Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Instead we got Parker and Liberty and Luke's fake cousin Jade which hardly seemed fair.:(  TPTB didn't want to bother writing would could be complex storylines where they'd actually have to care about the history of the show. I guess creating brand new characters was easier for them. Too bad it was a total bore.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I couldn't stand Liberty. The character was awful period!  Looking back Parker and Jade(especially her) were written terribly . The actress who played Jade had potential but her stories were downright awful. Goutman didnt care to bring back fan favorite family members back. So we were never going to see MJ or recast Duke again.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I didn't mind Jade. I think that Jade fit in perfectly and could've been the perfect vixen for Luke, Will, Allison, Casey, etc. bracket. The issue with her and all the other young adults during that time was that she was spread thin on the canvas. They did nothing with her outside of having her flirt with Will, talk to Luke, and have bitch sessions with Gwen or Maddie. We never saw any ambition with her. Her whole existence was based on getting Will and making Gwen miserable. 

A character like Jade should've been spread out all over the canvas. Seeing as she was a minx, I would've had either Lisa or Carly take her under her wing as they were previous Oakdale queens of chaos. 

I do agree with you that writers on soaps act like it is so hard to bring back a legacy character already in the show's canon. For instance, Hunter (Emily's egg baby) could've easily been one of Annie/Jeff's sons. He would've already been part of the Stewart clan and had ties to Emily and Allison. Hunter was not needed. Emily already had a son in Daniel, who could've provided her tons of story. Especially, seeing as she and Tom had a hard fought custody battle over him. 

Only time if I were to create a character would've been like a daughter for Sabrina or Frannie (preferably Sabrina as she was Kim & Bob's natural child), so the Hughes clan could have a young adult female lead the same age as Casey. 

I didn't care for Liberty too, but what pissed me off about her is that JP gave her ambition. She wanted to be a fashion designer, yet we never saw that with the other established characters on the canvas. Casey didn't decide he wanted to be a lawyer till the end of the show. We hardly ever saw Luke at WOAK. Allison, though a nurse, never had in a work related issues. All her stories consisted of her vagina getting her in trouble. Just a mess. I miss when young characters on soaps had more to offer than having sex and getting pregnant. I miss the ambition. I miss them mixing it up with older characters and building bonds. I miss that. That's what ATWT should've excelled at in the last decade as it did in previous regimes. 

• Members

That's what I remember--you saying you didn't care for MB's Lily. And I think it was @P.J. I remember declaring their hatred for Rose. :P 

It was someone else too. Was it Khan like I said before? Or was it someone else? Just thought sharing the debut episode of Rose would've been funny, as not too many people cared for her. 

Re-watching that episode, I do find it hard to believe that Lyla would've had Katie sleeping in some sh-tty hotels. I am pretty sure that Lyla had money stashed somewhere and Casey too. Plus, Margo was well off, Craig had tons of money, and Cricket/Ernie probably had money too. That was an odd line to me.

I enjoyed seeing Curtis too and rethinking how stupid this show as to never bring back Sarah or Curtis alongside Allison, Casey, Luke, etc. 

• Members

See I forgot about this too. I do remember people on SOC (as I was posting a lot there during this time) moaning about Lyla being written like crap. It's obvious they did this to make the audience sympathetic to Katie, which didn't work. Most of us still hated her till the last day of the show. 

I knew I remember you expressing disdain for Rose before. I knew it was some other posters too. 

• Members

I started to comment on the Soap Opera Awards video when I lost power for like an hour yesterday and I was so grouchy and hot I couldn't focus on writing a damn thing.

I do remember feeling somewhat sad seeing all the people who are no longer around --Douglas Marland, Dixie Carter, even Terry Lester who was in frame as the camera showed Marland on his way to the stage to accept the award for the show, as well as Marland mentioning the sudden passing of Michael David Morrison and I suddenly thought of the fact that it would be a very short time until Marland would pass as well.

Not to mention the fact that I just couldn't shake the feeling that within a decade ATWT, for me, would cease to be the soap I had grown up on and grown to love.  I wanted to stay in the celebratory moment of this video but somehow, I just couldn't manage to, knowing the fate would await this show.