GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Wow, thanks so much for these clips. I can't stand CW's Nina and only ever saw her before for that short stint as the crazy sister on YR. Yep, she should have left her face alone, so pretty. Loved seeing Clint Buchanan as the attorney. LOL

I hated Ava so much in the beginning. Also never saw MW in anything else until GH. Then they gave her cancer when she left the show for a while, and I honestly missed her outrageous character. Didn't care for the whole cousin Denise DeWhatever that she came back as, but I love MW now and will forever.

Oh, and get RID of the head-bobbing Portia. Can we trade her straight out for Zeke?

Edited by Beachstorm

• Members
Posted (edited)

Ugh, can't stand GT either. She's been out of work for how many years? And no one has picked her up? Seriously. Never want to see Kelly Kramer ever again (cuz she ain't no Phyllis).

Edited by Beachstorm

• Members

I actually think not seeing MW in other shows hurts us.  I never watched ATWT and I do think we miss some context on an icon role.

Listen, she's pretty and seems good at the acting thing.  I just would never put her up for numerous roles.  I don't think I'd dislike her.  I just have always missed the charm other people see.

I only like about 10 characters currently on GH so my taste level is just probably way off though. 

• Members

Why not? I liked her on Guiding Light but seeing her on The Young and the Restless made me love her.

Plus, I'd love to see her vs. Laura Wright again!

I think not knowing her work on World Turns does change things. New York soaps, as we know, were just built differently. And West carried World Turns.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I couldn't stand her on OLTL. But I think she did incredible work at both GL and Y&R. She earned my respect. She was also very nearly Carly #2, 3 or 4.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Carly Tenney-Snyder was also a force to be reckoned with & CarJack & "True North" really do rival Jeva & "Always" but Ava Jerome is, like, the part Maura was born to play. I have noticed that Ava is strong enough that I do not see the edges of Maura in the performance, when with Oakdale's Carly, I always could see Maura underneath pulling the strings. I don't know if that will sense to you. The thing is they have no business putting Ava in situations where she is seen as weak. 

What I should have said: Carly Lowe Munson (invalid) Dixon (invalid) Snyder (invalid) Snyder Snyder Snyder (ATWT)

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

IMO, MW's best-ever work was during her first stint (1995-1996) on ATWT, when her performances were so raw and natural that Marlena DeLaCroix labelled her as "a young Carroll Baker."  It was almost as if she did not know that she was working on a soap opera. 

Since then, MW has done good work - on WT, then on Y&R, now on GH - but her performances also have become soapier, if you know what I mean.  Often, that is due to the writing, as soaps in general really don't develop characters like early Carly Tenney anymore; but other times, I feel it is due more to Maura's acting choices.

And as for Gina Toblerone?  This always reminds me of that moment in "Coming to America" when...well, just watch this clip and you will know what I am saying, lol.