BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Pandemic taught them they can't sell soap to an audience at home by simply advertising in the supermarkets. They need to get their brand back in the minds of everyday consumers. Seriously though, this is great. Already reached out to a contact at the studios to see if I might get more info on this and what else is cooking up behind the scenes. As I said last summer, pandemic and strikes were eye openers to the industry. During both occasions, the only genre or daypart still chucking along was daytime and soaps in particular. It didn't go unnoticed.

Now, that Net Code contract will be even more valuable when it's up for renewal soon. Hopefully, SAG-AFTRA pays attention and secures a good deal the AMPTP can live with. It'll only help spearhead more developments.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, that's what I was discussing earlier in the thread some pages back. Glad I wasn't crazy for noticing them enduring for people in front of and behind the camera (and the networks) during strikes and the streamer implosion.

Edited by Vee

• Webmaster

Also, so with Sheila Ducksworth as co-EP from CBS Studios/NAACP Venture, Kimberly Doebereiner from P&G as VP of advertising, what part of CBS, NAACP and P&G are the other two from?

Talking of Leon Russell and Derrick Johnson

Yup. You not crazy.

Just believe in THRIVING! Haha.

• Webmaster

One thing I can't wait to see, and I really enjoyed being part of during the AMC/OLTL reboots, is the casting releases! Finding out who is joining this show and what character they play as news trickles in will give me (and the Community) LIFE!!!!

• Members

Having worked on projects that were led by Marc Pritchard for P&G, he’s a smart and tough cookie that isn’t afraid to spend money to make money. I know he wouldn’t have signed off on this endeavour back to scripted content across multiple mediums if he didn’t have a good reason to. Extremely intelligent, and tough man who is not afraid to call people out on their bullsh!t. As I said before, he’s one person I am sure will not put his name or P&G’s name on a crap product (unless it’s beyond his control). 

• Webmaster

Outside of episode count and differences in pay, five years isn't actually something I'd worry about. Primetime shows required seven season deals and even with shorter filming schedules, it gave actors limited chances of doing a movie and a series simultaneously. A soap could still manage this similar to how GH is now doing with NIcholas Chavez. The only problem is the actor should remember soaps ARE NOT a stepping stone for "bigger and better things." They are just as much a TV show as "9-1-1" or "This is Us."

• Webmaster

Right! And there was no SON. At best, there was SoapZone (forget it's name before it was called that, btw) and the AMC Pages (now called Soap Central). Soap Opera Network launched in October 2001, more than two years after "Passions." Theoretically, none of us were alive in the social media/message board instance in terms of our respective user names. Heck, I didn't even go by my real name back in those early days. How far we've come in the last 22-25 years.

• Members

What does that mean for Days of our Lives? 

Could CBS use this new show to play hardball with Bold and Beautiful?  Could Bold and Beautiful try to go elsewhere, to another network perhaps? 

• Webmaster

I wouldn't worry about B&B. I don't doubt this is why CBS opted to just give the show an extension for another year instead of negotiating a new deal as it leaves the network to worry about other areas across its lineup while enabling it to put its focus on developing this show.

B&B is not in danger despite those demos.