Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Worst start for a couple

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Some soaps like to have couples "meet cute." Others like to have big angst and conflict to prepare viewers for a couple. Some blatantly have other characters say THIS IS YOUR SOULMATE and desperately pretend these characters never had lives or dreams before meeting each other.

Which first meeting/first scene for a couple bothered you most?

For me, it would probably be Stefan shooting Katherine on GH. I thought it was kind of unintentionally hilarious, and the followup - his reading her poetry in the hospital, or whatever, as she began to pine for him - was cloying.

I've seen TV relationships that start with one person stabbing the other in the chest and somehow they still managed to be more romantic than this.

#2 YRBB

YRBB

That's Head Bitch Jill Foster Abbott to you!

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Can I include primetime?

Cos I'm in the process of watching Season 9 of DALLAS (the dream season) and Jack and Jenna looked at each other on episode 4 and then on episode 6 smiled widely at each other and had lunch and then Ray was talking about how everyone knows Jack and Jenna are a possible item. Like, just add water and voila! Couple. Barf.

#3 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Sure, why not. Then I might add "Amanda's Friend" on Knots.

#4 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm surprised that especially you didn't mention any rape victim falling for her attacker

The Adam/Sharon stuff was awful on Y&R. He did the unthinkable to her and I don't see how they could ever be a viable couple yet the show keeps pushing them as such

Edited by Cheap21, 04 December 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#5 dmarex

dmarex

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

If Maria ever actually planned to pair up Sharon/Adam back when he was stealing her baby and passing it off as another woman's, then that is a hell of a bad way to start a couple.

But I presume she didn't think that far ahead. Or maybe this was Hogan's story?

#6 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm surprised that especially you didn't mention any rape victim falling for her attacker

The Adam/Sharon stuff was awful on Y&R. He did the unthinkable to her and I don't see how they could ever be a viable couple yet the show keeps pushing them as such

The only "couple" I remember starting that way was Jessica and Ford, and I decided not to count them at all, since the show hemmed and hawed and finally killed him.

If I'm forgetting someone else, I blocked it out.

(I don't count Johnny and Comedy Connie as a couple either)

Edited by CarlD2, 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#7 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

The only "couple" I remember starting that way was Jessica and Ford, and I decided not to count them at all, since the show hemmed and hawed and finally killed him.

If I'm forgetting someone else, I blocked it out.

(I don't count Johnny and Comedy Connie as a couple either)

well Luke and Laura are the most famous example. The show ended it but TSJTodd' and Marty were definetly headed in that direction.

Edited by Cheap21, 04 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#8 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

The show usually didn't make Marty and Howarth's Todd a couple (even if Howarth had to leave the show to stop this). Since Frodd was supposed to be a new character, I guess you can count that.

Luke and Laura, sure, they'd go on the list.

Edited by CarlD2, 04 December 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#9 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Trifling Theresa and Namby-Pamby Ethan from Passions owns this thread.

What sets them apart from the rest of the horrible couples that I've had to endure is the fact that JER expected me to see that stalker as the rootable heroine of the show, while the passive-aggressive jackass object of her obsession was supposed to be the prize that we were all supposed to swoon over on her behalf.

For some reason, viewers were supposed to find it romantic that this chick was plotting since she was old enough to recite her ABCs to snag this rich dude because of "fate" - never mind the fact that he was in a long-term relationship with a perfectly lovely woman. We were supposed to be overjoyed when he 'finally' returned her feelings, even if it was at the expense of his girlfriend's feelings that he suddenly had zero concern for once that cow-eyed heifer batted her eyes his way.

What defines them as the ultimate worst start for a couple (as well as one of the top-10 worst couples in soapdom) is the fact that this was supposed to be the A-list couple for this soap.

#10 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Trifling Theresa and Namby-Pamby Ethan from Passions owns this thread.

What sets them apart from the rest of the horrible couples that I've had to endure is the fact that JER expected me to see that stalker as the rootable heroine of the show, while the passive-aggressive jackass object of her obsession was supposed to be the prize that we were all supposed to swoon over on her behalf.

