Beyond Salem Chapter 2 Discussion Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm still enjoying it.

I love how they're putting Paul and Andrew through the tropes that every soap couple goes through before they finally became a couple (Sharing a hotel room with one bed, tying ties, etc.) I also love how excited Paul is for their date at the gala 

The dynamic between Tripp, Joey and Wendy is also fun to watch. I'm interested in seeing if they plan on doing anything more with her in the future. And I do think NuJoey is cute, but y'all can have him. I'll stick with Tripp 

Please register in order to view this content

The weakest part for me are the Heaven scenes. Peter Reckell and Loretta Devine have good chemistry, but damn are those scenes cringey. Even more cringey than Craig and Leo's failed wedding. That's literally the only thing I have a problem with. And, with the way that it's being written, the fact that Bo was able to get a second chance to go back to Earth and save Hope makes me feel really bad for the countless dead people that had to have attempted to do the same thing before Bo did only to have their request denied 

And, I see they made a mistake when Bo was pleading his case: it ended up not being Hope that was in the cage, it was Greta lol a stupid rewrite at the time but still...

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I think it's fine too.  I liked the first one better and thought it was more creative, but there are 2 episodes left, so I reserve judgement until then.  The Heaven stuff is cringey.  I have to agree with whoever said this would work as a 2 week event better.  There are good things happening and interesting characters, but it's all squeezed into such a short period it's hard to connect with everything.

• Members

NO! Not a bit of it. There's not even a decent place to get Jan Spears a greasy, drippy cheeseburger! No amenities.

It is very stimulating. It may even be over-stimulation. Everything is happening to a fast metronome, or to Bob Fosse finger snaps, maybe. They say that it was Gloria Month's habit to stand nearby & snap her fingers to remind her worker bees to keep the pace up. Everybody here is on pace!

• Members

I think there is a difference between fast paced and missing large beats.  Paul and Andrew were in about 2 scenes.  Ditto with Wendy, Tripp, and Joey.  It's clear so far they are trying to push a lot of characters in and don't have the time to build anything substantial although I like the idea of both pairings/groupings. 

It's been fine so far.  I just think Beyond Salem might have too many characters to juggle right now.

Also, was Hope just wearing that prism in her cleavage in full view?  That looked really weird lol.

• Members

Even if the last one worked as a stand-alone from what was happening on DOOL, they still used characters that were mostly on the canvas - this one they use a lot of characters that haven't been on for ages, some that have also been dead. It probably would've been enough to have the Bo / Hope and Meghan Hathaway returns story on it if they wanted to keep it to five episodes. Either that or expand it to two weeks, if not three. It's a busy canvas on BSII.

Not really enjoying it as much as BS #1. The heaven stuff with Bo, Loretta Devine and Larry Welch was tedious. I find myself skipping through a lot of boring stuff.  Not much happens until the end which i wouldn't spoil.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I think you could do an entire full season from the characters.  Even if it was weekly, you could probably pull 16 episodes from this.  I know 4 months is a long time to take away from the main show, but if they blocked it out better Steve/Kayla could be in the first few episodes, then John/Marlena, then Gabi/Shin and pretty much everyone else is off the main show, so they could fill in the gaps and everyone meets for the climax.  All regular Days would have to do is throw a few scenes in explaining some of the intrigue and call it a day.  Again, I think most of the ideas are decent-it's just way too busy like you said.