• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've been much more impressed than I thought I would be so far. (Haven't seen today's ep yet) The obnoxious online behavior of the now-ousted showrunner had me skeptical from a year or two ago when this was first announced, and as a longtime X-fan going back to the '80s I have a limited amount of patience for '90s nostalgia since the X-Men books were in the shitter in that period AFAIC. But I did enjoy the cartoon a lot as a kid, and they've managed to update it in really smart ways while pushing the envelope both in character and content. It's still a family cartoon but it's very bold in some ways.

• Members

@Vee let me know when you've watched the latest episode. I want to hear your opinion on it. And I know that Beau DeMayo might've been a terror bts but Marvel needs to rethink that and slap him in some therapy or something. He is really creating a masterpiece with this show. 

And to soap fans that are lurking, I STRONGLY suggest you watch. It has it soapy elements that'll endear you and is much more mature than one would imagine. 

• Members

Oh, it's definitely a soap. In the classic Claremont tradition. They needed to give Lifedeath more episodes though. That first part was too swift. Watching today's now.

• Members

It is not lost on me that Genosha's current landmass and much of its visuals, government, background characters, etc. look exactly like the Krakoa era. A very bittersweet moment, in addition to the horniness being turned up in this show just like on Krakoa.

• Members

Agreed. I think Storm/Forge's arc should've expanded a few more episodes. But next week is a detour from the Genosha massacre to Storm's story again. I am eager to see how it all plays out with Storm and the Adversary. 

I am just glad that this series is finally acknowledging Storm as being an omega-level mutant. 

Even though Gambit isn't considered omega-level, many people think this recent episode suggests that he might be given how it ended. I don't know. I am on the fence. However, after this episode, I feel for my girl, Rogue. Talk about going from a controversial triangle to her grieving both of her suitors. 

And this show is just right on the pulse of what is going on in America. Whether it was the trial of Magneto/the Friends of Humanity being like MAGA, or today's episode mirroring what is going on in Ukraine or even Palenstine--I am finding this show to be the must-see TV show for me thus far this year. I am glad they are making it 1 episode a week instead of binging. I just wish that it wasn't 10 episodes and they had expanded it to 15 or more. But whatever. I think the success of this show is going to lead to them rebooting Spiderman and doing other animated series. 

• Members

It's clear they sped through stuff very fast (Maddy, Inferno, Lifedeath, etc.) knowing they only had 10 eps and might not get renewed. It really needs at least 15 IMO. It's a half-hour cartoon, let it breathe.

• Members
Posted (edited)

....So after watching THAT, this series is probably the peak of X-Men media outside of the comics, which I was not expecting at all from this going into it as I said earlier. The animation and direction are just firing on all cylinders, and there is a very heavy anime influence in the kineticism of the action - Gambit on the bike, etc. is straight out of Akira. The subliminal flash cuts heavily resemble Neon Genesis Evangelion to me (and there's a nice, very subtle touch of Magneto's final mental flashback being to Auschwitz, not Genosha). They really went all-out. This is also the first time I've ever really rooted for Rogue/Gambit as a couple; I've never liked him. But he was great in the final act.

@DRW50 (who I hope will get to this show) will notice a lot of parallels to not just the Krakoa era overall - the party/gala is lifted from both the ending of House of X and the Krakoan Hellfire Galas right down to decor/architecture, the Quiet Council is here, the statues, while the city area is similar to Genosha from the comics - but also a big echo of House of X #4's fatal space attack on the Mother Mold. It is very bittersweet watching this show at the eve of the Krakoa era in the comics, but especially given how this episode ends. They sort of merge it with the actual Genoshan genocide in Morrison's X-Men run in 2000s, which is where the Tri-Sentinel here comes from. I suspect this is not where the Krakoa parallels will end, assuming we do not intend to still be short several key characters at the close of this season.

Certain things, as I said, have been speedrun across the first half of this season, even by the standards of Saturday morning cartoon pacing; Maddy, Inferno, Forge and Storm's romance, Scott and Maddy's 'psychic affair' just being dropped into the middle of this episode (another direct lift from Morrison, with Jean 'walking in' on Scott and Maddy in an identical scene to her finding Scott and Emma together). They clearly didn't know if they would be another streaming casualty when they made this show so they threw in everything they possibly could. But most of it really works despite the rushed bits. And you can't argue with this episode, easily the best thing they've done. Lenore Zann's voice has changed since the '90s but she sold this stuff very well, and Cal Dodd remains the definitive Wolverine.

