Nora Ephron Gravely Ill

Ann_SS

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember how much I enjoyed When Harry Met Sally the first time I saw it, how true the characters felt, and I always try to watch that movie once a year, or most of it anyway. The movie is just so endearing, a rare example of the right cast, the right music, the right director, and most of all, the right script.

Ephron movies did sort of fall into a rut but her 80's and 90's work can still tug at your heartstrings and make you feel some of the love and romance. Few romantic comedies do that today. Now someone is burping up vomit.

• Members

I loved and still love When Harry Met Sally. It is a heart warming romance that never gets old. I think that the scene where Sally fakes the orgasm in the restaurant is as crude as anything that we get in comedies today. Yet it is hysterical and totally works.

• Members

She and Nancy myers are really the only 2 women in the industry who have been allowed to make films they wanted to the way they wanted to why. Because they made money and their films tend to appeal to an audience Hollywood has and still ignores, mature women. And that doesn't mean over 50 . None of the romcoms Nora ephron even made was the cookie cutter trash romcoms of more recent years have become.

• Members

It was a crazy scene, but Sally's basic characterization throughout the movie (generally an uptight person) makes it funnier, and then the bit at the end with Reiner's mother is a funny and cute capper. I never thought it was like what we get today, which would be Sally taking a dump in the sink. There was a balance which isn't in movies now.

Her movies also had a certain everyday type of humanity which the Reese Witherspoon era of romantic comedies lacks.

She also sort of made her life into a movie, with Julie Kavner. It's not a great movie, but I liked Kavner's work in it (for years I thought the daughter was Winona Ryder, as Winona had played that part about 10 times in other films).

Archived