Soap Classic distribution license ending with ATWT and GL

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't forget Paley has that OLTL episode from '68 with Gillian Spencer as Viki (http://www.paleycenter.org/collection/item/?q=gillian+spencer&f=people&c=tv&advanced=1&p=1&item=T:30671). It's somewhat of an "incidental" episode, no big splashy wedding or anything like that, which makes me think that there are more random episodes lying around somewhere.

• Members

Most early articles mention the $80 million price tag. Even if she maintained her early ratings it would be a failure just based on how expensive it is. Here's one article: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/the-new-faces-of-daytime-television--katie-couric--jeff-probst--and-ricki-lake-debut-talk-shows.html

It will probably never happen, but it's not ridiculous to say it would be a smart idea to create a new soap or even bring OLTL or AMC back. If you come up with a smart budget it could work. We're over-saturated with talk shows and eventually ABC is going to have to replace Katie.

• Members

I say bring back All My Children or One Life to Live. Wasn't there talk of NBC possibly re-launching Santa Barbara. I have heard that rumor several times but don't know who started it or if there is any truth to it. All I know is we need something because I don't know what it is but it drives me crazy that there are only four soap opera left in daytime. How did we go from 8 in 2008 to 4 in 2012. It's driving me insane. I am tired of talk show after talk show. Who knows maybe having them off air for awhile will give them time to build an audience back up. Maybe NBC should re-launch Another World.

• Members

I watched Katie for the first time the other day, she was interviewing Sally Field. I don't know why I was taken aback by the caliber of such a guest. But yeah, if Anderson couldn't make it, I don't see how Katie is immune. First it was judge shows, and now it's the Maury-styled shows with THREE copycats on the air right now. There is certainly room for some damn scripted drama. I just wish the industry wasn't run by such a bunch of knuckle heads. Is it so much to ask for a head of programming with an eye for the arts as well as the budget? It is not impossible to have an inexpensive scripted series with a very talented inexpensive cast and young brilliant writers looking to make their start. Why does all of this untalented cream always rise to the top? It's sickening. I'm veering OT...

• Members

I watched Katie on her first episode and needless to say turned it after 5 minutes and haven't watched another episode of her since. The audience clapping and everything just sounded so fake. I also read that the affiliates aren't happy with Katie either because her ratings have dropped and she isn't holding up to the show they promised the affiliates. The affiliates are a little upset because they did have to pay to get to air Katie and they are locked in for two year deals. ABC Daytime is so screwed up right now. I am loving General Hospital. It has been stellar lately. I watch everyday but I must say I do miss it airing at 3.

• Members

Frankly, I think a viewer needs a break from real people running their mouths about themselves hour after hour. It's a nice change of pace to have some scripted drama in one's life. Sweet benevolent Jesus on the cross, God forbid this trend should ever invade the theatre or we actors are doomed. Thank God that there are people still interested in watching wonderfully crafted works of fiction. The thing is, that's still very true for TV, at least in primetime and especially on cable. Some wiz out there in TV Land could come up with something revolutionary and evolutionary for daytime drama.

• Members

Absolutely. Call me picky, but I want my entertainment provided to me by PROFESSIONALS, actors, writers, etc. This cheap cop out is bunch of sh!t. I don't watch ANY reality show unless there is actual celebrities on it (an no, that does NOT mean Nene Leakes) If you want cheap reality drama, turn off the TV and pick up your phone... because honey, that is what GOSSIP is for.

• Members

Reality shows are much more related to soaps than people would like to admit or believe. Soaps should look at why reality shows are more popular now than soaps are. This doesn't mean turning soaps into reality shows, but it means bringing soaps back to what people liked about them in the first place. Soaps are ridiculed and parodied for cliche storylines and characters, yet here we go again with another serial killer, another supervillain returning from the dead, etc. If I have to choose between a work of fiction about a supervillain trying to control the world and a talk show about the breakdown of a family, I'm going with the latter in a heartbeat.

• Members

I think it's equal parts the networks pushing them because they are cheap to make, and they make more money on them (This is the same reason we have flat screen TV's) and also there is that voyeuristic quality, like your'e spying on people's personal lives. But I don't think soaps are dying, DAYTIME soaps are dying... Revenge and Nashville and the recently defunct Desperate housewives show that soap is alive and well in primetime.

Archived