HAPPY 57th BDAY AS THE WORLD TURNS

• Members

Yes, I know that this could go in the cancelled soap section; however, I feel that it is suitable in the current soap section for today. (Mods, you can chose to close this after today). I know that this time of the year is a bit sensitive for us P&G fans, and I just wanted to make a thread for us to celebrate (and mourn) the loss of a great show, which I personally felt has much more time.

I can still remember it like yesterday the final scene of the series, a scene that is debated between many--some loathe it, I personally think that it was the BEST closing scene of a soap finale I've seen. Despite my hatred for Passanatate and Goutman for demolishing this great show, they did stay true to the show by having Bob utter the final words since the fabulous Nancy Hughes had passed on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTGh4XDYO4

Let's share some clips and memories with each other, and talk about the good times. Let's celebrate a show that impacted many and never really got the recognition it deserved. Let's rejoice together. happy.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lisa vs. John Dixon

Lisa vs. Lucinda (Lisa: 'Oh, how I despise her!)

Bob Hughes vs. John

Barbara vs Margo

Steve vs. Craig

Craig vs. Tonio

I'm not going to go into the bad (over which there were many moments in the last decade) but when this show was good, this show was great!

Barbara being led into the bullring while wearing red. The look on Barbara's face as she saw the bull charging in her direction. I think I was about 6 or 7 but I will forever remember that look on her face.

Steve teaching Betsy how to play the piano-- you literally see them falling in love.

Lyla having that heartbreaking conversation with Craig when she visited him in prison--they were both crying.

That moment when Craig and Sierra finally had that time at Foxwood Lodge when all that angst (real angst, not the contrived kind) and longing exploded into passion.

The friendship between Frannie and Heather Dalton (when they were played by Julianne Moore and Tonya Lee Pinkins).

Jessica's original family. I wish they would've made them characters who at least would come and go, so we could see them occasionally.

Roy Franklin and his family. Sadly ATWT let the ball drop on this character but the relationship between Roy and his father and the tragedy that caused them to be at cross purposes when it came to Roy's job as a Police Officer, was gold and should've been explored further.

Those times that Tom and Margo tried to connect while Barbara continued to get in the way when Barbara tricked them into believing that she and Tom had had an affair. One particular time during a separation between Tom and Margo, when they had this moment of tenderness when Margo, on the doorstep, lovingly caresses Tom's cheek and he hungrily responds, only to have that moment shattered with the sound of Barbara's voice as she calls him from inside the house. And the look on Tom and Margo's faces, knowing silently that the moment has passed and their are back to the reality of a couple on the verge of divorce. That fake infidelity had a ripple effect in the lives of Tom, Margo, Barbara and Hal Munson for years.

Dusty Donnovan in those teenage years!wub.png A refreshingly blunt and 'stand up' character who was not boring until TPTB began to ignore him, once the triangle played itself out. And his relationship with John was utterly realistic in the way both actors chose to play their scenes, with humor, with conflict and with affection. It brought out a different side to John Dixon as well.

So many rich characters on this show-- some explored over decades while others, we didn't have enough time with but were still fascinating.

I could feast off the 1980s episodes alone right now.

The Y&R had their very first episode posted for people to watch on their 40th Anniversary. Wouldn't it have been something if we could've seen ATWT's first episode somewhere online? Boy, I wish!

For most of my life, it was my favorite soap. It had a dramatic intensity and heft that was understated and often unheralded. It wasn't known for having lots of camp or outrageous storylines but in its best years, it had an emotional depth, even in quiet moments that I miss so much in daytime drama.

• Members

Much like the Dallas theme, the lush opening chords of ATWT's classic theme make me smile.

LOL...I searched and searched for a clip of Scott bellowing "NNNnnnnneeeeaaallllll!!" when he found her dead. Not because it was my all-time favorite moment (it was one of the saddest), but because my brothers teased me for months afterward by imitating it. And that makes me smile.

I miss you, ATWT!! Happy Birthday!!

• Members

ATWT and GL were the first soaps I was hooked on and I will always see them as my barometers for soaps. I held them to very high standards, unforgiving standards, in many ways. Do I regret that? No. Because when they were at their best, they were better than anything else on TV.

ATWT was continuity, history, class, respect, friendship, tradition, and also, shockingly bold, progressive, forward, intelligent, mature. ATWT took so many risks on major social issues of the day without beating their chest.

I'll never stop believing in ATWT or what ATWT stood for. I'll never stop believing that ATWT could have outlived us all if someone had given a damn. But that's not important anymore. ATWT will never be forgotten, and it's with Irna now. I hope they're very happy. I also hope, for the sake of this genre, those who want to learn about soaps watch the best of ATWT, or even the just OK era of ATWT, and see how it's done.

• Members

This was P&G for me, but especially ATWT, with the Hughes family. I missed this so much when they began to gut the show in 1995. I missed the feeling of home. I missed that we would see an entire town react to Lucinda getting a hangnail. I'm glad that, as much as ATWT was gone by the end, we still had a little of that in the last year.

Archived