• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As someone who is probably more into the YouTube world than anyone here, I probably should have posted this earlier, but Maisie Williams has started a YouTube channel. She mentions her wonderful friend and one of my favourite YouTubers, Caspar Lee as having helped take the leap in this intro video to her channel. 

There is a surprise guest appearance by a fellow GoT cast member. Not too hard to guess who it is.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

GRRM says the next book won't be out before the tv season comes out. Not surprising but still disappointing. No matter what he says I blame craptastic full of sh'' HBO and the terrible writers along with him.

He claims that some scenes in the book will be spoiled by the show adaptation so I'm bit torn on whether to watch it or not. 

• Members

He was taking a long time writing books long before HBO ever came along. I feel sorry for the guy. He's under a lot of pressure. That blog post was pretty sad. It's not like these books are easy to write. There are so many details, it must take ages to make sure that he's keeping things consistent, even with assistants to help keep things straight.

I'm sure the HBO deal didn't help, but it took forever for A Feast for Crows to come out and that was pre HBO. In a perfect world, the series would just be starting now, but it's just not that serious in the end.

• Members

You're absolutely right and I was aware his pace had slowed down. But because of the show and its popularity and HBO I think it's definitely made it WORSE. That's all I'm saying and I stick by it. 

Lol at that sarcasm from Vee. I'm fully away my lone voice opinion that's not part of the mind meld will probably not be missed that much. Still I've enjoyed watching the show just for the sets and costume design etc. The acting especially was on par even if the plots and storyline decisions themselves were absolute trash. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

Lots of people have their issues with the show, and Season 5 in particular had its flaws. Those other people just don't condemn everything about it with the most extreme hyperbole reserved for every single person involved when even a jot is different, starting with the old man who's writing these massive books and trying to outrun the pace of a TV production. You called him an industry whore two years ago and I lost interest in you, not it.

• Members

I think the pace has slowed because the more he writes the more there is to keep track of. He's built a complex world and he has the type of fans who will spot even the smallest inconsistencies. Every sentence he writes needs to be checked against thousands of other pages of material. Plus he's old and plus writing books isn't like producing widgets. It's really odd to me to see people turn on this guy the way they have. I'm not talking about TPOS so much as the sheer number of "fans" out there spewing pure hate at the very person who created this series they claim to love so much. 

As far as spoiler go, I'm not worried. I have a pretty good idea of how things are going to end. Beyond that, it'll probably be 10 years before the last book comes out, if it ever does. I doubt it's going to be that much like the show. GRRM is notorious for changing things. Hell, the show will be a faded memory to me by then anyway.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

And that's just because you're a judgemental jerk who could not care less bout the integrity of the books/writing and simply want certain "things" out of the show like the countless others. 

It doesn't surprise me in the least and I haven't lost any sleep over it. I'm entitled to my opinion and how I want to state it. It's not hyperbolic when you see just how terrible and off base the show has become fro me here it first started. The only difference is they you will do or say anything to justify each and every flaw no matter how big or small it is. And if I simply call out that so and so makes absolutely no sense you want to paint me as out of touch or the villain. It's laughable at this point considering how terribly received season 5 and all the controversies. But I expect nothing less. 

Julia you bring up a good point about the cross referencing to prior novels and making sure certain details don't counter or mismatch them. I just don't think that that would take significant loads of time. 

As for the hate I wonder if it's mostly his older fans. Those who have reading and rereading the series since it first began all those years ago. I'm sure some of them were also fans of Robert Jordan and just see the same thing happening again with this beloved series. I got into it right before the show started and the wait is killing me. Plus his various statements sometimes don't help matters. I can't even begin to process the agony of waiting that will take place between the next book and final one....

I cling to this fan theory (from the comments section of the article I read)

"pretty sure this is just a ploy, he's been dragging his heels so the TV show will come out first on purpose... and then the storyline in the books will be drastically different, a big 2 fingers to HBO and the TV writers."

God that would be such perfection....

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

I care plenty about integrity, I just like a TV show you hate. There's a vast and profound difference and it's not that serious. As for what "things" I want out of the show, feel free to clue me in because I honestly have no idea what they are.

Your problem is you equate your opinion with an absolute kind of integrity, intellect and artistic appreciation superior to the rest of the audience's. And it's not just me, it's just about everyone who seriously disagrees with you who you've casually dismissed as idiots. At least when I do that on this forum I don't pretend it's all about my social or artistic conscience.

Since you've been here you've been calling Martin a Hollywood whore for giving the story to HBO and "selling out" and you clearly had no real interest in the series as adapted. That's your problem, it's no one else's. I read as much as you do and I'm as sensitive to the issues of adaptation as you are, I simply don't feel GOT to be as blanket objectionable as you have for years, and I don't vilify or burn the author or the showrunners at the stake because I'm overly invested in something that's just a bunch of fuckin' books and a silly TV show. The vituperative abuse you heap on these people is hilariously over the top and it killed any possibility of my taking you seriously from moment one.

Word of advice: Get over the idea that you're a truth-teller or a martyr. You're just one of thousands of geeks on the Internet reading a book and watching a television show. Your anger is not unique or different to many of them. You and this are not that important - stop acting like it's a deep offense to mankind if someone likes something you don't. If you don't like it and you can't stand that other people do, move on with your life. Nothing will ever change except you. The problem is, I think you're genuinely convinced that if you keep spewing abuse at these people that they'll actually bow to your will as though it's some civilized debate. It won't. Let it go, Indiana.

Edited by Vee