HBO: Industry

• Members

Has anyone else seen this? It's a coproduction between HBO and BBC Two in the UK and is about 5 young graduates working at the same London investment bank. 

The first three episodes have aired and the remaining 5 were just release on HBO Max (and will continue to air on HBO as scheduled).

Aside from some very explicit scenes, I think the show really captures the City scene. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's good to hear.

It sounds like how I feel about the show (and the book) SWEETBITTER. As someone in that industry I find so much of it rings true...so color me even more intrigued with this information. Thank you.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I've seen ads for this and have been tempted to check it out. I worked at one time in the industry and still work in financial services-adjacent, just not in trading or investment banking. My dad worked for investment banks for a while, though -- he was basically married to the company. It takes a certain kind of person to make it in that field -- single-vision focus to the exclusion of anything else -- to the point where bankers will show up at the airport having forgotten to pack a bag or bring their passport. Family/personal life takes a backseat. Many workerbees in the industry are on second or third marriages, and try and get out in their 40s because the pace is unsustainable.

BTW I'm not sure when all the sex is meant to happen. I missed out, lol -- I was basically working day and night! We did hear rumors though of trader douchery, and people being on coke or Adderall.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Finished episodes 7 and 8 today.

The show really came together in episode 4 and the tension in episode 8 about who was hired back was palpable. Really well done. 

Ultimately, I wasn't left rooting for any of the characters (with, perhaps, the exception of Gus) - they're all bad in their own way and highly self interested. That said, from what I know of the industry, I think the writers got it right and I'd watch a Season 2.