And yes: It is very much a SOAP. The dressing-downs Jean and Scott give each other and Trish Tilby could come straight from soap opera, and are very well-done. The '90s needledrop of Ace of Base during the gala was great. I was surprised they did not pull the punch on Rogue and Magneto actually having a romance; before this I was sure it would be a misdirect to make Gambit jealous. The adult treatment of social issues and sensuality mirror both horny old Claremont and the Krakoa era. I'm a little surprised Disney let them get away with the last 20 minutes. The title of this episode was appropriate. A lot of kids will never forget it.

Hi @Darn!

One thing I missed: The Watcher in the skies over Genosha. They cleverly show his shadow over the party.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

It’s easily the best thing Marvel has produced since the end of the Infinity saga - and most of their Disney+ outings to date have either been a mixed bag or completely abysmal, IMO. 

The X-Men IP is Marvel’s strongest IP, but they’ve either never treated it well or left it in the hands of people who completely misunderstood it or saw it as a quick cash grab (much of the the Fox era films). This show finally gives the source material some reverence while charting some unique territory of its own. You can tell it’s being run by people who respect the IP. 

I agree, some things have been rushed due to the 10 episode season 1 order. The Goblin Queen stuff should have been a multi-episode arc alone IMO, but it’s easy to overlook as the show has been compelling on an episode by episode basis so far. 

There’s a lot of heart and humanity to much of the material, and sometimes you forget it’s the continuation of a 90’s Saturday morning cartoon. It’s really a pleasant surprise in this era. I’m glad it’s breaking ratings records for animated shows on Disney+. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I might give the edge to WandaVision thus far, but it's definitely close.

It still hits hard as a comics fan knowing Krakoa is ending around the same time as its very close analog on TV. But I expect Marvel will return to the Krakoa status quo in comics eventually - revivals are big.

• Members
Posted (edited)

IMO, the Krakoa era has been threading water since Hickman abruptly left. I’m still upset he never got to finish his plans as the head of the X office. Krakoa did change the status quo for the X books though (which was badly needed).

I can’t say what’s planned for the line relaunch has me too excited, but then I think entirety of Marvel comics (and DC for that matter) has been pretty abysmal for a looooong time. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members
Posted (edited)

I do wish he'd stayed longer, but I also think a lot of the post-Inferno Krakoa with Ewing, Gillen, etc. was very solid. Especially X-Men Red. (Hickman says he simply left amiably because his colleagues wanted to stay in the current island setup longer, and seems very supportive of them - I suspect he intended to have the mutants move fully into space.) They did mangle Moira without him though. Fortunately that seems to be getting reset.

I would've liked to see them dump some of the more tired writers (Duggan), refresh creatives and keep going. But there needed to be a Sinister moratorium for awhile. Enough Sinister. 

The 'back to basics revamp' looks deeply uninspired and uninteresting, but I am glad to see a potential better role for my poor Betsy Braddock.

Anyway, Beau DeMayo tweeted last night:

Please register in order to view this content

His online behavior has often rubbed me the wrong way and I was not entirely shocked when he was abruptly fired - he seemed arrogant and unctuous. But there's no denying this work has been very good, and a lot of the staff seems very supportive of him even now. Assuming he doesn't turn out to be some sort of sex pest (which also would not shock me) I hope an arrangement can be reached for him to continue.

Edited by Vee

• Members

@Vee didn't it come out that Beau also might've had an OnlyFans too? Regardless, they need to find a way to keep this man on the staff somehow. With the 10 episodes they got, he threaded this show together beautifully. As aforementioned, this was some of the best "soap opera" I've seen in a long time. And now that you framed it that way (it being that they might not've gotten a renewal), I get why he crammed so much in so little time. 

And I caught The Watcher in the sky when others pointed it out on Twitter! 

Please register in order to view this content

@BetterForgotten, I agree that Madelyn's arc should've been stretched out for episodes along with Storm's. I was hysterically laughing at the emotional affair Scott/Maddie were having and Emma being messy and peeping in on it too. I hope Emma gets planted in the mess going forward too as we know of their history in the comics. But I tip my hat to Beau that he didn't just cast Maddie aside and have things end up wrapped up with a bow. I am glad they keep the emotional connection open with Scott and the clone (Maddie). But yes, I need Emma to be tossed in the mix to make the quadrangle of Wolverine/Jean/Scott/Maddie to become a quintet. 

• Members

A lot of people have speculated Mystique may be Val. (I don't think it should be tagged for that reason, there's no spoiler there.) She has impersonated her before in the comics. I found it suspicious that they focused on her reaction to Rogue and Magneto, and more importantly that they go out of their way neither to name Mystique nor show her true form in Rogue's flashback when they show Rogue and her "evil mother". So I think it's a real possibility.

I don't think we're going to see a quad after this - I think they are going to reaffirm Scott and Jean, which is fine with me. The writing is very good. I love Emma but I don't need Emma to get a big role right now.