Jump to content
cassadine1991

Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

 

Victoria and Nick were such twats during this time. I HATE how this show fired Chris Engen and turned Adam into a mustache twirling maniac. The character should've stuck to his roots and simply been a corporate raider who usurped Victoria as Victor's rightful heir before turning on Victor. 

 

I also hate how the show didn't align Adam/Abby as Victor's 'bastard children' (in Nikki and her kids eyes), and have them rival Nick/Victoria. That was nuked to hell when MAB thought it was bright to have Adam switch Sharon/Ashley's babies. Didn't he burn Ashley's fetus in the damn fireplace?

Yeah, it should have been Adam and Abby vs Nick and Victoria although Nick never cared a damn about Newman. I wish Adam would have turned out to be the son Victor wanted in Nick. Nick would have been jealous with envy at how great they got along. Abby and Victoria never had a rivalry....what a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soapsuds said:

Yeah, it should have been Adam and Abby vs Nick and Victoria although Nick never cared a damn about Newman. I wish Adam would have turned out to be the son Victor wanted in Nick. Nick would have been jealous with envy at how great they got along. Abby and Victoria never had a rivalry....what a waste.

 

They hinted at a rivalry between Abby/Victoria when Marcy Rylan first took the role, but it was nixed immediately as Abby became a Nikki apologist. After all the heinous sh-t Victoria/Nikki did to Ashley, it would've been poetic justice for Abby to have dished it right back at them. I hate how they made Abby drop her hatred for Nikki so quickly. Ugh! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

 

They hinted at a rivalry between Abby/Victoria when Marcy Rylan first took the role, but it was nixed immediately as Abby became a Nikki apologist. After all the heinous sh-t Victoria/Nikki did to Ashley, it would've been poetic justice for Abby to have dished it right back at them. I hate how they made Abby drop her hatred for Nikki so quickly. Ugh! 

It didn't help that buck tooth has been in the role like forever. Heather Tom vs a better recast Abby would have been golden with Ashley and Nikki going at it again with Victor stuck in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

The Internet was around in 1987, only then it was known as the World Wide Web but the only people who really had access to and used it were scientists.

I can remember using the World Wide Web as early as 1994 as a student, way before it was in use by the general public.

 

 

 

I used it the summer of 1995 on a college campus when I was interning with NASA as a high school student. That was my first introduction.  By 1998, the internet and chat rooms were old hat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

Not really sure why Chelsea gets the attention she does, either.

 

I wouldn't mind Chelsea if SSM had put in effort to make her a character worth rooting for instead of almost immediately sticking her with Nicholas once JH exited.

 

The character has largely spent her time as the extension of a male character during her time on the show instead of pursuing an unnecessary relationship & having her act as a semi-puppet of Victor's it would've been better to watch the Newman Family (with various degrees of reluctance) rally around her.

 

For example it would've been very easy (and much more realistic) for Sharon to befriend Chelsea because Sharon knows better than anyone how it feels to be a Newman-in-law and Abby could've chosen to support Chelsea & Connor because she knows the pain of losing a father at a young age.

 

But focusing on her friendship with Chloe doesn't work (like everything that's been done with Chloe since the terrible twist of making her Kate) because neither character has anything remotely resembling a three dimensional personality which is why their current story about who deserves revenge more aka the Grifting Baby Making Machine or the Insane Plot Contrivance has been thoroughly underwhelming in every way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

It didn't help that buck tooth has been in the role like forever. Heather Tom vs a better recast Abby would have been golden with Ashley and Nikki going at it again with Victor stuck in the middle.

 

Well Heather Tom was gone and was disinterested in returning. They should've cast Gina Tognoni or Sarah J. Brown as Victoria but that's another story. 

 

It boggles my mind how many great story beats that show is squashed over a decade. Just goes to show how TIIC (whether it is network heads or writers) don't thoroughly think out these stories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Yeah, it should have been Adam and Abby vs Nick and Victoria although Nick never cared a damn about Newman. I wish Adam would have turned out to be the son Victor wanted in Nick. Nick would have been jealous with envy at how great they got along. Abby and Victoria never had a rivalry....what a waste.

 

Going Victoria & Nicholas vs. Adam & Abby would've been too cliche.

 

It would've been much more interesting (and more in character) to go with Victoria & Adam vs. Nicholas & Abby (with Colleen caught in the middle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

 

She deserves a chance. The problem is that she keeps sacrificing character based work to push unnecessary agendas.


For example Judith Chapman a fun actress in small doses. SSM could've easily featured her in a reduced role and given the majority of stuff she's done with Gloria over the past six moths to Jill. Not only does Jess Walton have the chops AND previous emmy wins to justify the work, the majority of the stories Gloria has been involved in would make 100% more sense if Jill were in her place.

 

Same thing with Lauren. Don't do interviews about how Lauren is due for a "big" story then do a bait & switch where it largely features Gloria and ends after only a month.


The only reason Y&R seems somewhat watchable lately is because the vets are giving it their all. If SSM's Y&R were filled with a bunch of younger actors & characters like the current iterations of GH or DOOL it would be in much worse shape.

 

Unless SSM comes out and says otherwise, I will never believe Lauren's story ending was due to her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

 

Going Victoria & Nicholas vs. Adam & Abby would've been too cliche.

