Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Correct. Devon and Victor should have kept a bond over the years. It wouldn't have taken much. A few scenes here and there. But to do that the show would have to have had an interest in Devon all these years. They clearly didn't. The newly discovered interest in his character is a development brought on by interest in MiM/Hilary. 

• Members

Hevon fans don't get anything they want. Nothing. They can barely get the pairing.  So, I don't think it's them at all.

I think its more so that the show knows if they want to build something long term for Hilary and Devon as a couple, she'd benefit more from having a fully realized character as a romantic partner. He has to be more than someone she kisses and who tells her she's pretty.

Don't get me wrong, I think fans in general have a new appreciation for his character and also want him doing more. I've also seen loads of people who aren't couple shippers complaining about him having nothing to do. Folks care more about the character now. I'm sure that factors. 

• Members

Well, Hevon fans are not Lane fans so I doubt anyone who is not as crazy will get what they want but neither do I think show is immune to their entreaties.

Getting what you want and pushing the show to consider character who might otherwise be ignored are two separate issues.

I do think some viewers have a new appreciation for Devon's character though but I think it's the general audience who didn't necessarily care much about him before or since Dru died.

• Members

Possibly. I think the fan bases existence has kept both Devon and Hilary in story instead of backburned or in Hilary's case possibly fading away like Leslie and Tyler. 

I think Devon's stories always went over well when he had them. It's just without a romance, most characters are dead on a soap. He never had one so fans never saw him in that light until recently so he was easy to ignore. Same for the show. 

• Members

Yes Kay said that, but we knew better, and so did she because she used to spy on them. She knew Phillip truly loved Jill before she drove him off that cliff, because that's why she drove him off that cliff, and why she hated Jill so much. The crux for Jill was that Katherine killed him. Jill would scream at Katherine for killing the love of her life and Kay would scream back... no you did Jill, you killed him, it's your fault. And to everyone else in town, like Nikki, she claimed it was an accident.

Jill had no support for her child or herself. Kay took all Phillip wanted for her and his son away, and made her out to be the town tramp, and his son a bastard (at a time when that mattered). She was fighting for survival. The murder is what impacted Jill's life. Phillip loving Jill is what impacted Kay the most, because she lost him dead or alive.

Katherine acknowledging Phillip's feelings were legitimate, and that she treated Jill poorly out of spite, weren't revelations because they were known facts. Katherine just couldn't own up to it before. So it's nice that Jill got an apology, and that the ring brings her solace. Kay made some amends, at least the ones she could handle, before death.  Again, I would have made her make full amends, but that would be confusing to the "newer" viewers who only knew her as the grande dame. Plus, since it wasn't just Katherine, but also JC, that was gone I can see how they wanted her to go out a high note.

• Members

Yes they were revelations because NO ONE (besides Katherine) could prove otherwise.

So for Katherine to admit that the crux of their entire relationship was based on the fact that she was ALL the things Jill accused her of being over the years & that Jill richly deserved her spot as GC's Incumbent Matriarch should've been a HUGE game changer but Y&R ruined it (as they have with most things over the past 15 years).

• Members

But Katherine didn't admit to all the things Jill accused her of.

Jill didn't need Katherine to prove Phillip's love was legitimate. Phillip proved it to her. He divorced Katherine and planned to marry her. And after Kay drove him off the cliff he made sure to marry her on his deathbed. Sure Katherine's constant insistence on Jill's seduction, or her being a trashy woman, put some chips in her armour, but she always kept fighting because she knew better.

The thing Jill didn't know was that Katherine killed him on purpose. Only the viewers and Katherine knew that. Jill suspected it, but there was no way for her to know. She was always trying to get Kay to admit she killed him because Phillip loved her. That would have been the game changer. Because it's more than just a confirmation of feelings, it's murder/a crime, and it's money. If Kay would have been convicted of murder she couldn't have overturned Jill's marriage to Phillip. In fact at any time in her life, if it could have been proven that Kay killed him, she would have lost all rights to his property. There's no statute of limitations on murder.

Maybe that's another reason Kay didn't confess it all at the end. It would have been confessing to a crime and would have ruined her legacy. I suppose it wouldn't have helped Jill much either. She would have hated her all over again with a vengeance, and hating a dead woman would have ruined the rest of her life. At this point getting a few more dollars out of Kay's estate wouldn't be worth the bitterness.

Archived