DAYS: Al Rabin, former EP/director, has passed away

• Members

Al Rabin, the long-time supervising executive producer and director of "Days of Our Lives", has passed away. Rabin died on Tuesday, August 14, 2012. He was 76.

Alvin Rabin was born to Sol and Fannie Rabin in Waukegan, Illinois on January 26, 1936. He started his career "in charge" early, as he was the President of his sophomore class at Waukegan High School.

He began his daytime career as a director at "General Hospital." Rabin then joined the "Days" staff as a director in February 1975. His first chance at producing came when "Days" expanded to an hour in April 1975. He did double duty as both a producer and director from 1975-1976, then went back to directing full-time. He continued to direct when he was named supervising executive producer in January 1980. He briefly left his position as executive producer in 1989, while he continued to be credited as a creative consultant. He returned in December 1989 and remained as supervising executive producer until June 17, 1992. Rabin received 9 Daytime Emmy nominations during his time at "Days."

After leaving "Days", Rabin was executive producer of the short-lived "Valley of the Dolls" in 1994. He then retired from show business and enjoyed spending time with his family, doing lots of traveling and playing golf. He also developed a program at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, teaching young students to do video histories of their grandparents.

When asked in 1996 about returning to "Days", he said this: "I've been asked several times to come back. I look fondly with a tremendous amount of pleasure on the years I was there. For the most part, it was an absolutely wonderful time. But that was then, and now, there are other things that are just more rewarding for me, not that soaps weren't for me back then."

In his 1996 interview with Soap Opera Weekly, he said his philosophy about doing the show was this: "Every day, every act, every scene, we always asked ourselves: What did we share with the audience?" In his speech upon receiving a Soap Opera Digest award in 1989, he gave special thanks to "Jim Young, who taught so many of us professionalism and dedication; Betty Corday, who taught so many of us loyalty and a sense of family; to my children, Beth, Jeff and Larry, who taught me about personal joy; and to my wife, Laura, who taught me openness, honesty and love."

Rabin is survived by his wife, Laura, and three children, Beth, Jefferey and Lawrence.

For pictures of Rabin, along with the video of his acceptance speech at the 1989 Soap Opera Digest Awards, please visit http://www.jason47.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They must have had a lot of respect for him to keep asking him to return. I wonder how he felt about the Reilly era.

I always remember the stuff about when he was trying to phase out "negativism" early in his run. I've always wondered what that meant. Firing people, presumably. I know there were the big backstage feuds at the time.

• Members

RIP

I shall always associate Al Rabin with DOOL's success in the '80s and HW at the time Sheri Anderson. I believe Sheri Anderson had said that her goal was to write each episode as though it were the Friday cliffhanger, something I'm sure Rabin also believed in.

• Members

Unlike GH, though, '80's DAYS retained the traditional, Midwestern values that had been in place from the start. As outrageous as the stories had become, Salem still felt like Salem, or at least the kind of town you'd want to be your personal home-away-from-home. (Bear in mind, though, this is coming from one who's seen pre-'80's stuff only on YT; and even then, the pickings are mighty slim.) Aside from GUIDING LIGHT, in fact, no other soap on television had a bigger sense of "heart".

• Members

I just never have understood why the show was so gutted in 1979 and 1980. I never will understand it. It's a miracle the show survived at all.

One thing I like when I watch the 80s material is that they tried to find fun and creative uses for Tom and Alice. For people (like me) who aren't into supercouples or location shoots and "adventure," it's kind of sweet to see silly stories like Tom the beat poet.

• Members

I asked Don Frabotta, who played Dave the maitre d' on "Days" from 1974-1993, if he'd like to share some memories of Al Rabin, the executive producer of "Days" from 1980-1992, who passed away on August 14, 2012 at the age of 76. Don was gracious enough to do so, and here's what he wrote:

"I was very saddened to hear that Al Rabin passed away. To me and for me, Al Rabin was a very special person. I remember when he first came to "Days" and how he worked with people as a director. He respected the actor and their work. I always looked forward to going in, knowing that Al would be directing for that day, further knowing that it would be a fun and special day. I enjoyed watching him work with the actors. When he became executive producer, he chose to carry the banner of Betty Corday, treating the cast and crew as family. He took an interest in the person as well as the actor. He was kind, a good mediator and mentor. It was as executive producer that, for me, Al became very inclusive, bringing Dave more into the show and into the storylines even though Dave had no storyline of his own. Dave catered the weddings. Dave went to the weddings. Dave served breakfast in bed. Dave helped Alice in her detective work, at Alice's Restaurant. Dave was included in show things just as if he was a contract player. When Doug's Place on the Lake was being "refurbished" and Dave was not seen for a couple of months, I was assured by Al that I would be back, to be patient. True to his word, I was back and more fully involved. There is a word in Yiddish that, today, is part of our everyday vernacular: mensch - a person of honor and integrity. This was Al Rabin, to me and for me, and all those involved with the production of "Days of Our Lives."

Don Frabotta, 8/17/12

Archived