Trayvon Martin Killing

Eric83

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Today we just see crabbed Orwellian Newspeak that comes out "political correctness". Words can hurt. Free people should never hide from words. Their sheer power makes it necessary for each of us to master language through use, lest we be pinioned by the rhetoric of evil. If you speak the truth of your heart, and someone isn't offended, then you're doing it wrong. See how far we've fallen

• Members

I agree that sometimes political correctness is taken too far. However, if you're "speaking the truth of your heart", and it includes degrading, inflammatory or racist feelings, be prepared for what happens to you.

Hate speech, in one's heart or not, should not be allowed to go unchallenged because of some perceived pc overreach.

• Members

GMac, I agree. Free speech is a two way street. One is free to speak one's ideas with the awareness that someone else is free to rebut or challenge the ideas expressed by that person.

I often feel that when someone accuses another of 'playing the race card' it is a cowardly and lazy way of silencing the person's statement without providing a cogent argument of why they find the person's argument to lack merit.

Either way, I wish people would speak in a thoughtful manner based on coherent, comprehensive statements or just keep it to themselves and mull it over. Zimmerman by now, should know that he doesn't have to say the first thing that pops out of his brain-- he has the right to remain silent...Lord knows, he's been told this enough times.rolleyes.gif

Archived