Your best and worst in primetime TV 2012

DRW50

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best Show: Homeland - Sheer perfection. A season with no flaws in any way whatsoever.

Best New Character / Most Improved Show: Yvonne Strahovski as Hannah on Dexter - She was a huge part in bringing this show back to life after the terribly amateurish season before it. I pray they find a way to bring her back for the final season, though I'm just happy she didn't get the Lila treatment.

Best Exit: Sybil on Downton Abbey - She was my absolute favourite character on the show, but her surprise death was heartbreakingly brilliant television.

Best New Show: Girls - People idiotically gave this show the shaft from jump. It was hilarious and original and the women are strong, the friendhsips not forced and the ugliness of the characters, especially of Hannah, aren't forgotten because she's the lead. I just pray it doesn't fall into the sophmore slump. And if someone watches the PARTY episode and doesn't enjoy this show, then they really don't know how to enjoy awesomeness and will probably die alone.

Best Couple: Terry and Toni (David Morse & Melissa Leo) on Treme - Thank God these two got together. They didn't have some typical couple story of contrived angst or whathaveyou but whenever they shared scenes their chemistry was undeniable and I'm just glad TBTB saw that as well.

Honorable mention: Davis / Janette, Treme and Joel / Julia, Parenthood

Worst Plot: The Porters boringness on Revenge - I don't think I need to explain my decision here at all. I actually like Jack (and Aiden and Daniel), but holy crap did I not give a f*ck about their stupid bar. It has nothing to do with the rest of the show, is the epitome of fast forward material, and if a show makes me not want to watch the gorgeous and awesome Michael Trucco, well, that just pisses me off!

Most gripping show: American Horror Story - The first episode gave me pause, but once the second came with the possession of that boy who taunted Sister Jude, I was all in once again. The complete torture of Lana, Sister Jude falling from grace, ending up as PATIENT in the institution, Grace's death, Shelley's rotting deformation at the hands of Dr. Arden and, of course, the complete joy of Sister Mary Euinice being possessed by the devil. This show is just a thrill ride and anyone that's missing it is a fool!

Worst Lead Character of a show I love: Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) on Boardwalk Empire - I hate him. Not love to hate, just pure seething hatred. He sucks, he's not sympathetic and honestly, I don't understand why Buscemi is a praised actor. However, I can't stop watching because almost every other character on this show is fantastic to watch. The three biggest contenders being Gillian, Richard Harrow and Nelson Van Alden ... and Bobby Cannavale's Gyp Rosetti helped make season three the best season of the series so far. It's just too bad he couldn't successfully kill Nucky in the end, but watching his crazy ass, there was no way he was going to succeed, unfortunately. Not to mention, the series finale left practically every character in limbo as to whether they could return next season. Has Margaret finally left Nucky, will Harrow (who kidnapped/saved Gillian's grandson/son) get a happy ending, and has Gillian finally lost the plot after all the tragedy she's gone through? I have no idea what season four will bring, but with these lingering questions and the imfamous Al Capone in a high place of power, anything could and probably will happen, especially since this show loves killing off my favourite characters (Dormody, Angela, Owen!)

Best Character Transition: Kevin on Nurse Jackie - Simply put, this dumb schmuck finally wisened up and got some balls, giving the show the ammo to show what it does best, watching Jackie squirm!

Best Single Scene: Cersei almost poisoning her son to save him from a brutal death on Game of Thrones - This epic series probably has a million other go to scenes to choose from, more harsh, more thrashing, more explosive, but this, this subtletly poignant scene is what makes this show one of the absolute best. And thankfully, here it is ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5edak6uHMGo

Best rollercoaster ride: The Killing - From episode one I placed my bets on the mother played by the exquisite Michelle Forbes. I thought her guilt was eating away at her, not her grief, and boy was I wrong. Many people complained, as they do, that the second season dragged, but I loved every push and pull this story took and the reveal, Jesus f*cking Christ, was the reveal worth it!

I would also give Linden and Holder the Best TV Friendship!

Most Underrated Show - Shameless (US): The second season was just as awesome as the first. Comparing it to the UK version might not be the best idea, but this show knows how to shock, entertain, make you laugh, make you cry, and hell, it might even want to make you get f*cked up. Watch this show people, you won't regret it!

Best Comedy - HAPPY ENDINGS - Oh my God, I'm so happy I watched this show for most of the season. I don't really watch comedies until the show is done so I can watch it season by season, but damn, these are people I want to know, be and love!

• Members

And just one more category ...

The show with the hottest guys: The Vampire Diaries!

