The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I want to say too little, too late, Jake, but it's still better than we're getting from most places. 

@Vee has already said so much about how worthless and leech-like Semafor is (their site also continues to resemble a web soap put together in 1996), but here's just one more example. 

• Members

She's getting roasted for it too. I'm not sure how long it will be before Politico and Semafor inevitably eat each other and become one being, but I cannot wait for the years when this entire access journalism complex implodes on itself like the streaming boom. Since it was tweeted by the odious David Sirota I won't repost the reveal that Politico hosted some sort of disgusting pitch by the American Bankers Association for more deregulation of bank mergers which Politico posted as a news item (the ABA is one of their many corrupt key sponsors they regularly host online and at events with zero daylight between their news arm) - only for their latest ex-Republican admin hire to angrily protest that no, no, it was a 'newsletter item'. Classic Politico. Since Punchbowl is basically Politico with a new hat like Malibu Stacey on The Simpsons, I also won't miss Jake Sherman's daddy hero worship of any savvy Republican who comes by, or in the case of guys like McCarthy just the latest Republican who can give him access and macho cred despite being an idiot or a monster.

As for Tapper, the other Jake has always been complicated. He was a surprisingly forthright voice a lot of times in the last decade, but he's as prone to the same dumb errors as many very on-air people, and he is still responsible for angrily crusading for Fox to keep their access in the Obama era. Some of these people are flawed but have decency; others are simply craven sociopaths. Even Rachel Maddow, who I like a lot despite her longwinded rambling build-ups on air, had the truly idiotic pitch for "make Trump promise not to run and then pardon him" the other day. Give me a break. In any event, MSNBC won the day's ratings and also came out very forcefully against Trump.

Edited by Vee

• Members

A rare moment of accurate, razor-sharp insight from an otherwise very cosseted, dismissive and self-congratulatory NYT publisher A.G. Sulzberger in this very frustrating but illuminating profile. He doesn't seem to realize he's helped cultivate exactly what he describes.

• Members

For the past few months, I have been following the ICWA case. The U.S.  had a history of not abiding by the treaties signed with native peoples, this is a course correction of that, imo as well as centuries of damage done to native people with families being forced apart.
The same folks complaining about the U.S. actually abiding by a signed treaty with the indigenous nations and recognizing their sovereign rights are the same people who will romanticize the militia groups who trade gunfire with law enforcement on illegally occupied government land.

• 2 weeks later...