Y&R: Amelia Heinle interview

• Members

Lol this reminds me of that EB interview where he said you had to be working on Y&R at least 10 years for him to actually remember your first name. Sounds like it is going to be an exciting year for Amelia!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kim Zimmer was very plainspoken in her autobiography about what went down with her and CBS/P&G over her contract, and how she took the heat for it in public at the time. But I think she was right. And I think it was some of the same factors that had them down on Heather Tom - who was a relatively unconventional beauty, who they didn't value as much as, say, the Bells did. From what I recall hearing at the time I think it was them trying to meddle both creatively and aesthetically, as well as financially. And so HT walked and headed to NY to do theater and be a very good Kelly Cramer recast on OLTL, for too short a season IMO. Brian Frons only saw taking Tom as a cheap head rush, like so many of the swipes ABC and CBS took from each other in the Frons/Bloom eras - grabbing anyone they could from their rival on the dial and calling it a power move regardless of character or long-term value. And like so many other swipes from CBS, once the initial rush was gone he lost all interest in HT on OLTL and let her go. No show lets go of Heather Tom and doesn't regret it. That's why Brad Bell keeps banking on her in sweeps after sweeps.

I think CBS and/or Sony felt that their recast would make for a more conventional and traditionally satisfying heroine Victoria, but the character clearly has never worked since. Amelia Heinle has her moments but she's only ever lived or died on good material, which I'm not sure she's had since Loving ended. She was never right for that character, and that character has evidently never been right in the role the post-Bell higher-ups think she should be playing.

Archived