People Who Talk A Lot Yet Say Nothing

Wales2004

• Members

Besides politicians, who are some fo the wordiest people you've heard that either say nothing at all or something they could have used less words to say?

I'm going to start off with the two men on my list that seem to believe the more sylllables the better:

Eric Michael Dyson who used the words "vapidity" and "vacuity" along with countless others just to say he was insulted, and Stephen A. Smith (ESPN) who is loud and loves to say "plethora," "bloviate," and "egregious" often to cover up the fact that he generally does not know anything about sports (other than basketball) and is actually not saying anything at all. If you use big words, people will think you're smart and that you're saying something brilliant. And in hte latter's case, shouting means you're winning the debate/argument but truly it just means that you're making a whole lot of unnecessary noise.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Shouting is a sign you are not in control I usually feel. As for big words, I disagree. The words you mentioned really aren't all that big. "Plethora" is eight letters long, 3 syllables. It just happens to be a word not used as often as "a bunch", but plethora is one word and gets the job done. Egregious is another word that doesn't seem all that big. I think the problem is we only normally use a small portion of the english language daily. (I could have said "scintilla" but might be a word you put with plethora. There are so many words looking for love, and if we all used more words conversations and talking would be more interesting, indubitably.

• Members

You're right that the words are not that big but they do seem big to me when someone is talking about something that doesn't warrant that voicabulary.

My question to you is do you ever feel that sometimes people use words to be impressive when they can say what they have to say in a much clearer and concise method? That's all I was expressing. There are probably plenty of people who find both men extremely intelligent and entertaining. I personally don't. It's not a knock on vocabulary but it's my personal knock on those two's seemingly pretentious use of it.

Archived