SHOWTIME: The Affair

SouthOfSoap

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGvBwCI1JI

This starts after Homeland this Sunday, but you can watch the full pilot now on youtube or wherever.

The acting is impeccable but with Dominic West (The Wire), Ruth Wilson (Luther), Maura Tierney and Joshua Jackson, I wouldn't expect any less (well maybe Jackson lol). Sarah Treem and Hagai Levy who wrote most of "In Treatment" on HBO, are really talented in making potentially mundane material very engrossing.

I find the whole concept of unreliable narrator fascinating (and timely too with Gone Girl out now), but I wonder if this show pushes the variance in memory a little too far with the pilot - the 2 version of events presented diverge too much for me to be believeable, but given they are being questioned by the police, there is motive to alter the facts beyond memory and I will see how it plays out.

Other than that, I thought the pilot was fantastic from the acting to the filmography to the script.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know if anyone is still watching this but I am just barely holding on. You know I adore Dominic West and this man still has the finest *ss around, but I just can't get into him in this role. Noah is supposed to be sort of an everyman and I just don't feel him in this role. Maybe it's my still seeing him as McNulty on The Wire. It doesn't help that I don't find Noah that interesting, entertaining, intellectually stimulating, emotionally complex, and the list goes on.

But Ruth Wilson as Alison is terrific and the rest of the cast and the locale almost make up for it. She's so good and so is the rest of the cast. Plus the look of the show is breathtaking.

• Members

If not for the amazing scenery and the way Allison makes me want to know what the heck really happened during this summer I would have given up a long time ago.

Dominic West is sexy as hell but even those hot sex scenes aren't enough. And the differences in their recollections is interesting but at the same time very frustrating. It's hard for me to decide which viewpoint is "the truth" or real. And is it possible that say for instance Noah's POV in episode 1 was true but in episode 2 he was completely making it up or remembering it wrong?

This last episode seemed to drag on forever.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Just watched the pilot and have started the second episode. The script is interesting enough to make me wonder just what the hell happened and I like that we have parts 1 and 2 (although I can see that getting tiring). Mostly, the show looks wonderful and is beautifully produced/shot and the acting is amazing.

There is something to be said about the gorgeousness of Dominic West and Joshua Jackson, too. It's some serious eye candy. I can already tell Noah is going to annoy me but damn if I can't understand why he'd get so much pu$sy thrown at him (at least from his point of view).

And, I mean, Noah's just suffering SO much: Within the space of one episode and seven minutes into episode 2, he has been interrupted from cumming not one, not two, but THREE times. Dammit, I'd be pissed too!

Archived