ALL: Character original names

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Marcus Aurelius would have been a little "on the nose" given that his brother was named Roman,  But, somewhere along the way they would've needed to explain why this Irish family named their sons after leaders of the Roman Empire.  And if Caroline had named him Pericles, his Greek origin would've been too obvious.

• 1 year later...
  • Errol changed the title to ALL: Character original names
  • Members

They must have hung on to this idea for a bit. I recall seeing a clip from 1982 with Catherine Mary Stewart's Kayla telling someone - I think it may have been Marlena? - about her absent brother Marcus.

Obviously, by the time he showed up in 1983, he was Beauregard/Bo.

Although someone must have liked the name Marcus, since the character of Marcus Hunter did come later on...

• Members

In the original pre-OLTL bible for AMC, the Martin family was the Craig family: Dr. Joe Craig, his son John, daughter Teresa (nicknamed Tara), and younger son Danny. The Brents - Ted, Ruth, and Phil - were originally the Martins, and Ruth’s sister Amy was originally Carol.

Nina Cortlandt was first referred to as Lily.

• Members

From the bible:

"...Joe returned with his elder son, John, age twenty, who is now away at pre-med himself, seventeen-year old Teresa, generally known as Tara, and twelve-year old Danny..."

It also gives Joe's late father and Kate's late husband the name "John," but I believe he ended up being referred to as "Henry" on the show.

• Members

I believe Carol stayed on and tried to save her marriage to Linc and form a relationship with her son, Phillip,who had killed his real father Nick Davis.

Was it worth it to have Rosemary Prinz only agree to 6 months and then drop the character for good? At least a recast Amy could have returned say a year later to play out the story.

It never made sense to me that Amy would just leave and that was that.

• Members

This is correct. From what I gather, Nick was meant to be a much more villainous figure who never shows up in PV. Phil goes to work at his bar in New York and is finally driven to a moment of temporary anger in which he beats Nick to death. Of course, Nick goes on to become one of the defining faces of the show in the 70s, so I bet the change in story for both he and Carol/Amy was due to Rosemary agreeing to play Amy but for only six months. The whole story of Phil's paternity would have felt like a waste of time if both of his real parents were gone within the first year.

• Members

Terry. Also, the "Episode 1" with the cleaner type face is from the 1967 draft.

I love that the show's opening was originally described as people walking up a hill with the whole "The Great and the Least" thing as an epigram similar to Day's "Like sands through the hour glass..."

Please register in order to view this content

She wasn't in the bible.

The copy of the bible the images are taken from is from the one in Bill Bell's collection at UCLA.