The soap opera writers' discussion

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This large website includes so many images: Helen Wagner, Bill Bell, Agnes Nixon, Eileen Fulton, a GL Commemoration, maybe Carla Gray/Ellen Holly I am unsure, Christopher Goutman, Robert Newman & Kim Zimmer, very old GL logo, another unknown person, ATWT characters, Pete Lemay, Luke & Laura, glammed up Hope & Bo, Irna's autograph, Beverly Penberthy, Ted Corday, Robin Strasser, Robyn Griggs, Don Hastings, Anne Heche, Anne Sweeney, James Noble, quadraplegic actor from AW Mitch Longley, "Young Doctor Malone", AW's Ryan & Vicky, Another World logo with the rings encircling and announcing its NOW in color, etc. Believe it or not, it goes on!

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Carlivato

Dunn

When Rauch was still at PGP, they had a Development Program in place to prepare for the next to come. They had 2 people who were full-time shadows of Chris Goutman, learning how to do his job, EP, rather than the jobs they were doing, DIR. Those 2 people were Ellen Wheeler and Scott McKinsey. McKinsey has continued to be a Director & is very well spoken of. For a while he was at Y&R, then GH. Now he is at DOOL.

• Members

I was one of a great many AW fans near the end of the show who could not stand what Michael Malone did to the show! He didn't grasp most of the characters. For just one example, he seemed to think that Jake McKinnon was a kind of "gentleman caller." In reality Jake had a chip on his shoulder, always had, always would. Malone just wiped that off. Whoosh! Gone! He had Jake & Vicky go back to their roots & get their childhood swing set & move it to a park nearby & go swing on it nearly every day. Okay? Like wha-at?! Robert Kelker-Kelly was brought on as a character named Bobby Reno, who had been in a terrible accident & had to have corneal transplants. The eyes he got were Ryan's. Ryan had been Vicky's lover. They even met in heaven! Malone had written a bible that was planned for supper time broadcast M-F, approximately 7 p.m. It was set in New Orleans. Robert Kelker-Kelly's character became Shane Roberts, (Yes, they changed his name!) from East Louisiana, without any corneal issues any more. And, he was romantically entangled with Lisa Peluso's character, Lila. Lila was terrified of storms. But, at the same time Lila was also connected to Matt Cory & to Cass Winthrop. Lila got pregnant & had a baby, Jasmine. By this time, this 6 months of story telling was completely convoluted. I can't remember if they fired him or let him write the show out to the two-day finale complete with wedding in the park (Cass & Lila) and a gorilla capturing Cass. The gorilla's name was Carolyn, after Carolyn Culliton, and her handler's name was Sam, after Samuel D. Ratcliffe, a prior AW brilliant humorous writer, RIP.

Edited by Donna B
The NOLA bible was named "13 Bourbon St." & was co-written with Josh Griffith.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Kreizman

Elana Levine, academic, Mar. 2020 publishing book at Duke University Press, Her Stories Daytime Soap Opera and US Television History

F.M. Behr

Gary Tomlin, began as an actor on SFT & worked all the way through all of daytime industry

James Lipton

MADD & Rauch

• Members

When AW brought Jean Passanante on to HW or co-HW (with Laiman) at the end, Vicky Wyndham told me they had promised Passanante was to write romance & give them romance on the show. Well, no one ever saw any of the promised romance. Between the oddball story of Lumina, complete with the Lumina Ball, David Andrew MacDonald playing 2 characters where one of them was facially disfigured Jordan Stark, we got Cameron & Alley in a re-told version of "The Secret Garden" & that was about it. Backing up to Malone, we had fared no better.

• Members

I just found out that Marley (Love Hudson) was created by Richard Culliton and

Vicky (Love Hudson) was created by Gary Tomlin and

Donna (Love Hudson) was created by Robert Soderberg & Dorothy Ann Purser together.

For some reason I thought they shared the same creator or creation team. Not so. That's a fine bit of characterization writing, especially coming out of 4 different people.

• Members

This doesn't exactly fit here but I don't know where it would go, so I'm going to squeeze it in here. I'm looking for the death date of a writer about soaps, not a soap opera writer. And, that is Christopher Schemering. He wrote THE SOAP OPERA ENCYCLOPEDIA © 1985 & CHRISTOPHER SCHEMERING'S GL 50TH ANNIVERSARY © 1986 & THE SOAP OPERA ENCYCLOPEDIA © 1987. He also wrote a column & collected articles & memorabilia & struggled with getting complete, accurate info. He even solicited info from fans in the 1985 Encyclopedia & included it in the next, 1987, edition. I have his books. What I can't find anywhere, so far anyway, is his obituary. Anyone know when he died? I have the general sense that it was young.

• Members
  • Members

"At NBC programmers admitted that they went to a 90-minute show 'because they couldn't come up with a better idea.'"

MARY STUART...If America's three contributions to world culture are musical comedy, jazz, and soap opera, …

ROY WINSOR ...lIf Irna Phillips is to be called the mother of soap opera, then Roy Winsor must be called father of the television soap opera

HENRY SLESAR ... multi-award-winning master of suspense won a wide following with his sarcastically witty dialogue and patently wild denouements. …