GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Listed as Writers at the time of the 1st Nurses' Ball (1994) was Labine, ValJean, Harris and also Elizabeth Korte & Patrick Mulcahey, just as a point of reference. And, Labine left voluntarily in 1996. Riche was fired in 2001. Shapiro tortured Linda Dano & all of the rest of us with her ALL SHOWS experiment from June 28, 1999 - Mar. 13, 2004. (She started just 3 days after the last AW broadcast.) And, then Shapiro herself was outta there & on to FOX in 2004. My mind boggles at all the moving & shaking that was going on. One tiny tidbit that seems surreal to me is that Shapiro & her husband founded Soap Opera Digest! Many years before all of this.

• Members

Some of that producer credit thing was also so that Pratt and Guza were on equal terms too, as Frons had lured him back as well.

And people forget that Guza had a consulting producer credit at PC when he came back from Sunset Beach.  Once upon a time he and Riche did get along.

I wonder who wanted Alan Q gone.  According to other writers from the show (Michele Val Jean), that was not a Guza decision.  And I have also heard that there was friction between Guza and JFP at times too.

• Members

This item from July 77 talks about Robert Pollock having to leave as headwriter due to health issues. Don't think I've ever seen mention of this before. Perhaps that explains the quick turnover of writers.

Perhaps the Pollocks quit suddenly so Irving Elman was quickly brought in while they searched for a more permanent writer (who turned out to be Marland)

It also memntions plans to go to an hour 6 months before it happened.

Although the illness excuse could be just a way of covering that the Pollocks were fired. Ratings were bad at this time.

Big changes for "General Hospital." Head writer Robert Mason Pollock, who gave "General Hospital" a clean bill of health when it was on the terminal list last year, will be leaving the show. Pollock has been " warned by physicians to give up his job or face up to serious eye problems. Pollock underwent surgery last year. In addition to new head writers, "General Hospital" is getting  ready to expand to an hour.

• Members

But, Jill didn't have power over hiring & firing? Didn't she fire Anna Lee? Everyone that I've talked to about JFP's tenure at GH blames her for Anna Lee & Stuart Damon.

I just saw a new movie touted with a GH alum in it. This should produce a guffaw, at least.

Alicia Leigh Willis in a movie

Edited by Tonksadora
Link missing.

• Members

I am sure she received little pushback if any at all for Anna Lee from Guza or Frons.  Part of her appeal was cutting the top line expenditures of her shows (talent and sets) even if she often went over budget due to other factors and had to scramble (sweeps and production).  That looked like a clear budget decision.  Same with Shell Kepler, Brad Maule, and to some extent, Jacklyn Zeman.  For her that was budget, and they were not really being used by Guza anymore or at all.

I can see where the contention was for Alan.  The Quartermaines, especially Alan, were really set up for antagonism with Sonny, and dramatic tension and pathos with Jason not remembering his past, and Michael.  While not really in a story of his own, Alan was still part of the fabric of the show Guza was writing.  From all the conjecture I have been able to find, someone with decision making power wanted Alan gone, and if JFP used her focus group magic to free up money or Frons wanted a big cut or all of the above, who knows.  I do know the Alan as ghost thing was just to slowly get the audience used to him being gone after the outrage.