Bravo Network Programming

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

After catching the first episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy earlier this morning (as a part of the 10-year anniversary marathon that they're airing), it dawned on me that this was the turning point for the direction that the Bravo network was going to go in.

Prior to that show, the only notable thing (that I remember) was Inside The Actor's Studio, yet once Queer Eye blew up, ITAS got shoved to the wayside in favor of what would eventually the current programming that we have now (Real Housewives, Top Chef, what used to be Project Runway, etc.) and I can't help but wonder whether the change did it really good or if it was hindered by Andy Cohen's vision.

What say you, SON?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mainly remember Bravo! for ITAS and reruns of St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, and thirtysomething. Queer Eye definitely marked the major change, and honestly, it makes no difference to me. Even as a rerun-loving kid, I rarely watched the shows they aired (though I'd probably tune in every now and then now), and as much as I've tried to get into their various reality shows, I'm just not interested. I'm one of the few gays not in love with Andy Cohen, too.

• Members

I'm trying to remember Andy Cohen the first network programming exec to become a celebrity in his own right, because I can't remember if there'd been one before him that went from programming behind the scenes to being in front of the camera as a means to promote himself (it's usually the other way around with talent deciding to executive produce/launch their own shows). Sure, I knew of Brandon Tartikoff and Les Moonves, but aside from a cameo on Saved By The Bell (in Tartikoff's case), I don't think that they wanted the celebrity.

If he was the first, then I guess one could call him a trailblazer and point out that going down that road played a large part of Bravo becoming the gold standard for reality TV programming (fuckery).

• Members

It was a great move.

Like the shows iof not it turned bravo into a network with real weight instead of that random network it was. It also happened suddenly but they were able to keep the momentum up and it wasnt just a flash in the pan moment. Some networks take years and years of original programming to finally become half as popular as bravo did.

• Members

I used to watch some of their imports, documentaries and profiles from BBC shows.

My peak of watching Bravo was the first few seasons of Project Runway and Top Chef. I gave up on Project Runway when they so clearly began going for shock value and protecting some really unpleasant people (like that skeevy guy who won season 3, with the neck brace tattoo or whatever - that was my last season). Top Chef I kept up with for a while longer, but I never could get entirely past the second season, which actually got into physical assault. How did a cooking show turn into a group of people dragging someone around a room to try to shave their head? Was I supposed to enjoy this?

I watch the Housewives shows sometimes. I think they've done a better job maintaining some than others. I think Andy Cohen sometimes lets his personal feelings bleed over into too many of the decisions.

• Members
I have a love/hate relationship with Andy. I love him on WWHL and sometimes at the reunions but he seems like an incredibly petty person who holds grudges. Also disturbs me how he gleefully participates in destroying friendships and families. (Though he is not totally to blame as some of these people sign on season after season).

• Members

I don't blame him too much for destroying relationships, as that's on them, but I think he overestimates the appeal of this. I also feel like he's not quite as adorable as he thinks he is. He's a smart guy, with charisma, but when he puts out things like the twerking video, where he's supposed to be so precious, I just sort of roll my eyes. But he's managed to keep the current era of Bravo going much longer than I'd expected.

In the long run, the Project Runway lawsuit fiasco actually worked out for them. That show started becoming so toxic and dirty and repulsive.

• Members

Queer Eye probably did introduce me to Bravo. But what hooked me was the Celebrity Poker show they used to have.

The RH franchise is trash I do not watch. Bravo's been on the decline for me---other than Jeff's shows and Top Chef, I don't watch. I think they need a fresh perspective---whoever thought crap like Top Artist was a good idea is officially burnt out.

• Members

The first Bravo show I ever made a point to watch was Tabatha's Salon Takeover back in 2008 or 2009. It wasn't til early 2011 that I became a bravoholic with all the housewives. I think the Bravo brand overall really sticks out as a cable network for women and gay men. And a strong network at that. It has a successful late-night talk show, something that other similar networks like WeTV or Oxygen can't boast. I'm sure the Housewives era still has another couple good years left before it fades from relevancy.

Archived