For some reason, viewers were supposed to find it romantic that this chick was plotting since she was old enough to recite her ABCs to snag this rich dude because of "fate" - never mind the fact that he was in a long-term relationship with a perfectly lovely woman. We were supposed to be overjoyed when he 'finally' returned her feelings, even if it was at the expense of his girlfriend's feelings that he suddenly had zero concern for once that cow-eyed heifer batted her eyes his way.

What defines them as the ultimate worst start for a couple (as well as one of the top-10 worst couples in soapdom) is the fact that this was supposed to be the A-list couple for this soap.

There's nothing left to add!

If I didn't completely adore you before, I certainly do now Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Jitterbug

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

There's nothing left to add!
If I didn't completely adore you before, I certainly do now Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Anyone who hates those two as much as I did and still do is A-OK in my book. Posted Image

#12 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Theresa is one of my nominees for worst soap character along with the pointless characters LH played on DAYS and AMC which felt like Theresa carbon copies.

#13 Ira

Ira

Recurring

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

I will say that Theresa's obsession has given me my favorite idiotically hilarious soap moment EVER:

#14 partyperson25

partyperson25

"I want my Tracy back..."

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yeah Luke and Laura were pretty much like that

#15 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

I will say that Theresa's obsession has given me my favorite idiotically hilarious soap moment EVER:
https://www.youtube....h?v=NvSaw5AVyd0

WOW. Is that bitch serious?

#16 alexisfan07

alexisfan07

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=NvSaw5AVyd0

I think I had stopped watching at this point (I watched the last year or so) but LMAO, this is pure PASSIONS camp right here.

I won't lie, I loved Theresa. And it's because I knew she was nuts.

#17 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,308 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

River and Adriana on OLTL is up there for me.

On Day 1, IIRC, both characters had their first airdate, and immediately Met Cute in Angel Square. Adriana #1 was Carlotta's heavily-accented, virginal niece or goddaughter or whatever. River was this mope with terrible Flock of Seagulls hair. Immediately she was calling him "Rio" and there was Michael Malone operetta jargon like "the rebel and the schoolgirl" or something. This was at the same time he was doing a hard sell with Joey and Jen, "the priest and the party girl" or whatever. But with River and Adriana it was like they were on meth. Day 1, they went there with the names. And it was wretched.

#18 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Of that era I guess I'd include Jessica angrily kicking a soda machine and then arguing with Antonio. I cringed and never stopped cringing. I'm not sure why they had that fake Jessica show such anger at a soda machine and then be so horribly passive toward everything else.

#19 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

River and Adriana on OLTL is up there for me.

On Day 1, IIRC, both characters had their first airdate, and immediately Met Cute in Angel Square. Adriana #1 was Carlotta's heavily-accented, virginal niece or goddaughter or whatever. River was this mope with terrible Flock of Seagulls hair. Immediately she was calling him "Rio" and there was Michael Malone operetta jargon like "the rebel and the schoolgirl" or something. This was at the same time he was doing a hard sell with Joey and Jen, "the priest and the party girl" or whatever. But with River and Adriana it was like they were on meth. Day 1, they went there with the names. And it was wretched.

Oh lord, yes. And then it turned out they were (adopted) cousins when Dorian wound up being her mother. GH had Maxie and Georgie going after their adopted cousin Lucas (before he turned out to be gay and disappeared, of course) the year before that. Seriously, guys: BOUNDARIES. USE THEM.

Edited by MissLlanviewPA, 05 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#20 Vee

Vee

A Chinchilla Of Doubt

• Members
  • 10,308 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

I think the idea was to show Bree's Jessica as 'edgy' and 'adult' out of the gate, so as to position her for his idea of a supercouple with Malone's ultimate leading man, Antonio, prince of the streets. And that's exactly what Malone did. The fact that they never really addressed the Cristian issue - or that he'd known her as a young girl - was just weird. I was convinced that had Malone been able to lure Susan Haskell back long-term at that time, he might've done Antonio and Marty as well.

The shame of the Lucas debacle was they cast Evan Bonifant, one of the former Al Holdens of OLTL for that story. Not a bad teen actor. But they never found a thing for any Lucas to do. CJ Thomason, one of the pre-gay teen Lucases, went on to be very good on the CBS slasher miniseries Harper's Island, never to be seen again. I wish they'd bring that character back.

Edited by Vee, 05 December 2012 - 01:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users