show.

#19 Susan Hunter

Susan Hunter

Recurring

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I count Jim Reilly as one of the last 'classic' soap opera writers.  Slow pace, playing every beat, flashbacks, good versus evil, against all odds romance, are all classic soap tropes.  He just added the wild and wacky elements to get people talking and to tune in.  It's a shame that he's remembered more for the stunts, than his respect for the soap opera basics. And quite frankly, there weren't that many stunts and the only ones that hadn't been done on daytime before was the possession (which was a glossed up DID story).

Anyway, my favorite Reilly story of all time is the John and Marlena affair.  Begining with Marlena and Roman's epic fight before Stella trapped her in that hole and ending with the reveal that Belle was John's. 

In no particular order I also loved...

Kate's flirtation with Jack during that entire Spectator storyline. 

I loved Jack and Billie's relationship and the entire Kate's manuscript storyline, leading to Countess Wilhemina.

Vivian going insane, Buried Alive and the aftermath, and Carly eventually choosing Laurence over Bo.

Peter and Jennifer.

The muder of Curtis Reed and Billie's trail.

Maison Blanche and the reveal of  Hope/Gina

Vivian's schemes to get Victor

Sami versus Carrie over Austin

Queen of the Night

When Kristen teamed up with Vivian and Ivan

Anything with Celeste

#20 Sindacco

Sindacco

Contract

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

My favorite JER story was Aremid. I was not a big fan of MarDevil, I think that time period during the possession was JER's weakest during his first run. But 1993-1994 and late 1995-1997 were great.

Austin/Carrie/Lucas/Sami was very repetitive. Austin walks in on Lucas hugging Carrie, so he thinks she's moved on and he decides to do the same with Sami. Always silly misunderstandings.

Jack/Jennifer/Peter was also very repetitive. It was basically Jack trying to prove Peter was up to no good and Peter always covering it up at last minute, over and over. But I still liked it. Unfortunately, when Jennifer finally did learn the truth about Peter, she was played by Stephanie Cameron, so the the impact was lost. The same happened a year later when Jason Brooks returned, Mark Valley had left so the finale to the Jack/Jennifer/Peter story was with Stephanie Cameron and Steve Wilder as Jack and Jennifer.

I liked Bo/Billie and "Gina" finding out she was Hope. And unlike many others I also liked Hope/Bo/Billie round 2, with Krista Allen in the role, and with Franco as the troublemaker.

Vivian's schemes to get Victor were also fun.

But yeah, Aremid was the best. From Peter and Jennifer's wedding, to Tony killing himself and framing John, Lexie finding out who her parents were and Jude holding Hope captive in the cabin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users