GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Scott and Laura hasn't worked in aeons. And the show made her way too indulgent of him in recent years when he would do insane shít and she'd just cluck "oh, Scotty!" I love Kin Shriner and I want him on the show, but putting them together post-LNL is always a one-way train to humiliation and Cuckville. There's a slim chance you could've tried it when he first came back to the show around 1999, with serious, full-on commitment from the writing team for him as an older lead. They never had that or gave him that. It's been dead for almost 50 years and the 2013 revisit was just humiliating and insane for both of them and completely unnecessary. It was one of Ron's many forgettable plot widgets. You barely even noticed they were briefly 'remarried', because there was almost zero physical affection and everything had happened offscreen. It was done to try to goose story for Luke and Laura, and this was happening even while a) Tony refused to play Luke and Laura and b) Frank was nickel and diming Genie off the show again.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree. I like Kevin, but he and Laura have absolutely no romantic or sexual chemistry together.

It was a case of short-sightedness and poor writing, to take Laura out of a relationship with Scotty (with whom she had had a long history and shared lots of chemistry), only to leave her floundering around until pairing her with Kevin, with whom she shares no spark.

I say, let's go with Laura and Scooty, Round Three!

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I think Kevin and Laura are boring, inexplicable and comfortable even if Genie clearly loves it, I'd break them up and give her a new man, but Scott and Laura Round 89 is an exercise in emasculation.

• Members

Weak, incompetent writing has done in many a fine pair or would-be storyline, alas. I blame Frank and the writers for most of the show's failures. Genie and Kin could pull it off with the right support from TPTB.

I like both of the characters too, just not as a couple. On soaps, when there's no fire, no passion, no spark, boredom sets in and the characters are backburnered or settled into "old-people, tent-pole" status. GF and JL are too charismatic individually for that fate.

• Members

Yeah, it probably doesn't work for a soap, but Kevin/Laura make sense to me.  It really seems like a real life couple that were just tired of the drama and found a nice, easing coupling.  I still stan for Kevin/Lucy, but I don't find Kevin/Laura bad.  I just think Scotty/Laura puts Scott in a Jax like corner where they know their love interest loves someone else more.  Kevin doesn't have the Luke baggage Scott has.  

• Members

I know what I'd do with Kevin and Laura ending, but I would take the time to break them up pretty slowly and move him back to Lucy, and her to someone new and more in the mold of Luke or Scorpio. Kevin and Laura have their fans, the actors love it, and there's a lot of drama to play with Ryan, Lucy, Victor, etc. in there through the process before getting to the result. (The Luke factor would only come into play if TG committed to a limited run, and probably only to end in killing him off.)

Plus IIRC Jon Lindstrom is still off contract, and that's the way Frank likes his vets. If he can't have Genie off-contract, her easy-bake mate is the next best thing.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I like them too and I tend to agree with everything you've said. And the best part about them is that they just let each other be. That may be a bit boring but its nice to have a couple who isn't all up in each other's business all the time.

• Members

Right?   I know they aren't the most exciting, but Laura/Kevin have had a lifetime of drama and it feels alright for them to choose to have a nice, steady, stable relationship.  Laura isn't 17 anymore.  It not all fun and games.  It seems like the mature choice for a 55 year old woman. They aren't being sold as a great supercouple.  I get that's not what soaps are made of, but I like it more than, say, Carly running around in circles with Sonny making the same insane choice hoping it will work out this time.

• Members

I agree 100% that in real life, a stable, steady, uneventful pairing like Laura and Kevin would not only work, but be a great thing. As I age, myself, I don't look for or expect ROMANTIC FIRE! ENDLESS PASSION! NEVER-ENDING DRAMA! I just want peace and tranquility. But that doesn't work with couples on soaps, alas.

I still root for Kevin and Lucy too, but if the show ever gets a good producer and savvy writers again (I know I am dreaming in Technicolor) they could make anything work, even Laura and Scotty. If not, *I* will take him! LOL!

• Members

To me it makes sense.  Laura had all the fire and passion.  I like that she's grown up and not chasing a teenage dream fantasy and wants stability.  Laura always craved stability even with Luke.  She was down for adventure, but she wanted a home, a family, peace as well.  It works for me.  I get that Laura is an icon and people might want more for her, but I prefer this to women like Brenda* who is still holding out for her teenage fantasy with Sonny to work at 50 years old. *I am not speaking ill of my girl, but you know what I mean.  He's not leaving the mob Bren!

• Members

Again, I agree, except that I do not believe the current PTB have the will, interest, talent and ability to write continuing storylines for stable, mature, evolved "older" characters, even though their evolution would be totally understandable and desirable in real life. We've already seen how Laura, Scotty, Bobbie, Monica and so many others have been put out to pasture and/or discarded completely because the show can't or won't write anything for them that is "traditionally exciting."

My concern is that with unimaginative producing and writing, the show won't keep up with good, evolved, stable characters long term, and will end up letting them go the way GH phased out beloved vets like Audrey Hardy.

• Members

I don't think Laura will be phased out.  I like the fact the show isn't trying to sell you a new, passionate romance with Laura.  It's not going to be Luke/Laura so why bother.  I wish they would bring Lucky/Lulu back to anchor her more though.  I really think there is a place for Laura on the show to be that steady main character.  A wise talk to.  I don't want to put her prematurely out to pasture or anything, but it just feels right for Laura to be that person. 

• Members

I don't trust the soaps to keep anyone on canvas, no matter how beloved by the fans or important to the shows' fabric they are. They've written out Laura multple times before. Still, I hope you are right about them not letting her go...AGAIN.

I agree with you yet again in that Laura should be a wise, talk-to; the tent-pole, heart and center of the show, surrounded by family. Lucky, Lulu and even Lesley (as much as Denise Alexander wishes to appear) should be around her. The show needs a strong core family again; one which is NOT driven by mobsters, killers and general degenerates.

• Members

Every time they've tried to write Genie out in the last decade it's been because Frank tried to lowball her or use her without a contract. Each time he's had to bend and bring her back. She's now Mayor of Port Charles, and Denise/Lesley appears reasonably often, and Laura is active in story. I think she's in as good a position as she can be in right now, though I don't necessarily love the stories.