Stefan, Damon, Tyler, Matt, Jeremy (my favourite), Mason, Klaus, Elijah, & Alaric. And if they would have kept Sean Faris on this show for more than three episodes I might have gone into overdrive. These guys are so hot, sometimes I have to watch this show twice ohmy.png

Runner Up: Boardwalk Empire - Dormody, Lucky, Owen, Gyp - Men being men and looking good while they do it. What's a better turn on than that? This answer use to go to Rescue Me, but I'm glad with that show gone, this one has stepped up to the plate. Of course, now only Lucky remains alive, so next year's runner up will certainly have to change. What is a boy to do? blush.png

• Members

Worst Final Season - Fringe. I was glad it got one more season to wrap things up but now I wish it had ended last season. I hate the season-long observer arc, the time jump. I'm finishing it out these last couple of weeks since I watched the show from the start but I feel a disconnect from it that wasn't there before.

Most Annoying Twins - the Sri Lankans on The Amazing Race. Made you want to yell STFU every episode.

Worst Idea to Kill Off A Character - Supernatural's Bobby Singer. Without Bobby around to remind the boys what idjits they are, Dean and Sam (Dean, in particular) have become more grating on the nerves and not just to each other. This show keeps killing off (and sometimes reviving in different form) its supporting characters and introducing new ones who aren't anywhere near as charismatic.

Show that Most Needs to Stop Introducing New Characters - Once Upon A Time. I like classic horror but, seriously, Victor Frankenstein with the fairy tale crowd? Enough Captain Hook. I'm still wondering if Pinocchio is rotting away.

And 2012 was the worst year for the deaths of so many entertainers, especially the classics. sad.png

• Members

Best new show: Arrow. I am not a comic book nerd by any stretch, but Stephen Amell is wonderful as The Green Arrow. I swear, The CW has the hottest guys on TV period.

Worst couple: Castle and Beckett. The show spent all of season 4 making Kate utterly detestable so now that they're together, I can barely stand to watch the show anymore.

• Members

Best Show - I agree with Bright Eyes. Homeland. I only started watching it earlier this month & ended up catching up on all 24 episodes in 4 days. It's really gripping. I was on the edge of my seat each episode & there were so many times I found myself completely immersed in the show & getting lost (in a good way) in its storytelling. I really recommend this show to ANYONE. Watch Homeland!

Worst Show - Single Ladies (Vh1). To this day I still don't even know how season 2 ended. I had to stop watching because it got beyond awful. Denise Vasi did NOT help! her character was with a new man in each episode! Things just got too messy and I despised how Stacey Dash's character was dissed & dismissed.

Best Reality Show - Survivor: Philippines (CBS). The best season the show has had in quite a while. It provided some interesting players, classic tribal councils, & a really deserving winner!

Worst Reality Show - Jersey Shore (MTV). It just went downhill!

Most Embarrasing Show - WWE Raw/Smackdown (USA/SyFy)

Most Disappointing Show - Degrassi (Teen Nick)

Best New Show (tie) - Catfish (MTV) & Love And Hip Hop: Atlanta (Vh1)

Best Episode/Most Underrated Show - Shameless (S2) second to last episode. I still think about that episode sometimes. Won't go into details but it was PERFECT SOAP! I agree with Bright Eyes again that that show is very underrated.

Best Actor/Actress - Damian Lewis & Claire Danes (Homeland). Anyone who watches that show knows why!

Worst Actress (and character) - Morgan Saylor (Dana, Homeland). OMG. This little girl is the worst I have seen on a TV show EVER. Narrow-browed, monotone, & whiny. Doesn't move her bottom lip. She has so many little acting ticks like flailing her arm in a huff at the end of each scene. Her character wears the same boots everyday. I could just go on. She & her character are pretty much the only fault I have w/that show. I really think a more versatile Actress could've helped that.

Worst Actor - Jahmil French (Dave, Degrassi). CRINGE!

Best Exit - Vanessa (90210) - Bitch fell off a balcony and was swept away by the ocean!

Worst Return - Vanessa (90210) - Bitch suddenly surfaced again & the first we saw her she was swimming in a pool at a party....WTH.

• Members

Best Show - Scandal

Worst Show - Partners.

Best Reality Show - Survivor

Worst Reality Show - Eastwood & Co

Most Embarrasing Show - Honey Boo Boo

Most Disappointing Show - Revenge season 2

Best New Show - Scandal

Worst New Show - Girls

Best Episode - Damages. The one with Patty & Ellen in the airport where Ellen tells Patty she knows she tried to kill her.

Most Underrated Show - Happy Endings

Best Actor/Actress - Kerry Washington (Scandal) & Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)

Best Finale - Gossip Girl

Best Character - Olivia Pope, Scandal - I love that the show allows us to hate her sometimes. & Daryl Dixon, TWD

Worst Character - Adrianna, 90210

Best Couple - Emily & Daniel, Revenge

Worst Couple - Chuck & Blair, Gossip Girl

Best Cast - Happy Endings

Archived