X-Men Apocalypse Thread

Cheap21

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if thats the case then they should have made this a proper reboot, completely unrelated to the films. As it stands, it DOES still exist within the same continuity and they are flat out picking and picking what they choose to ignore. Jean should be a good 15 years older than Jubilee considering she was her teacher

• Members

They can't, though. That's never going to happen at this studio. Not as long as they have Hugh Jackman and other preexisting actors they want to utilize. FOX [!@#$%^&*] the bed on the X-Men continuity all by themselves starting with the first three mediocre-to-bad films, and they have been trying to pick up the pieces since, and pick and choose what they want to use or lose. That's their prerogative, but it also leaves them in the position of having to remake all of it in a past era, which allows them to move through the '60s, '70s and now the '80s. It's great fun as of FC and DOFP, but it will never be a clean break.

There will never be a total reboot until Marvel Studios finally regains the rights to the X-Men, as they have begun to do with Spider-Man at Sony. Which I am very much looking forward to happening with the X-Men someday - I don't think the Inhumans really work as a substitute - but in the meantime, we have these wacky films with their wacky new continuity and I am not going to be stressed about it. If I demanded they adhere to the old comics continuity we'd never have gotten Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Fassbender as Magneto or McAvoy as Xavier, and they are all excellent. I'm willing to follow the FOX X-Men down this rabbit hole where they remake whatever they want as long as the movies and casting are good, and they have been for the last two films and they look to be pretty solid in the next. It's not the X-Men I wanted, but it's a pretty good offshoot. In this continuity Jean and Jubilee are contemporaries - we live with it. AFAIC there is very little from the first three films worth keeping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

They fucked up all the continuity years ago - all I've cared about since First Class is that they make good movies now, for the first time. This new film and Singer (along with DOFP) owes everything to Matthew Vaughn on FC, as well as the MCU movies, for being willing to take risks with color, ideas and new energy.

The only tragedy of this is, they've perfectly cast so many roles here and finally embraced what they are in these last three films, but it'll likely all be for nothing when Marvel finally gets the rights back and reboots. Which is their right and they should do, but I wish they'd keep a lot of these actors.

I think they'll fix the lighting and height on Apocalypse in post-production. My only real complaint is the capes. Neither woman needs a cape. Maybe it's a Four Horseman thing.

• Members

I dont think the continuity got messed up until last years' DoFP film and this one is going to be even worse

This is the last of the trilogy arc they created in FC for Magneto, Xavier and Mystique, but this wont be the last film. They didnt cast all these new young people only to have them do one and be done. This is the start of a brand new era of X-men

Capes look great visually, but always seemed stupid from a practical standpoint. Its something for an enemy to grab and leave you vulnerable

• Members

They introduced countless X-characters, wasted them as pointless extras or cannon fodder and used and wasted or killed off everyone in lame stories for three movies in the 2000s. That's why all of FC is mostly random characters, the ones they had left to use that hadn't been burned through. They had to reboot the universe in DOFP just to deal with it. It's not perfect, but these last two are much, much, much better than what came before. If it was me, though, I'd have just ignored all the old movies and completely rebooted.

• Members

First Class could have served as a reboot, and IMO, it should have been. Nothing was really That would have eliminated the lack of character choice and even worrying about the original trilogy. With that said, no continuity was messed up until DoFP. Everything was fine until they tried to connect the two timelines. They should have left the original alone and let the new stuff introduced with First Class be its own new franchise

Archived