ALL: Errors, Myths, Omissions & Firsts that weren't

• Members

some interesting soap connections in that episode:

the physician who performed the abortions was played by judson laire, who was on both love is a many splendored thing and as the world turns;

kathleen widdoes (another world and ‘world turns) played the young woman who had the abortion;

augusta dabney (too many soaps to list) was also in the cast. 

also remember that episode being featured in a mad men episode. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've come to believe that individuals claiming "soap opera firsts" really need to distinguish between radio soap operas and television soap operas.  Or at least indicate which they are referring to.  Because several supposed "firsts" on television soaps actually occurred years earlier on radio soaps.  This is often totally ignored.  And since radio soaps and television soaps are actually the same genre, I believe it should be indicated (radio or television, or both).  Otherwise the "first" might be historically inaccurate.  

• Members

I'll give an example of what I mean:  In an earlier post in this thread, someone stated that Another World had the first soap opera spin-off (Somerset, 1970).  Our fellow poster, Countess Donnatella, corrected that statement by mentioning that Guiding Light had a spin-off decades earlier on radio.   So the truth is -- Guiding Light had the first soap opera spin-off.  And Another World had the first television soap opera spin-off.   

To simply state that Another World had the first soap opera spin-off is historically inaccurate.  

So when we research and publish soap opera firsts, we need to remember the radio days too.  Or at least make clear we are only talking about television soaps.  There are incredible inaccuracies in most lists of soap opera firsts, and many have been published in books as well as online. At least some of these inaccuracies could be cleared-up by merely using the term "television soap opera" rather than simply "soap opera."   

• Members
Posted (edited)

I find also in writing about these subjects, I employ adjectives, qualifiers like "US daytime" or "primetime" or "English-speaking" ... and that is because I deal with fans of US daytime, US primetime, British & Australian soaps. Words help. And, you are making an important point! 

Also, in a blog of mine I write: We did not start from scratch & create the TV soap. No, first came the radio soap. That began in the ’30s and lasted well through the ’50s with overlap while radio & TV both were airing soaps. GL even aired the same basic script in the morning for radio & down the block to another building, for the TV version in the afternoon. When people first came up with the idea for TV soaps there was fear that they wouldn’t work. They were new & the status quo was very successful. As it turned out the new type of soap was even more successful than the original, which is saying quite a lot. Irna Phillips was the mother of the radio soap & so she also became the mother of the TV soap. The TV soap definitely owes a debt of gratitude to the radio soap & the creators of the new medium definitely stood on the shoulders of the original medium.

I realize this is going further than what you are saying. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members
Posted (edited)

Santa Barbara, Bridget & Jerome Dobson, New World & NBC, the issue, the lockout, the lawsuits & the impact on the show. 

Wesley Hyatt Ency of Daytime: 

Wikipedia entry for the show

Wikipedia The Dobsons 

Fandom wiki Santa Barbara

SOD 

Michael Fairman

LA Times

So, we know that Chuck Pratt is wrong & Anne Howard Bailey is correct. Some sources say the lock out began Oct. 1, 1987. Most say 1988. I distinctly remember that New World settled first and NBC let it drag on some but I couldn't find actual dates for either of the two settlements. We further know that the Dobsons won & they were paid an unknown of money. We also have this quote from Bridget from an interview, "It was impossible for Anne Howard Bailey to get inside my head, and I could not get in her head. She has a darker view of life than I do; I think she thinks of me as Pollyanna, and I think of her as Darth Vader." - Bridget Dobson, about SB

Edited by Contessa Donatella
typo