 

It would've been much more interesting (and more in character) to go with Victoria & Adam vs. Nicholas & Abby (with Colleen caught in the middle).

Well they didn't try any of it. Instead Victoria went her way and Nick became the true loser he's been for years. I don't see the purpose in Nick. He does nothing and Victor has stopped caring about him. Nick could leave the canvas and he wouldn't be missed since he hasn't been relevant in years.

1 hour ago, DeeeDee said:

 

 

 

Same thing with Lauren. Don't do interviews about how Lauren is due for a "big" story then do a bait & switch where it largely features Gloria and ends after only a month.


 

Aww...you're giving Sally too much credit. The story if you can call it one lasted 3 weeks if that....too bad there hasn't been a question and answer with TB on Twitter....I'd ask her what the hell happened to her big story?

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

I agree with this completely. I really don't understand her fascination with Gloria. Chapman's fine in small doses as you said but to me, she takes up airtime that Beth Maitland or Jess Walton should be given.

 

Agreed again on the Fenmore's storyline. It quickly became Gloria's. Now Lauren is barely on. Paul didn't get even one episode last month.

 

Not really sure why Chelsea gets the attention she does, either.

 

And I know she's the HW, but are we sure they're HER agendas? I'm sure Gloria is. Do we know what CBS wants to push? What she wants to push? What Mal wants to push?

 

There are alot of cooks in the kitchen. I think that's obvious. Everyone has a different agenda. I don't blame Sally for not being able to satisfy everyone BTS plus put out a stellar show. It's an impossible task. 

 

Chelsea got the attention she did (not so much now) because the show needed a new leading heroine to take Sharon's place cause she'd been destroyed AND cause Chelsea and Adam took off as a couple. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

 

Going Victoria & Nicholas vs. Adam & Abby would've been too cliche.

 

It would've been much more interesting (and more in character) to go with Victoria & Adam vs. Nicholas & Abby (with Colleen caught in the middle).

 

I don't think it is cliche to have Nikki's brats going against Ashley & Hope's. It makes sense seeing as Nikki has always brainwashed them into believing they were the only true Newman heirs. 

 

But why would Colleen be caught in the middle? B/c she was Victor's goddaughter? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

It didn't help that buck tooth has been in the role like forever. Heather Tom vs a better recast Abby would have been golden with Ashley and Nikki going at it again with Victor stuck in the middle.

 

I've said it repeatedly over the years but one of the things that's really ruined the characters has been the writers warping them to fit the strengths of miscast actors. AH is not a bad actress but she CANNOT carry a show. She makes a fine secondary or tertiary heroine but she is NOT a Lead Actress. 

 

If Y&R had committed to initially hiring (or currently recast the character with) a stronger actress as Victoria a lot of the effects of the bad writing could be avoided.

 

JM has the same problem. He was fine as Nicholas when he had strong actresses who helped elevate his performance but he CANNOT carry a show on his own (which is why poor Sharon Case has been thrown under the bus so many times).

 

12 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Well they didn't try any of it. Instead Victoria went her way and Nick became the true loser he's been for years. I don't see the purpose in Nick. He does nothing and Victor has stopped caring about him. Nick could leave the canvas and he wouldn't be missed since he hasn't been relevant in years.

 

The worst thing that EVER happened to Nicholas was how Y&R warped the character to make the Nick & Phyllis relationship happen. Nicholas was a strong character & JM was a decent actor but that story made NO sense and it came with the added bonuses of having the Newman Family abandoning a grieving mother and a certain group of stans insisting a desperate kiss between a patriarch & his daughter in law years prior and an emotional ONS between two friends is/was the same as A TORRID AFFAIR WITH THE WOMAN WHOSE SON YOU FEEL IS AT THE VERY LEAST SEMI-RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER'S DEATH.

Edited by DeeeDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

 

I've said it repeatedly over the years but one of the things that's really ruined the characters has been the writers warping them to fit the strengths of miscast actors. AH is not a bad actress but she CANNOT carry a show. She makes a fine secondary or tertiary heroine but she is NOT a Lead Actress. 

 

If Y&R had committed to initially hiring (or currently recast the character with) a stronger actress as Victoria a lot of the effects of the bad writing could be avoided.

 

JM has the same problem. He was fine as Nicholas when he had strong actresses who helped elevate his performance but he CANNOT carry a show on his own (which is why poor Sharon Case has been thrown under the bus so many times).

Since we have two below average actors we're stuck with them having relationship storylines. Victoria and Billy have been beaten to death and I am so sick of it. I thought SSM would split them up but they are still in the same orbit. Nick is now playing the role of Paul. He is the new detective in town. Poor Paul...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

 

I don't think it is cliche to have Nikki's brats going against Ashley & Hope's. It makes sense seeing as Nikki has always brainwashed them into believing they were the only true Newman heirs. 

 

I have no problem believing Victoria & Nicholas would initially work together (because of their shared belief of each being the only 'true' Newmans) but there is more than enough bad blood between them as individuals to justify them not working together.

 

Victoria has had no problem working with people she's disliked for years if/when it suits her own interests and Nicholas has always wanted to escape his father's shadow even at the expense of burning bridges within his own family.

 

But why would Colleen be caught in the middle? B/c she was Victor's goddaughter?

 

Yup. And because Abby is her sister and Victoria was her stepmother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×